2018 Pender Bluffs

Right someone has to start this thread off. A few weeks ago 27 April fished the bluffs only one other boat, no bait no fish, so after about 3 hours I turned away from the bluffs at 90 deg thinking about heading to Moresby or somewhere else, had a sandwich whilst thinking about it, then at about 300 feet and a long way out I got a pull, set the hook, being solo got the balls up and the other line in just keeping gentle one handed pressure on Then I started to crank it a bit and then the fun started. stripped my reel nearly all the way, drag was tight, then it turned and came up but did not show it's head, so I got about half the line back, it took more, then I got more back, this back and forth went on for about 15 minutes. By this time I was knackered. Then it went deep stripping line like it did first time, I see the line backing on my drum, panicked and tightened the drag full on then goodbye. Stupid. I was thinking about putting the boat in gear and following it but the brain and body were not in sync and just too slow to react, tightening the drag full on something had to give. Lesson learned.

So on Thursday 10 May I went back to teach this B******a lesson, (like it still would be there, doh), no other boats this time and like before no bait no fish, fished from about 3 till 6 zip nada nowt, for the hec of it decided to try that bit on the other side of Bedwell bay from the mouth to the point where the rock conservation area starts, never fished there not even sure if its a recognized area. Lots of current which was not so good but anyway started with 2 hootchies. soon found bait and fish, not huge balls but worth a try, went through 3 but no takes. set at 110 and 90. at the end you have to turn right, it was getting shallow quickly, then just about at the end of my u turn I got a hit on the white hootch, nothing though on the sounder. Landed a 18 pounder. Did several more circuits bot nothing.

Slept over in Bedwell tried from 5.00 till noon, again nothing no bait no fish.

So don't yall go rushing out there on my account, the fish just are not there yet, never seen it so lonely out there.

Right someone has to start this thread off. A few weeks ago 27 April fished the bluffs only one other boat, no bait no fish, so after about 3 hours I turned away from the bluffs at 90 deg thinking about heading to Moresby or somewhere else, had a sandwich whilst thinking about it, then at about 300 feet and a long way out I got a pull, set the hook, being solo got the balls up and the other line in just keeping gentle one handed pressure on Then I started to crank it a bit and then the fun started. stripped my reel nearly all the way, drag was tight, then it turned and came up but did not show it's head, so I got about half the line back, it took more, then I got more back, this back and forth went on for about 15 minutes. By this time I was knackered. Then it went deep stripping line like it did first time, I see the line backing on my drum, panicked and tightened the drag full on then goodbye. Stupid. I was thinking about putting the boat in gear and following it but the brain and body were not in sync and just too slow to react, tightening the drag full on something had to give. Lesson learned.

So on Thursday 10 May I went back to teach this B******a lesson, (like it still would be there, doh), no other boats this time and like before no bait no fish, fished from about 3 till 6 zip nada nowt, for the hec of it decided to try that bit on the other side of Bedwell bay from the mouth to the point where the rock conservation area starts, never fished there not even sure if its a recognized area. Lots of current which was not so good but anyway started with 2 hootchies. soon found bait and fish, not huge balls but worth a try, went through 3 but no takes. set at 110 and 90. at the end you have to turn right, it was getting shallow quickly, then just about at the end of my u turn I got a hit on the white hootch, nothing though on the sounder. Landed a 18 pounder. Did several more circuits bot nothing.

Slept over in Bedwell tried from 5.00 till noon, again nothing no bait no fish.

So don't yall go rushing out there on my account, the fish just are not there yet, never seen it so lonely out there.

Thanks for starting the thread.

This thread unofficially closed until 1 October..............any one want to buy a boat?

Lol, I predicted 2 years ago we had 5 left. Came a lot quicker, I would say it’s over for rec fishermen. But of course all the poachers will continue fishing and not get caught. Lol

This thread unofficially closed until 1 October..............any one want to buy a boat?
On second thoughts I won't sell the boat I could dump the riggers and my gear in the ocean because nobody would want the stuff, rip out the cuddy and put in 50 seats and do whale watching tours and become part of the "Orcaratzzi" , which is the real reason why the resident Orcas are pis****d off and want to go to places where they don't have a dozen boats chasing them twice a day 300 days a year.

As far as I know every ocean in the world is full of Orcas they are not endangered are they, no, just these ones are being over exploited by whale watching tours to the extreme so much that they want a bit of peace and quiet and so move on. This is what needs to be regulated not a few folks who spend $150 on gas every trip to fish with barbless hooks who get skunked as often as they catch two fish one of which can only be in the window of 62-67cm......... give me a break.

