Best bigger Aluminum Vessel??

WestCoastRyan

I'm currently looking for a larger Aluminum boat. Leaning towards a KingFisher 3025. Let's hear your thoughts on makes and models? As these things aren't cheap, I'm interested in first hand knowledge as to the best boats out there! Thanks

I'd have a good look at Northriver too. Probably not as nice as shiney as the Kingfisher but more of a solid fishing platform. Depends what you're looking for. Duckworth\weldcraft as well. Many options out there... Any that have been around for a while are probably good choices.

I'd have a good look at Northriver too. Probably not as nice as shiney as the Kingfisher but more of a solid fishing platform. Depends what you're looking for. Duckworth\weldcraft as well. Many options out there... Any that have been around for a while are probably good choices.

DW, Weldcraft, NW and KF all made by the same company.

Your saying all those brands are made by the same company? Northwest aluminum are custom made boats

There is a company call north west jet made with ducks worth and Weldcraft. Not to be mistaken with the other northwest custom
Boat builder

There is a company call north west jet made with ducks worth and Weldcraft. Not to be mistaken with the other northwest custom
Boat builder

Yea that’s correct. My bad on the confusion with the two NW’s

I would stick with the semi custom/custom heavy plate boat builders for the “best” alloy boat. North River, Seawolf, Armstong, Crozier craft, Armstrong consolidated, Munson, and Coldwater make the list of US orgin boats. Nw aluminum, Eaglecraft, Silverstreak, Lifetimer and Coastal craft all make the list for Canadian orgin boats. There are a couple that I have not seen in person that might make the list, Ironwood and Cope come to mind but for the most part, if it is not on the list there is a reason.

DW, Weldcraft, NW and KF all made by the same company.

No that is not true. Weldcraft, Ducksworth and Northwest boats are all made by Renaissance Marine Group in the USA: http://www.renaissance-marine-group.com/ The Weldcraft rep in BC is Rod's Power and Marine in Port Alberni and Tofino.

There is a boat builder on Vancouver Island called Northwest Aluminum Craft. That is not the same company as the USA Northwest I linked above.

Kingfisher has nothing to do with any of the boats mentioned above. Kinfisher has a much shallower bath tub shaped hull compared to the above mentioned boats, and lower gunwales, and some of them have lower weight rated transoms. I have owned one and wouldn't recommend one to anyone for off shore west coast fishing. They are even putting bow thrusters on smaller models now because their shallow bathtub hulls blow around so badly. If you really want to look at details then go to the manufacturers and see how the hull ribs, transoms, etc are welded together and what thicknesses/material types they are using.

We can all tell you our opinions on what we like but if you are going to pay serious money on a big boat that you will spend a lot of time on in heavy weather and water then make sure you do your due diligence in investigating every part of how the boat is put together.

Last edited:
The lighter gauge build coupled with the grinding of welds and copious use of bondo to fair in for paint automatically takes the Kingfisher off my list for a serious salt water boat. Also the use of Ss railings and rigging bolted through the painted aluminum is a constant source of corrosion. Serious builders fab all they can out of aluminum and weld it on as it should be.

Back