Halibut opening

Well I can't be bothered reading 16 pages of replies and opinions. Any word when season will start then for food fisherman like myself. Thank you

Something not mentioned on here yet. Or asked.
Did anyone official ask DFO to up the allocation to rec side? Does SFAB submit a motion to them wen they submit the recommendations? Maybe outlining the need for more and explaining the impossible task of trying to provide a meaningful predictable season under current TAC.

I know they can not lobby but surely they can keep dumping motion after motion on them.

Never asked this earlier because I kind of just assumed they would.

Last edited:
Did anyone official ask DFO to up the allocation to rec side? Does SFAB submit a motion to them wen they submit the recommendations? Maybe outlining the need for more and explaining the impossible task of trying to provide a meaningful predictable season under current TAC.

I know they can not lobby but surely they can keep dumping motion after motion on them.

Never asked this earlier because I kind just assumed they would.

very eloquent my friend.

Not that I’m in the know but all the sfab minutes I’ve read I didn’t see one put forward to be honest, but not sure I’ve seen them all.

Last edited:
Think pretty easy to say this is not beating the horse. Not the last few pages anyway. It was a simple question that literally has nothing to do with this years limits from jencourt you didn’t answer...confused how you and wade think that’s beating the horse ?! You would know as SFAC chair but didn’t answer?

Last edited:
Possibly you all might take a message that Bob Hooten just put out regarding Thompson Steelhead as one way ahead?

Where to from here? If we allow the COSEWIC and SARA agenda to be followed as it is best understood today we deserve what we get. Here’s some alternatives to think about.

1. IFMPs and SFAB forums are useless from a steelhead perspective. If anyone can offer evidence of steelhead ever being accommodated in any significant way through either one of those DFO forums, provide your comments here. The people I know who have made a significant effort to assess the efficacy of these consultative processes share my view enough is enough. Its time to abandon the addiction of process and send a strong signal to the convening agency.
  2. Demand your elected provincial and federal government representatives pay attention to Thompson steelhead. In terms of steelhead in British Columbia, they represent the canary in the coal mine. Remind our politicians at every opportunity these fish face extinction on their watch. Forget the usual polite letters that rarely, if ever, receive a response that obligates the sender to actually do something. Demand face to face sessions and attend them armed with penetrating questions. Demand answers.
  3. Use social media at every opportunity to drive the message home. Thompson steelhead are an iconic internationally revered treasure that represent an important component of the lifestyle and social fabric of this country. We will not stand idle and witness them relegated to photo albums. The fact that there was an emergency assessment conducted by COSEWIC was, in no small part, the result of noise coming from deeply concerned lay persons. If there is one thing our elected representatives pay attention to it is criticism directed at them though mainstream and social media. The more, the merrier.
  4. Invest in lawyers instead of process. There are measures afoot to engage legal experts to test DFO’s legal obligations under SARA. The principle actors involve a coalition of the four main steelhead advocacy groups in BC plus two other conservation focused organizations with extensive experience in the political arena. Watch for more from them in days ahead.

Think pretty easy to say this is not beating the horse. Not the last few pages anyway. It was a simple question that literally has nothing to do with this years limits from jencourt you didn’t answer...confused how you and wade think that’s beating the horse ?! You would know as SFAC chair but didn’t answer?

why don't u show up to SFAC meeting... i'll be happy to answer...oh that's right u don't have time....:rolleyes::p

Never asked this earlier because I kind of just assumed they would.

To my knowledge over the years there have been many motions put forward on increasing the % of TAC and our dislike of the halibut experimental fishery. It's obvious that neither made a dent. I guess we could bang our head at that wall one more time if your willing to craft one....:rolleyes:

why don't u show up to SFAC meeting... i'll be happy to answer...oh that's right u don't have time....:rolleyes::p

Hmm. One I’m in Kansas and one I’m in salt
Lake. Yeah, if you lend me your teleporter from your garage like I asked you to then I would of been there. #selfish #teleporterhog

I wish the band would get back together.... look I see more hair.

I think Deryk is saying that because people are still looking at the ways the SFAB didn't do its job. It's been a constant theme on thread and getting old. Don't get your way blame the system. We need more allocation by a lobby group that's all. Squabbling over he said she said isn't going to fix issue. Sfab is an advisory group.

Back