Last year I had the privilege, for a charity, of delivering some good but used furniture to an underprivileged family, at the end of their yard, by the road, was a tote full of speared stinking rotting whole salmon, just gone to waste. This is what needs looking into and this is why the fish stocks are being depleted, not by rec fishermen.

Why on earth is it deemed acceptable to slaughter fish on their upstream migration before they have chance to spawn naturally and then spend millions of tax payers $ on artificial fish hatcheries, this beggars belief!

Rant over!

(for the moment,lol)

I wish we could say DFO is stupid but its not the case,their plan is working perfectly and soon only natives will be fishing. Fish farms will flourish, they have planned this for years. How else can you explain the hatchery closures,turning a blind eye to scientific reports about fish farms by their own scientists,allowing overfishing of herring and so on. The only reason DFO has now gone ahead with closures is because Trudope needs to put up a false front with the general public to get support for Kinder Morgan.

That and the annual area closures of Saanich Inlet and it’s approaches makes Rec Fishing officially dead for those of us who fish from the Saanich Peninsula. Might as well pull the boat and move it to one of the still open areas. Another DFO cluster! I guess neither they nor their Minister are capable of reading! Little point in any further correspondence with them! Maybe the next government will be prepared to listen.

I will write Elizabeth May and suggest everyone else affected does as well. She’s always looking for a cause and it’s her area!

I will write Elizabeth May and suggest everyone else affected does as well. She’s always looking for a cause and it’s her area!

Elizabeth May? I think you are smoking some of what they are growing on Saltspring if you think Elizabeth will have any interest in advocating for Sport Fishing!

Lol, I predicted 2 years ago we had 5 left. Came a lot quicker, I would say it’s over for rec fishermen. But of course all the poachers will continue fishing and not get caught. Lol

Yes i made the same prediction around the same time. One more cycle they way we are going and it will be done.

Elizabeth May? I think you are smoking some of what they are growing on Saltspring if you think Elizabeth will have any interest in advocating for Sport Fishing!
Of course she really doesn’t! Like any politician though she craves media attention, the more the better. As an opposition politician she needs an issue to take the government to task on and critique.As a politician her main goal is re-election which means at least paying lip service to her constituents.

Of course she really doesn’t! Like any politician though she craves media attention, the more the better. As an opposition politician she needs an issue to take the government to task on and critique.As a politician her main goal is re-election which means at least paying lip service to her constituents.

I guess we will see, they put a SRKW zone right in the middle of her riding, I would think she should have some comment on it!

I guess we will see, they put a SRKW zone right in the middle of her riding, I would think she should have some comment on it!

She won't say a peep, all the ENGO's that support her also support a ban on all sports fishing for Chinook.

I’m sure she would.Political animals are always aware of which way the wind is blowing. It may do no good but it is the closest to realistic option we have. Bitching on the internet, on a fishing site,is preaching to the choir. This closure is a total Fin fish closure so it goes beyond any SKRW issue. The ways these closures are enacted is far more political than scientific, the fish aren’t teleported here, they migrate.

She won't say a peep, all the ENGO's that support her also support a ban on all sports fishing for Chinook.
Well I guess the other option is to wait until the Killer Whale population reaches what, a hundred? Is that going to be enough? She may do nothing, but neither is anyone else for this area. Got to start somewhere!

Had a ceremonious last fish at the bluffs with @videodoctor, watched the sun go down, caught a nice hatchery fish on an Andrew P herring spoon. We even got sealed (I love/hate the bluffs). A good way to end it.

This message sponsored by Snuffy, who's going to have to catch his own fish now:

seal-pender_final.jpg

Had a ceremonious last fish at the bluffs with @videodoctor, watched the sun go down, caught a nice hatchery fish on an Andrew P herring spoon. We even got sealed (I love/hate the bluffs). A good way to end it.

This message sponsored by Snuffy, who's going to have to catch his own fish now:

View attachment 38131
Good one Salted.LMFAO.They were a royal pain there at times weren't they.One had the big spring in my avatar by the tail until my partner hit him over the head with the landing net and he finally let go.Little prick!!

The fact I won't be able to take my kids to any dock and even reel up a bull head is ludicrous. Our family was seriously considering buying a summer cabin at pender but I guess that's out. All fin fish closed is so unnecessary. Maybe I'll take the kids to mini golf or something.

Back