Sky rocketing fuel prices

Buy US. It’s obvious.

We already do and that why our gas prices are so high, The US refinery on west coast can't meet demand. Not to mention most pay for WTI Crude and also have the option to send it to Asia.

If your referring to why US has cheaper gas than us at the pumps its because they don't pay 52 cents a L in tax like we do. If our provincial government wants to forgo the tax our prices could drop like 30 Cents a L tomorrow. Transit tax, Carbon Tax, ect...

No I’m referring to notleys attitude. Nothing more. I’d rather pay more from states just to teach the Alberta government a lesson​

Buy refined product from theUS. It’s obvious. No supply problems and no dealing with a wing nut. Only Id stay buying from the US from now on. Hit em where it hurts like they’re threatening to do to us.

Im glad you edited your original post.. That was,,,,,,,,, a bit heavy

No I’m referring to notleys attitude. Nothing more. I’d rather pay more from states just to teach the Alberta government a lesson​

Watch what the BC politics do if our economy tanks in the next 5 years. BC economy right now is solely build in importing foreign people to increase development/housing prices/construction. Take away that formula and Horgan will be scrambling to rape BC environment to create jobs.

During B.C economic downturn post 2008 many BC residents found jobs in Alberta. Don't get lost in the politics at pay between Alberta and B.C.

Hey Big Reel: Have you ever tried to clean up a heavy oil spill? Seems like you are missing an important piece of experience to really take part in the conversation. That is the risk that solidifies the opposition. And by the way, investing big money in a dying technology is not the way to move forward in this world. The alternative technologies are all there and with some additional investment there and some political will all these jobs lost in a much reduced oil sector could be shifted to the new technologies. I agree, the thirst for energy will remain but the fossile fuel burning sectors will disappear. Hopefully sooner than later. My voltaic system on my roof knocked 40% off my hydro bill. My wife's plug in hybrid barely ever needs gas. Someone bring on an electric boat outboard with 150hp and I am onboard with that too.

If i was Alberta and an approved pipeline expansion was approved by the federal government and provincial government at the time id be pissed off and probably doing everything in my power to get it going and i think most of us would do the same thing. Crude needs to be moved be it with trains or pipelines. Its currently piped to the states and kinder morgan in bc among other places. I would take a pipeline vs train any day as there is way more risk in train delivery of crude than pipe line, besides the fact the train line runs along major river systems most of the way. Tax payers aren't investing any money in this pipeline or at least we weren't going to until the NDP did there thing so will see what the prime minister does.

Electric cars and such are only able to take away so much dependency on gas they are no where close to being a solution to our thirst for gas. How far would you get on a 150 electric outboard on a typical boat? an hour or 2 maybe depending on the batteries and how much do those batteries weigh? No one is saying toss all the thinking of alternate fuels but at this point and probably for the foreseeable future it wont be an alternative to gas for a lot of things.

Seems to me the simple solution would be for KM, Alberta and the Feds to post a cleanup bond. If it’s safe as claimed, no worries it will never be needed. If not, then BC isn’t forced to carry the expense of cleanup or beg for money, the cleanup bond can be accessed.

I have little faith in the Feds, Alberta or KM if a spill happens. KM Canada will declare bankruptcy, Alberta will say it’s a Federal problem and the Feds will do as little as possible. Look at the vaunted Ocean Protection plan! 1.5 billion sounds good, but when it’s realized that 1.5 billion is for the Atlantic,Pacific and Arctic oceans and it’s over 5 years (assuming the Liberals are still in power) it seems pretty lame.

While I’m happy the Ocean Protection fund is going to fund the opening of a SAR base in Newfoundland, I see little concrete, long term funding being done here. Welding towing bits on Coast Guard vessels out here, leasing a couple of tugs is a short term minimal solution if it actually happens, but will it? I’d like to see some dedicated crews and tugs stationed on the coast long term and some dedicated cleanup vessels.

I accept we need the pipeline and have to take some risk. I also believe we need to mitigate that risk a heck of a lot better than Trudeau’s current plan(?)does.

