2018 Haida Gwaii Reports

Anybody got any trips booked up there this year yet? I'm going for my first time June 29th at langara island lodge. Hoping it's going to be amazing!

I am at Hippa Island June 14th. Hope its as good as it was last year.

Does the Langara Lodge supply descending devises to the guest who are self guided? Also do the guides use them?

I was happy to see WCR using them last year in every boat.

Will be at peregrine working last two weeks of July , then at qcl about a month later as a guest, looking forward to it!

Does the Langara Lodge supply descending devises to the guest who are self guided? Also do the guides use them?

Not sure about that as it's my first time going

yes langara lodge does supply descending devices with there boats..they have a fishing rod rigged just for that..... At this point I believe most of the major lodges do have them.. if you guys over the summer find lodge that are not let me know... cheers

I go up to Lanagara (North Island Lodge) every year and go self-guided ... it's a blast ... great spot. Send me a note if you need any other info.

Looking forward to it. I spoke to a guy last week who guides up at QCl. He says the Chinook are there just not the crazy volumes that can come early season yet. He said they are like last year at this time. Deep and on bottom. They are feeding heavy on Needle fish (sandlance).

Hopefully the fish show up & also the bait. (Fingers crossed)

A friend of mine is fishing out of Masset with Naden Lodge this week. He leaves tomorrow. I will give an update once he passes it along

My goal is to get a monster lingcod this year. I will be trying live bait, but also made up some big swimbaits. This one is 18” long

Attachments

• 059D7003-4A36-4612-AD07-5585932A1AE2.jpeg
    059D7003-4A36-4612-AD07-5585932A1AE2.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 90
I have him packed already! I have that one and the hot rod version packed

Last edited:
I have heard early reports from some of the guides/lodges up north and fishing has been slow... despite what the lodges say on social media :). Hoping it picks up shortly. Last June was great for the west side of Haida Gwaii. I'll be heading up in July and can't wait!

I have heard early reports from some of the guides/lodges up north and fishing has been slow... despite what the lodges say on social media :). Hoping it picks up shortly. Last June was great for the west side of Haida Gwaii. I'll be heading up in July and can't wait!

Man are you right with what lodges report vs what is actual. Last year I went North & west side of Haida Gwaii with in the same 10 day window. you are 100% correct about the west side being on fire. My time on the north was long & hard working to catch any fish. All on bottom & none were migrating salmon from what I could tell (size)

Which lodge you heading to in June?

Ya, they are catching them deep right now on the west side of Haida Gwaii but still not a lot of numbers. The good thing about that entire area is that things can turn on pretty quickly and fishing could get awesome anytime. I've fished out of Englefield and Hippa on the west side and have had some unbelievable days at both locations.... as well as some very cold stretches. I got pretty spoiled up there for many years so now when a trip has some slow days it's harder to stomach but it's just the reality of fishing these days.

Man are you right with what lodges report vs what is actual. Last year I went North & west side of Haida Gwaii with in the same 10 day window. you are 100% correct about the west side being on fire. My time on the north was long & hard working to catch any fish. All on bottom & none were migrating salmon from what I could tell (size)

Which lodge you heading to in June?

It's dead inshore on the west side. Not good at all. Might be even harder to tub out this year despite the limits being halved. Our government should be ashamed with the way they've "managed" the resource.

It's dead inshore on the west side. Not good at all. Might be even harder to tub out this year despite the limits being halved. Our government should be ashamed with the way they've "managed" the resource.

Ha e you seen much for bait?

How are the lodge guides going to convince a customer to release a big Chinook
now when the catch limit is 1 - per day ?
These reg's were not well planned.

Back