Rockfish Conservation Areas now on Navionics charts

Eden Island

I like to fish the Broughtons, where it seems that many of the best fishing areas are in or near Rockfish Conservation Areas [RCA's]. When I upgraded my 1990s Lowrance in 2017, I was amazed at the charting, but disappointed that the charts didn't include the RCA's.

After a bit of conversation with DFO's Brad Beaith and tech support at Navionics, it was clear that everyone was willing. The last word was this message from Navionics:

Navionics appreciates your input and I am pleased to inform you that an update has been released. The updated data is currently available through our Freshest Data download which is accessed on the Navionics Webstore. For instructions on completing an update to your Navionics plotter card, please see our help article on ‘How to Register and Update Your Chip’. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Jennifer Pereira
Navionics Customer Service
Hopefully this will be helpful to those of you using Navionics charts, and act as a spur to CMAP to follow.

Wow thanks for your initiative!

This is great! With daily updates available through Freshest Data on Navionics and co-operation with DFO, it can be hoped that in the future all area closures including prawn and sponge glass areas etc, etc could be downloaded with updates. Similar maybe for C-Map.

Nothing on my phone navonics app after updating. Has anyone tried this out and updated their card?

I am looking on my cell app and it seems the RCA's are marked by red-dash line - is this correct? Is there anywhere in the app that provides a 'legend' to the markings?

I am looking on my cell app and it seems the RCA's are marked by red-dash line - is this correct? Is there anywhere in the app that provides a 'legend' to the markings?
Yeah I see that now too. It just says “special purpose or general marking” on most of them. The one by Bowen is marked as RCA. It would be nice if they had a different shade to the entire RCA so that it sets it apart from the other areas

Attachments

• E67AF9E3-7AAB-4D84-9C8B-3F5B4DE5B1DD.png
    E67AF9E3-7AAB-4D84-9C8B-3F5B4DE5B1DD.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 8FB81A87-E0A4-49F4-B978-99AE23E17539.png
    8FB81A87-E0A4-49F4-B978-99AE23E17539.png
    605 KB · Views: 111
Yeah I see that now too. It just says “special purpose or general marking” on most of them. The one by Bowen is marked as RCA. It would be nice if they had a different shade to the entire RCA so that it sets it apart from the other areas
I would contact Navionics with a suggestion about what you'd like to see - they seem pretty responsive.

Thanks for getting that done! I noticed it on my app the other day and was super impressed. Took a little looking to find the boundrys of the RCA's and only found it cause I know where it is. Shading it a little is a great idea. Was still impressed that it was on there in the first place!

Thanks for getting that done! I noticed it on my app the other day and was super impressed. Took a little looking to find the boundrys of the RCA's and only found it cause I know where it is. Shading it a little is a great idea. Was still impressed that it was on there in the first place!

Yes - I agree you need to know where the RCA's are to start with in order to recognise. But it's a start and impressed ........

Last edited:
Thumbs up on getting this done. Shading would be an added bonus, but I suspect the majority of users would not want to have an area shaded. Maybe they could make it an option to shade? But this is great. No more wondering where the RCA line is....

Back