Electric Outboard motors up to 300 HP. The wave of the future

I read another article stating that, that is a Yamaha 150 up to the Powerhead, which is the electrical portion of the motor. The rest of it is all Yamaha. The motor actually weighs less than the gasoline version, but overall the boat weight went up a couple hundred pounds, which was battery weight. I'll see if I can find the article.

Personally I am holding out for an outboard that has a Powered by Mr Fusion decal on it -- Back To The Future style. Just reach back and drop in a Banana Peel, - oh wait, that would be bad luck on any boat not made by Delorean.

i m thinking ...in this instance...a hybrid
would be the only way until battery
development improves to the point where
a 9 minute charge with double the range
become the norm..and we re not far off
from these specs

i m thinking ...in this instance...a hybrid
would be the only way until battery
development improves to the point where
a 9 minute charge with double the range
become the norm..and we re not far off
from these specs

I think we are closer to seeing larger propane powered outboards well before the Hybrid/electric world of outboards come out.

fossil fuel is fossil fuel no matter what
form its consumed. if we are and we
are... to move forward into the future
faster and faster every day we must
embrace change. this is to be the
shape of what will be. how exactly
is the exciting part not unlike the
early years of the interweb or the
still growing not so smart phone.
that model is still being defined as
much as the the craft that is being
drivin.....
turbines . solar technology .battery
cells and electrical components are
growing by leeps and bounds at
lightning speeds...sky's the limit.?

you bet and it will never be the same.

I don't know that an electric main motor is on the horizon but I'd sure be interested in a powerful electric kicker (10-20HP) that would run on a moderate size batter pack.
All the "trolling" motors I've used seem fine in a lake environment when it's calm but are too weak to fight in any kind of sea or even windy/wavy condition on say Cowichan.

I don't know that an electric main motor is on the horizon but I'd sure be interested in a powerful electric kicker (10-20HP) that would run on a moderate size batter pack.
All the "trolling" motors I've used seem fine in a lake environment when it's calm but are too weak to fight in any kind of sea or even windy/wavy condition on say Cowichan.

Have a look at this product.
https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/electric-outboard-motors-2.shtml

hmmm...ever see a tesla p100d at the
track..? and dont forget the pulling
power of a CN locomotive. .....
ya they re a "hybrid" too just a matter
of rearranging the delivery

It is just a matter of time before we start to see the larger Electric Outboards become available. With having to pay upwards of $2.00 a liter or $9.00 a gallon or $90.00 and more an hour to run your gas Outboards this summer, the Electric Outboards are going to revolutionize the boating industry. Just imagine spending pennies an hour rather than mega $ an hour? How much did we all spend on gas last summer?

Last edited:
Well - buggywhip salesmen were pretty sure the motor car would be a fad as well....

Lol. Yah, they’re the same thing.

I’ll add, I make make that call knowing the limitations of how we currently store power.

Drastically change that, and I’ll change my mind. But for now, this type of hogwash is basically just that.

When the wind of change blows, some people will build shelters, others windmills.

I don't but I do think the tech / storage will be there. It's early days boys but look how far the tech has come with battery operated cars...

This guy in Texas converted an I/O setup into electric using Tesla batteries and a 147HP motor. He states the range is 25 miles with 32KWh of battery storage on this 17' boat. If you were to add more battery capacity you would get more range but of course more weight. Pretty interesting.

https://electrek.co/2016/08/11/enthusiast-builds-all-electric-speed-boat-tesla-battery-modules/

More video:

This will become more practical over time when battery densities increase.

Last edited:
I have one question. How many salmon rivers have to be dammed or diverted to produce the "green energy" to supply the recreation use of this ?

what does dams have to do with this..?
besides nothing. everyone needs clean power whether its to work or live. i read
some where by the year 2020 china is
set to have half of the vehicles on thier
streets to be an EV....ONE HALF.
Now thats a statement.!

Back