Barkley Sound

BigBadBrad

Hello gents. Looks like we are going to change plans from shearwater and do a 5 day trip to Barkley sound. The dates are going to be August 4th-10th. Typically what can one expect this time of year? Reading reports this year during that time it sounds like fishing was tough inshore...

Is fishing usually decent within the sound during the first couple weeks of August? Still a bit early?

Any info is much appreciated!! We are going to be in a 17.5ft double eagle so can only get out offshore if the weather is flat calm.

you guys rock! Thanks

BBB

Should be lots of chinook and coh0, inshore and offshore, and there will be halibut lingcod and rockfish around, fishing should be good but things change year to year and day to day so its hard to say 100% if it will be good or not. But I would say it would be a decent time to go

great time to be there for sure.

Anyone have any recommendations where to stay? There will be 3-4 of us. Preferably somewhere with a small Kitchenette

Barkley Sound Lodge has a good "bring your own boat" deal. Clean rooms, good meals, including a packed lunch and only 10 minutes from the Toquart launch.

Barkley Sound Lodge has a good "bring your own boat" deal. Clean rooms, good meals, including a packed lunch and only 10 minutes from the Toquart launch.

i work there... very good food, lodging, fuel, fish packing/freezing.. great place. awesome value for what you pay per night.. last year was only 150.00, it may go up but so still worth it.

bamfield... mckay bay and pacific gateway are also all inclusive..

Mills Landing in Bamfield, the cabins have kitchens and the grocery store is just a short walk down the boardwalk. Great fish processing facilities, packing and freezing and awesome ice.

Another question. What would you guys recommend Bamfield or Ukee as far as better fishing and access to better spots for that time of year? Have to remember I'm in a 17.5ft double eagle with a 115hp also.

Thanks again gents

bamfield... tide change and swells can make ukee harbour entrance a lil nautical.... and bam is way cooler. and yes better fishn spots.

x 2. Definitely go Bamfield. Much friendlier for your size boat with lots of fishing spots right out of the harbour. I've had some white knuckle experiences right out of Ukee harbour.

I would say either or, we normally go to ukee, more stuff to do after fishing and tofino is right there if you want to do a little day trip aswell and take a break from fishing. Lots of spots close to ukee like amphitrite, just as close to big bank, and then tons of protected fishing options like cree, austin, meers, kirby isn't to far, swale, all the bamfield spots are accessible from ukee plus you can fish the Tofino spots which are super close as well.

I would say either or, we normally go to ukee, more stuff to do after fishing and tofino is right there if you want to do a little day trip aswell and take a break from fishing. Lots of spots close to ukee like amphitrite, just as close to big bank, and then tons of protected fishing options like cree, austin, meers, kirby isn't to far, swale, all the bamfield spots are accessible from ukee plus you can fish the Tofino spots which are super close as well.

For a 17.5ft boat, stick to Bamfield
Running back to Ukee from some of the Barkley known spots (listed) is not fun in late afternoon on a moderate-strong NW wind

Salmon fishing right now isn't great patchy as heck, halibut is closed. Bottom fishing is always good and provides action. Wya has been the only area I know of that is producing and that's a quick bite and if you miss it your done. Once you fish when the run is on during the summer months the days in October are long IMO. Most the big river systems the fish have headed up there are a few creeks that are a tad low and you can see the salmon finning but there not that interested in feeding plus they are getting pretty brown. The coho fishery in Tofino sounds good from what I have heard, but as far as I've seen and heard here in Ukee the coho fishing is not how it usually is right now unfortunately :( There are Bam lovers and Ukee lovers you probably just need to try both to see which one is best for you, if your traveling with your fam Ukee generally gets the nod from the boss :p Plus it's paved all the way no gravel roads. The NW wind isn't an issue you just come down low along the sound across to Toquart then run up to ukee along the coastline which protects you from the NW wind, scoot between Beg Island and shore and it's a quick hop into the harbour. Good luck out there.

For a 17.5ft boat, stick to Bamfield
Running back to Ukee from some of the Barkley known spots (listed) is not fun in late afternoon on a moderate-strong NW wind

I agree with Tubby. You can fish all around the Bamfield area and do just fine that time of year if the fish are in. Lots of bottom fishing opportunities as well. The Wall, Cape Beale and Whittlestone should all be good.

Take a break from fishing?!?!?!

:)

Not unusual to see flat water offshore in August, usually with fog. The fog will usually not penetrate far into Barkley Sound.
On average, your dates are a bit early for the peak of the inside fishery for Robertson Creek fish; the Port Alberni derby is held Labour Day for good reason. You would need a large run of RC fish to have good inside fishing that time of year.
I started fishing the area in my 14ft Livingston back in 1986. Did Cape Beale from Bamfield, Long Beach from Ucluelet & Portland Point from Tofino with only a compass & VHF, Stayed close to port in the fog.

Have you considered Tofino?I love fishing the Portland Point banks & the run to and back from Tofino crosses the swells at a friendly angle. Hotest surfer chicks on the coast.

Book a day with fishtofino & learn the ropes.

Aweome info in this thread. I was also possibly looking to switch things up from my regular nootka trip.

My dates will be the end of July till the first week of august.

My regular crew of guys will only be interested fishing, so location preferred would be closest camping ground/dock to the fishing grounds.

I'm running a 18ft searunner 115hp. So I wouldn't want to venture out too far if seas are rough. However, hoping to also get some bottom fishing done if condition aren't terrible.

Any information would be great thanks!

Back