Barkley Sound

centennial camp ground bamfield, bamfield mercantile on the west side for all yer goods..

Aweome info in this thread. I was also possibly looking to switch things up from my regular nootka trip.

My dates will be the end of July till the first week of august.

My regular crew of guys will only be interested fishing, so location preferred would be closest camping ground/dock to the fishing grounds.

I'm running a 18ft searunner 115hp. So I wouldn't want to venture out too far if seas are rough. However, hoping to also get some bottom fishing done if condition aren't terrible.

Any information would be great thanks!
Island West Resort is a good camping/ fishing option in Uki. Tie your boat at govt dock and can walk to camp ground in 5 minutes. Can fish all the Uki spots or run into outer Barkley and have the conveniences of Uki.

Bamfield sucks... Way better in Ukie and Tofino
Yup, don't come Bami is terrible. Fish all over the place, they sell beer at the General Store one can at a time so the locals can hang out and swap lies on the boardwalk. Terrible place, you would hate it. Fishing is too close. The list goes on. Ha Ha

Serious note, that time of year is the start of the Somas fish coming in to Barkley Sound. Generally good fishing. Bring bait, it too doesn't work. The fish are typically along structure and shallow, just like Nootka where you have been fishing. Lots of cool places, caves etc. Again, a terrible place, you won't have fun.

Searun
Nice to see you back on this site. AND, Barclay Sound is by far my most favourite place in the world to explore and fish.
I’ve been lucky to have had the opportunity to start going up to that part of the world in the early 80’s. Many things have changed, but many things have stayed the same.
Stosh

Thanks, met some great people over the years on this site. Did get a little tired of some of the personal attacks, but have to say the Admin has cracked down on that. Good on them.

Can hardly wait to get back on the water for another season. Barkley is a very special place, even though I have been fishing it for years you never know it all...learning every single season...it would take a few life times to explore every inch of it. One of these years, I'm going to take some time off in the season and explore some of the many caves. Fascinating places, and several unexplored beaches. Endless fun.

I went to work in Port Alberni in July 1994 and will never forget my first trip down the canal. I have been in love with the place every since. Got lucky and married a lady from Port, so we have been back every year since. I retire and June and will be spending the entire month of August fishing the sound. I go low rent with the Costco Hiltons at the Harbourside and the cabins at the Seabeam.

Nice place to retire to! See you down there. Pretty magical place. I split my time between Barkley Sound Lodge, McKay Bay Lodge or my floating cabin.

I used to go to the Canadian King lodge in the Eighties and have such fond memories of our BYOB group of about twenty friends and the wonderful family that owned the lodge! great food great Fishing great memories
Tom

I personally prefer Ucluelet and stay at Island West Resort. Have a crude camp ground but, have a launch ramp, place to moor, freezer, showers etc. Passing Lighthouse bank does get lumpy but, manageable and your starting in the middle of places to go. South Bank is a good place most times, if the fish are out, you can run to i.e. SouthWest corner or Starfish. If the big fish are in and not down toward Barkley Sound, you can always run up to Portland Point outside. I've caught some of our largest fish there. The ride can get a little rough coming back though if the wind is up which it usually does in late July. Missed last year because of medical issues.

Back