Halibut opening

SV yes more help is what we need so his new group will be welcomed. Keep us up to date SG.

I am totally game to step up, last two SFAC meetings in Nanaimo (where i am in off season) I was not in town, next one coming up March 15 I'm at a tradeshow in Salt Lake (every single march meeting is same time and I'm down south in salt lake). Went to Trudeau last week. I am game to get involved, especially after the mismanagement (in my opinion) of recent on goings. Hell, I've even possibly considered starting up a lobby group as **** knows we need it. I've told a couple SFAC chairs should a lobby individual for Ottawa occur for rec sector myself and my family are willing to part with significant $$ to help towards that..as like you said have skin in the game. One can only communicate with local SFAC and after that it is a old boy's group...deny all you want but that's what it is.

Am I outspoken? Absolutely, due to passion for the issue because I truly believe DFO and our reps are not properly representing the interests of sport fishermen. Maybe I'm a little blunt but I rather have that than those that just say you can't ask for accountability and lay over and take what is given to them. Whether you believe me or not, I am thankful to those that volunteer for us. That's A LOT of hours they put in especially in the winter/spring for us. That doesn't mean that if a sub par job is done we should not hold them accountable within reason. In two season, 2013/2014 we left close to 400,000 lbs of fish in the water, that deserves accountability.

Then this year we have these new regs which I STRONGLY believe will leave over an significant amount of pounds in the water...think of how many more fish will be released and possibly killed as well.

The difference, I feel, between those on the board and I is if I'm wrong I'll say so, and take accountability. 400,000 lbs (almost 1/2 our season this year) and no, "we were wrong we will improve" just "at least you had a full season, look at washington state".

I'm so confident this year we have made such a huge mistake, I'm challenging any of those on the halibut SFAB board to meet me on a pledge. Should we NOT leave over 90,000lbs in the water this season, I will donate $1,000 to SFI and even do a written apology for my lack of foresight here. Are any of the halibut SFAB board confident enough in their choice of limits to say if we are over 90,000 lbs left in the water they will do the same?

Maybe in the fall after we leave crap ton of TAC in water SV. Want to make sure the last paragraph doesn't go missed...

Last edited:
When do we find out what DFO's final decision is? I hear we should expect them to follow the recommendations, but some hope would be nice.

We have to push back NOW! __ because next year who knows what the TAC will be? Once we come down this road of diminishing sizes I think there will be no going back! For the Lodges-once your customers have gone to Alaska they won't be back! Are you all going to buy quota to try and keep your hali- business? If I were a suspicious guy it almost looks like a plot worthy of Machiavelli or Medici to make the experimental hali quota work!

Bingo Spring Fever. I keep noting this issue that is getting missed in all the negotiation to work within the current allocation.

I can go tomorrow and get my 100lber. All I have to do is pay the piper.

Our issues lie in Allocation and forcing us into purchasing "experimental" program. How long does it stay experimental. Until we accept it?

DFO and Minister need to look at the allocation and resolve.
Commercial leave fish in the water year after year and we are supposed to buy it?
Rec anglers use up our measly portion and have a need for more to feed our families.

DFO and Minister need to be addressing the Commercial issue that they have more than they need.
Fish it or lose it!

Only then can we start managing areas individually based on stocks and pressure. (which I believe increase pressure needs to be monitored)
Only then does it be come a conservation issue.

We are bending over again.

Bingo Spring Fever. I keep noting this issue that is getting missed in all the negotiation to work within the current allocation.

I can go tomorrow and get my 100lber. All I have to do is pay the piper.

Our issues lie in Allocation and forcing us into purchasing "experimental" program. How long does it stay experimental. Until we accept it?

DFO and Minister need to look at the allocation and resolve.
Commercial leave fish in the water year after year and we are supposed to buy it?
Rec anglers use up our measly portion and have a need for more to feed our families.

DFO and Minister need to be addressing the Commercial issue that they have more than they need.
Fish it or lose it!

Only then can we start managing areas individually based on stocks and pressure. (which I believe increase pressure needs to be monitored)
Only then does it be come a conservation issue.

We are bending over again.

Ok, so let me ask you this: how are you going to help out rectifying this situation, TipsUp?

Only asking couse I don't know the answer or where to find it how much has the commercial left in the water over the last ten years on a year to year basis. Would this not show a pattern we could use to take what was left behind per say as a percentage to add to ours . New to this so please forgive me if already considered

I hate to say it but previous experience has shown that rec dudes in my area will be keeping fish outside the size slot.....they will keep what they catch. I'm not proud of that position of halibut fishing but it is what it is. This current recommendation will make it worse. I'm personally thinking this reg will make a whole bunch of fishermen/women into poachers. No clue how they will be able to enforce this. My 2 cents

You will always find those people who have disregard for the regulations no matter what they are or where they are.

Not the place to discuss obeying or not obeying potential unjust, unfair or ill thought out regulations. If people are talking about them in that light and won't obey them then they usually do not stand. Now is the time to make your thoughts known before the regs are in play!!

So, I take if DFO is still chewing on the recommendation. I also read that the IPHC is trying to get together one more time to sort things out. If this is the case than I hope DFO will not be in a rush to open the season & let IPHC work things out.

Am I wrong in thinking there is still some hope yet?

Interesting quote by the fisheries minister today regarding "Canada's owner-operator policy means individual fishermen are required to fish their licences personally and reap the rewards."

Inshore fisheries addressed
The Liberals' changes also hope to protect the independent inshore commercial fishery.
Canada's owner-operator policy means individual fishermen are required to fish their licences personally and reap the rewards. The fleet-separation policy ensures corporations cannot both be harvester and processor.
But the Department of Fisheries and Oceans says it has been battling controlling agreements, which it says are an effort by companies and fishermen to get around those policies. Companies say the arrangements guarantee the supply they need to justify multimillion-dollar investments in facilities.

The newly announced proposals would enshrine "the social, economic and cultural factors" of fishing and promote independent licence holders, said LeBlanc.

Back