Does anyone know where/when to reliably catch starry flounder

Bugs

A biologist friend is looking for adult starry flounder for research. Starry Flounder are the diamond shaped species of flounder with distinct dark and light banding on their fins. I grew up fishing the Strait, but have only caught a few. I have heard that there are times and places where it is possible to reliably catch these guys, but don't know where and when. Any input appreciated.

Estuaries in the spring when the juvie salmon are outmigrating - and under juvie herring balls...

I remember years ago there actually was a fishery for them in the upper arm of Okeover Inlet towards the Susan Islets. I guess it was because of the Theodosia river feeding in to the top end and as you say juvies returning to the ocean passed through in large numbers.

If you have an eelgrass bed that has access from the ocean (more clumped) - like other marine predators such as staghorn sculpins and gunnels/pricklebacks - they will come in as the tide rises to the bed looking for anything they can get. Does that mesh w what you experienced in Hakai Pass, chromatose?

Last edited:
Caught lots along with sole in front of Powel river some years ago, it was deep, 200 ft but there were lots, also got them in Hardy bay. Have not fished them in years so no intel recent. They do taste great.

HM

Over the years I have seen a few washed up on shore at Island View Beach when walking southbound on the beach from the boat launch. Some good sized ones too.
I don't recall a specific time of year.

Over the years I have seen a few washed up on shore at Island View Beach when walking southbound on the beach from the boat launch. Some good sized ones too.
I don't recall a specific time of year.
Seen and caught some decent ones near there too.

Thanks very much for the responses guys, passed on. He is in Victoria, so off Island View looks like a start. They are interesting fish, I saw a huge one spook from only about 10 feet down way out in open water in Johnstone Strait once. Not sure what he was doing there!

Will

Thanks very much for the responses guys, passed on. He is in Victoria, so off Island View looks like a start. They are interesting fish, I saw a huge one spook from only about 10 feet down way out in open water in Johnstone Strait once. Not sure what he was doing there!

Will
Bugs (Will): I have fished the lower island for 50+ years and have only caught 3 Starry Flounders, one at Pedder Bay and two one day drifting and jigging the bottom at Sidney powder wharf to can buoy area (only fished there a couple times). I expect trying the Island View to powder wharf area will give a decent chance to catch one.
Good Luck.
...Rob

Bugs (Will): I have fished the lower island for 50+ years and have only caught 3 Starry Flounders, one at Pedder Bay and two one day drifting and jigging the bottom at Sidney powder wharf to can buoy area (only fished there a couple times). I expect trying the Island View to powder wharf area will give a decent chance to catch one.
Good Luck.
...Rob
X2. I got two off Sidney Spit (different trips). So I think they're starting in right place.
Super delicious.

Last year early June fishing off gabriola for lings, no doing very well as we had no live bait on hand. I **** you not three 2 - 3 lb starry flounder lazily cruised by our boat no more than 1' under the surface . Two of the three were exchanged for high teens lings in short order.

Many years ago in English Bay in July/August. We would take big swaths of mussles from the sides of the slide. Smash them up and throw them into the water as chum. Tens of Starry Flounders would show up and we would spear them with mask and snorkel. We would ride home on the main street trolley bus with big pails brimming. They would come into 4 ft of water right between swimmers feet. It was always fun to stab a big one right in front of the women in the water who would scream when we came up with a big one flopping on the end of an arrow. download.jpeg

If you have an eelgrass bed that has access from the ocean (more clumped) - like other marine predators such as staghorn sculpins and gunnels/pricklebacks - they will come in as the tide rises to the bed looking for anything they can get. Does that mesh w what you experienced in Hakai Pass, chromatose?
Pretty random. Jigged and mooched them up

Back