2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

There was some crazy tide slop at Sangster on the west side today, but the fishing was excellent. Action all day, lots of nets out. Moochers and jiggers were especially killing it. Sounder was lit up with bait and arches, depths didn't seem to matter, although chovies were definitely hotter then lures this day.

There was some crazy tide slop at Sangster on the west side today, but the fishing was excellent. Action all day, lots of nets out. Moochers and jiggers were especially killing it. Sounder was lit up with bait and arches, depths didn't seem to matter, although chovies were definitely hotter then lures this day.

Took me about 10 minutes to get my fish. Saw a few others taken while jigging for lings. Hopefully the wind stays down and I can cross over there next week.

This is the second clipped fish I've caught there in as many weeks. Will be interesting to hear back where they came from. Head's going in to the depot today.

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_133121.jpg
    IMG_20180609_133121.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 114
Out yesterday from 5 - 8 pm. Managed two smaller chinook for a couple of guests so that was awesome! Water was good but winds came up a bit later on. Much less bait around than I have seen in other trips but also less weed and algae as well.

145' in 225' off Gerald on Skinny G and Cop Car.

Out last night from 6 to 9 at Ballenas. Lots of bait and were rewarded with 2 springs and a coho. Released a few, lost a few. Irish cream and white hootchie. 120ft on the riggers.

finally got out today as my boat was in the repair mode, started right out of FC, 130 to 200 feet of water down between 90 to 150 feet no springs but landed 8 coho, everyone one of them was a hatchery. Of all the years I have fished around here this is a first. The hootchie of the day was a cop car and a coho killer in cop car, go figure

COHO are in was out for the Low Slack this afternoon 2 keeper Coho didn’t even catch one wild one today all hatchery mabbie 6 or 8 to the boat lost both springs at the boat the green splatter back at 180-200 a couple at 140’
Pulled a spoon on the starboard side all day but the hoochie got 80% of the action

Reactions: Che
Well limited out pretty quick this morning lots of Coho to be caught out there mostly hatchery right now 150-180 started with hoochies and was slow so switched over to a spoon on one side and BOOM spoons it was today

Reactions: Che
Got a late start today, some of the fleet was coming in tubbed out before 10am!

Straight over to Sangster.

Released one Chinook. Tomic 144UVii 5" Tubby, 69' 3.2kts
Coho were up high, got several in the 20-40' coloumn, Trap Shack Needle G, 3kts. Bonked hatchery for the BBQ
Second chinook, #13 clipped fish. 45', Gforce Outfitter, 3kts.
Tried to jig a ling, but no luck.

This is my fourth or fifth adipose clipped chinook this year. I wonder where they are all coming from?

Just got in from the humps - lots of action, lots of undersized, and lots of dogs...

Played 2 springs (both wild) - cop car and Skinny G at 190' in 240' with fairly liberal 45 deg angle on the DR.

Dogs? You're getting spiny dogfish on spoons?! That's a sure bet you need to speed up.

How was the salad at the humps last night? There was a huge slick of it just below the harbour coming in.

Dogs? You're getting spiny dogfish on spoons?! That's a sure bet you need to speed up.

How was the salad at the humps last night? There was a huge slick of it just below the harbour coming in.
I thought to speed up but lines were even more angled than usual and still caught them. Will try even more I guess. Salad was okay for us.

Do you have a GPS to measure Speed Over Ground, or are you just running angle on the dangle?

If no GPS, get a GPS speedtracker app on your phone that will give you a SOG. Or you can run the navionics app too. The current and ball weight can really affect that rigger angle. Big tide changes recently mean strong current, so it's good to know your SOG. But if you're hooking dogfish on spoons, you're probably running too slow.

Food for thought - last two times out, we hit early while setting lines and kicker not yet engaged. Tried to match dangle using kicker to what I noted on the hit but maybe I will check for SOG as well. Rarely use the SOG as I find dangle more consistent but maybe my guesstimate is not that accurate :)

Back