2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

May 2
12 pound white. Trap Shack Needle G, 2.8kts, 165/365ft, out front of French Creek.
8 pound red. Outfitter Needle G, 2.8kts (on a turn), 155ft/255ft, North Hump.
12lb Ling. 500g Sølvkroken Jig. 265ft. North Hump.

https://imgur.com/a/L4Wgj0W

Seaweed was bad, algae was okay.

Went out last night for the first time this year...finally.

Fished off the top end of Douglas and landed 2 nice springs ~ 12 and 18 lbs. Both at 145' in 300'. One one a Skinny G and the other on a cop car (3').

Algae was terrible -wrapped on line so tightly that it could not be removed in pieces - had to cut line and slide it off in pieces and retie.

Out tonight for a quick evening fish after seeing the wind suddenly drop at 5:30. Fishing alone. Got on the water around 6, immediately discovered my radio antenna loosened off and fell over. Checked the radio's and they aren't working - no power. WTF! Farting around fixing it, then finally got fishing. Nothing....then at 6:30, it fired up big time. Landed the first in short order - 121 feet on 3 inch Rapala Needle Fish spoon. Gear down, bang one on the 3.5 inch Rapala lime green/silver spoon....within a few seconds my rod exploded at the handle...now I'm playing the fish with the reel. While that is going...bang, other rod goes off. Left that one to deal with the cluster. Finally landed the first fish, and figured given the broken rod I would take this one and call it a night. Then turned to the fish on the other line. Figures...its a screamer once I put some pressure on it. After an epic battle, landed and released a nice hatchery fish about 13 to 15 pounds. Wish I knew that before bonking the other one. Oh well, packed up and headed in at 7:10. Done. Back to Schooner to find a fuse issue on the power supply to the radio - simple fix. What a night...epic fishing, and endless clusters to make it interesting.

Out tonight for a quick evening fish after seeing the wind suddenly drop at 5:30. Fishing alone. Got on the water around 6, immediately discovered my radio antenna loosened off and fell over. Checked the radio's and they aren't working - no power. WTF! Farting around fixing it, then finally got fishing. Nothing....then at 6:30, it fired up big time. Landed the first in short order - 121 feet on 3 inch Rapala Needle Fish spoon. Gear down, bang one on the 3.5 inch Rapala lime green/silver spoon....within a few seconds my rod exploded at the handle...now I'm playing the fish with the reel. While that is going...bang, other rod goes off. Left that one to deal with the cluster. Finally landed the first fish, and figured given the broken rod I would take this one and call it a night. Then turned to the fish on the other line. Figures...its a screamer once I put some pressure on it. After an epic battle, landed and released a nice hatchery fish about 13 to 15 pounds. Wish I knew that before bonking the other one. Oh well, packed up and headed in at 7:10. Done. Back to Schooner to find a fuse issue on the power supply to the radio - simple fix. What a night...epic fishing, and endless clusters to make it interesting.
good job !!! sounds a lot like the problems i had all weekend ha I'm too embarrassed too post mine

Been pretty decent fishing over past few days. Seeing a few coho as well, which is encouraging to see. Should be some good coho opportunity in June. Also starting to see some larger fish show up. Our biggest today was 22 pounds. Best for us today was 4 inch coyote spoon in sardine...but boy was it ever rough out there with heavy winds and seas.

Been pretty decent fishing over past few days. Seeing a few coho as well, which is encouraging to see. Should be some good coho opportunity in June. Also starting to see some larger fish show up. Our biggest today was 22 pounds. Best for us today was 4 inch coyote spoon in sardine...but boy was it ever rough out there with heavy winds and seas.
well done you kicking butt lately !! whats your go too flasher ?

Got blown off this morning.

Went back tonight to get the crab pot. Three undersized, all on a Trap Shack Needle G, 155', North Hump, 3kts.

Hey searun I was fishing the north hump Friday as well and got my butt kicked by the seas. Still managed two nice fish both 14-16lbs. Fishing has really picked up, hootchies have started to out fish spoons for myself this week.

Heard some decent reports from French Creek. Tempted to run up for a look, but the wind kept me close to home. I have been fishing out front of Schooner as its nice and close in this bad weather. I didn't want to get pounded running up to FC.:eek:

We've been doing well on 4 inch coyote spoons. Best has been either the lime green/silver or the Sardine. I was also hitting them quite well on a needle fish hoochie, but managed to lose the only one I had in a particular hot colour. Off to PNT candy store to shop for the killer.

Found the fish were a little deeper - 173 feet was our best for the past 2 days. The prior 2 days it was 157. Been kicked a few times by some bigger fish too. Largest was 22 pounds, so you never know who will be there when you set the rod. Lots of good runners lost in past few days - felt like heavy fish but the hooks kept falling out on the run. Must be luck of the draw in terms of where the hook placement was....although I always like to give the guys at PNT a hard time about the cheap stainless hooks they sold me.;)

This has been one of the very best season starts that I recall in a great many years....but alas, there are some Chinook restrictions coming - possibly as early as May 25 to protect the Harrison River whites which are in real trouble. Hearing it will be 2 fish in Area 17 from May 25 to the end of June, of which only one can be wild under 85cm. If you get a hatchery fish over 85cm you can keep it. The purpose is to protect wild (unmarked) Chinook over 85cm, which would be the 4 year old spawning brood stock. Its not yet confirmed, but is under consideration for Chinook management measures which are coming soon.

10% clipped ratio for Vedder hatchery whites.
85% interception of wild Harrisson whites by FN nets in the chum fishery...
Great move by DFO in terms of conservation!!!

10% clipped ratio for Vedder hatchery whites.
85% interception of wild Harrisson whites by FN nets in the chum fishery...
Great move by DFO in terms of conservation!!!
I haven't seen any data showing 85% FN interception - if you have a moment, could you PM me some data. Thanks.

Racism against First Nations fisheries aside...

Was out this morning for fist light. Lots of Salad. Was fighting it all morning. Hooked one on the ol' Trap Shack Needle G, 115/265, just to the east of the north hump. Nothing else until we came in around 930. Didn't see many nets out.

Hi guys, thinking about heading out this morning been wondering if anyone has been over to sangster for a try and will if it's worth the run or should just stay out front... Thanks in advance ..

Hi guys, thinking about heading out this morning been wondering if anyone has been over to sangster for a try and will if it's worth the run or should just stay out front... Thanks in advance ..
i was fishing french creek yesterday and a buddy ran over too sangster he's said nothing there - i got three nice ones at french creek

Back