A little off topic and not that this BNN guest is correct but it's just a quote for the folks that think that oil is a quickly dying resource. IMO, (and not that my opinion is worth anything) but anyone reading this post will not outlive the need for oil. At this point in time, many of the alternatives just don't compete on a cost basis with oil and we know it's all about the money or else we would all have solar on our roof tops and electric cars in our driveways. (not that someday we won't get there but for you and me,,,,don't hold your breath) "Barring a global depression, the oil market will remain under-supplied given the lack of large new projects coming online from OPEC (40 per cent of global production) and non-U.S/OPEC producers (50 per cent of global production) over the next four years and beyond. This eventuality means that oil will have to rise high enough to rationalize demand as supply will not be able to grow enough to balance the market."

And you know why that is that this tech change drags out so slowly? Because the oil mafia is fighting it to their death trying to cling on to their market for as long as possible! The same as the tabacco industry. They discredit, obstruct and if really pushed buy out competing ideas so they can sell their dirty product for another few years longer. The alternative technologies are here already but can't reach the final mass market stage because the oil mafia will not make room. If we were to sink the billions for pipeslines instead in advancement of battery technology you could replace your outboard in no time with an electric one and go as before. But the oil mafia will spin and tell everyone that it is impossible and uneconomical - yeah, but only because they are in the way. They owned the world for almost 100 years and won't go voluntary. They have to be forced out by a public that smartens up (good luck with that as seen here!) or by a government that has some balls (also unlikely). So I guess we'll have to get a catastrophic event first and then the masses may start to get it. BTW, you can't clean up a bitumen spill in the ocean, no matter how many billions in retainer you set aside.

All is well my friends we have Dim and Half Wit running the province, sunny days my friends, sunny days

OPEC wants Brent crude (world oil bench price) at $80, it currently around $75 and will control production to make it so. US wants to cut Iran production by 1 million barrels a day and the effect would be an increase between 5-10 on that price. Expect to see news on that around May 12. WTI (West Texas Intermediate) is around $70 so expect that to $75 depending on how the market reacts to the latest from the twitter account of the stable genius. WCS (Western Canada Select) is currently around $50 and I would expect it to also gain $5.
With all that I would guess that when the gas prices return to normal (tight supply at the moment) we will see gas at $1.35 plus or minus 3 cents by June.

Canada will never see WTI price on Dilbit or WCS as there is a difference on quality and what you can make with it compared to WTI. Best estimate that I have read is that difference is around $12. If you think about it ...... Why would I buy Lucky Lager when I can buy Dos Equis Amber Lager? ....... stay thirsty my friends.

OPEC wants Brent crude (world oil bench price) at $80, it currently around $75 and will control production to make it so. US wants to cut Iran production by 1 million barrels a day and the effect would be an increase between 5-10 on that price. Expect to see news on that around May 12. WTI (West Texas Intermediate) is around $70 so expect that to $75 depending on how the market reacts to the latest from the twitter account of the stable genius. WCS (Western Canada Select) is currently around $50 and I would expect it to also gain $5.
With all that I would guess that when the gas prices return to normal (tight supply at the moment) we will see gas at $1.35 plus or minus 3 cents by June.

Canada will never see WTI price on Dilbit or WCS as there is a difference on quality and what you can make with it compared to WTI. Best estimate that I have read is that difference is around $12. If you think about it ...... Why would I buy Lucky Lager when I can buy Dos Equis Amber Lager? ....... stay thirsty my friends.
Think of the fossil fuels burned to bring your Mexican import beer here!The local jobs farmed out to underpaid Mexican labourers that could be done locally. Buy local and save the planet lol!

I have been reading all of this with tongue in cheek, Bite the bullet folks we will all be feeling the pain.

Bwahah
Your letting spite guide your decisions.

No successful person ever has done that.

Bwahahaha. I’m planning on retiring at 55. Don’t know what your trying to say but by my “successful” yardstick that’s pretty good. No?

Syncrude gets about $1.60 above WTI and it is heavy crude upgraded to synthetic sweet blend as they call it and have no problem getting it to market. There is more value to Alberta crude than those "horse traders" down south are implying. The by-products like propanes, propylenes and heavy metals that they do not want us to benefit from..

I will call that article "topped up" with a few sprinkles of ********. First real stupid comment is no refineries have been built in Alberta since 1970's what about the Scotford refinery built by Shell Canada to handle the bitumen from their Albian Sands which they just sold, (but not the refinery)? Nobody down south or east wants us to refine the product because it would put too much control in our hands. I could go on about Syncrude's product which is called "Sweet Blend" which gets around $1.60 per bbl over West Texas Bench crude, and there is no issue selling the product. I was not born yesterday.

Back