2018 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Headed up to Thormanby to fish for 4 days - leaving tonight. Any intel on the fish up there? Will likely be fishing Epsom, Sangster and anywhere else you guys may recommend. Thanks in advance!
Yes Upwood has been great. I’m heading out for last tide tonight. I’ll let you know how it was.
Good reports also from Sangsters and Young Pt.

Hey there,

I often stay in secret cove and love fishing for ling. Can often hook into a keeper but never a beast, any tips as to where to try.

Much appreciated.

Ps. Generally using live bait.

Here is late report from the last 4 days of fishing. We did quite well last Thursday morning and evening at Epsom. The fish were not big - mostly 8-10 ish pounders. We kept one each and then put the rest back even though it was the last day of 2 limits.
The next morning we hit a couple small but legal ones but put them back thinking there were plenty around. A buddy needed to log some hours for a break in on new engines so we went for a 6 or 7 hour cruise up to Grants Reef and back. Water was really rough the whole day. Saturday we got livies and tried the back end of Sangster - the only place where it was calm enough to anchor. Skunk. Then back to Epsom for the evening tide and no luck there either. Sunday we a bumpy ride back to Vancouver. We fished for an hour or so but nothing. Great trip with some good friends...

Hey there,

I often stay in secret cove and love fishing for ling. Can often hook into a keeper but never a beast, any tips as to where to try.

Much appreciated.

Ps. Generally using live bait.

I've done a lot of Ling'n in the area and I can honestly say there's no one good place. You can catch them anywhere there's structure. Epsom, Bjerre, all around Thormanby (watch for welcome pass RCA), Texada, Lesquti, Sangster... one place is good one day, barren the next. Just have to study the charts and cover lots of ground.

Ive also had good luck for lings off pirates rock or off the light house, the red cabin just outside smugglers also is deep in there but has produced decent lings in the past for me including blue lings.

Here is late report from the last 4 days of fishing. We did quite well last Thursday morning and evening at Epsom. The fish were not big - mostly 8-10 ish pounders. We kept one each and then put the rest back even though it was the last day of 2 limits.
The next morning we hit a couple small but legal ones but put them back thinking there were plenty around. A buddy needed to log some hours for a break in on new engines so we went for a 6 or 7 hour cruise up to Grants Reef and back. Water was really rough the whole day. Saturday we got livies and tried the back end of Sangster - the only place where it was calm enough to anchor. Skunk. Then back to Epsom for the evening tide and no luck there either. Sunday we a bumpy ride back to Vancouver. We fished for an hour or so but nothing. Great trip with some good friends...
Did the boat have twin yammy 300's?

We braved the weather on Saturday for many many hours and only found one keeper. Water was nasty. Sunday morning high tide at Epsom the was way better. We got our limit of 3. Buddies son was with us. First time trolling for salmon. He got into a 15 plus white that did not want to be caught. Awesome fight. That fish made our weekend.

Yeah twin Yammy 300s. Mercer offered to paint them black!

There were a lot of fish around the Saturday eve - we were on anchor mostly in 80 ish feet but no takers. Good job on getting in to them with the plugs!
Haha that's their favorite line when someone comes in with something other than a Merc. That was a beautiful machine you were on.

Had a good weekend of fishing, Saturday got 1 at Upwood on a green spoon around 8lbs then went to Sangster, probably missed the bite, and got an 18 with bait off the reef. On Sunday went back to Sangster , lots of boats, had lots of action. Lost 2, released 2 (just legal) and kept a 20lbs and a 14lbs all on bait. Then finished off the day with a 10lbs Linq.

Just made it out yesterday morning for high slack at Epsom. NW winds made it a little difficult. Put down some plugs and found some bait balls in the usual locations with some decent arches on them and boom bonked a beautiful 21 lber on a 4” tubby 602. Gear was in the water for about 15 mins and then headed her home for breakfast!

6E97AC33-2794-48CC-A0CA-231D2136A959.jpeg 6B4593E8-AB4D-4A1D-8AEF-DE4542D4B51C.jpeg

Just made it out yesterday morning for high slack at Epsom. NW winds made it a little difficult. Put down some plugs and found some bait balls in the usual locations with some decent arches on them and boom bonked a beautiful 21 lber on a 4” tubby 602. Gear was in the water for about 15 mins and then headed her home for breakfast!

View attachment 38353 View attachment 38354

Beauty fish bud! I can see where you are :p

Tough fishing the last couple days. Fished Epsom and just outside half moon. 1 legal fish and a couple undersized. Hopefully things pick up!

Back