Flashing hoochie for salmon?

Ruff

I've seen slot of guys using these flashing squid for hali and I'm wondering if anyone uses the lights for salmon fishing. Lighthouse does a flashing hoochie setup but has anyone on here tried it? Any success? I build all my own salmon/hali rigs and was wondering if it's worth adding a light to a salmon hoochie setup. Let me know what you think.....

Im interested into hearing what folks have to say about this? I have had great luck with the LED flashing Squid up north, & have wondered how the salmon hoochies would preform.

Last summer I ran a flashing LED 6' in front of my plugs and had great success. They were too big to insert inside a hoochie though. I'm not sure what the best way to rig a hoochie with LED for salmon...

Ive got my hands on some small bullet type LED's which I can fit into a small salmon size hoochie. Just not sure if it'll catch Fish or scare them off! :eek:

Too many cheap effective Glow options (paint, beads, tape) around to monkey with some electrical gizmo.

The year I guide at Sunds one of the young guides used a small led in his hoochies . he seems to do OK. He asked if I wanted to try one but my standard response is "I like to feed them what they eat"

The year I guide at Sunds one of the young guides used a small led in his hoochies . he seems to do OK. He asked if I wanted to try one but my standard response is "I like to feed them what they eat"
So true-however we can't have bait all the time everywhere so a flashing LED in a cuttlefish hoochy looks pretty good if you have seen real life squid flashing on nature vids

Ive got my hands on some small bullet type LED's which I can fit into a small salmon size hoochie. Just not sure if it'll catch Fish or scare them off! :eek:

I would think that the deeper you fish, the more the led’s would help. Typically we fish shallower up North than down on the East Coast of the island. There are times that the fish are deeper and I think that the lights would probably help. Wonder at what depth the led’s become a real help?

Oly

I would think that the deeper you fish, the more the led’s would help. Typically we fish shallower up North than down on the East Coast of the island. There are times that the fish are deeper and I think that the lights would probably help. Wonder at what depth the led’s become a real help?

Oly
They don't help appreciably in shallow water(under 100 in daytime)-really come into their own at dawn and dusk and 200 plus on the "highway"

Why try and re invent the wheel while you could stick to what has worked for decades and continues to work , just seems a bit gimmicky to me!

Check into the back issues-I have done many tests for Pirates Den and then Lighthouse lures. I love the LED -you need to put them into cuttlefish size hootchys-under the right conditions they are great
I had good luck thanks to Spring Fever's tips! Worth a try for sure.

Why try and re invent the wheel while you could stick to what has worked for decades and continues to work , just seems a bit gimmicky to me!

I hear yha, but sometimes its fun. Also some times it gives you that slight edge over your fishing buddy that day & saves on buying beer.

I had GREAT success with them one time in Winter Harbour. We got a spring on nearly every pass when nothing else was working. When we opened the Salmon at the cleaning table we noticed they were jammed with squid. I'm guessing during times when squid are abundant they will work great and when the squid aren't there they do not.

I've had more days they did not work than days they did work but I usually keep them in the box for when nothing else is working.

Back