Halibut opening

here u go : the SFAB is recommendations the following to DFO for the 2018 season... ( OBD) DFO usually implements them:

March 1st to Dec 31st. 1 per day, 2 in possession 115/83 cm 6 fish annual...

here u go : the SFAB is recommendations the following to DFO for the 2018 season... ( OBD) DFO usually implements them:

42/15 lbs. max.
Was 68.5/14.2

Last edited:
:mad: Sad day for west coast fishermen when that’s the recommendation by our own reps given the tac we have.

It will be 2013 all over again where we leave well over 100,000 lbs of TAC in the water and over restrict OURSELVES. (Yes, #1 problem is 15% but reps are making it much worse than it has to be on us).

While more than anything we have to let DFO and the Minister know 15% is NOT ok, we also have to let our reps know the regs they picked are also not ok given the TAC we have and using past actual catches. Appreciate their volunteer hours but that does not exclude them from accountability!!!

Last edited:
I would have had one keeper last year if we had those regs, and I released 3 overs...... major expletive!! (Rhymes with duck)

Really a very stupid recommendation-the Total Tac was supposed to be down 14% and yet we voluntarily ask to lower the size of fish by 38.7%. Didn't anyone at the SFAB have a computer. The commercials must be laughing!! We left TAC in the water 2 seasons running-whose side are these guys on!!

here u go : the SFAB is recoobmmendations the following to DFO for the 2018 season... ( OBD) DFO usually implements them:

I sure hope that these regulation recommendations aren't etched in stone as it would be a major nightmare for my area of fishing, Victoria. It is virtully impossible to ever find a fish under 83 cm here and last year my boat probably had 80 to 90 per cent of the fish over 115 cm. This was with avoiding my known big fish spots.
...Rob

What about remaining calm until someone gets a chance to explain the math and the choices available? Also, locals don't need to worry about the 83cm, so including it in an argument weakens otherwise valid points, unless you're a guide bringing outsiders to your local area.

What about remaining calm until someone gets a chance to explain the math and the choices available? Also, locals don't need to worry about the 83cm, so including it in an argument weakens otherwise valid points, unless you're a guide bringing outsiders to your local area.

Remaining calm has got us nowhere- if this goes through it is a complete farce! Once again we are taking the hit and supposedly from our own advocates. Doesn't sound to me like we are going to get any choices other than "take it or leave it"

I was in the room briefly yesterday.

Guys, the projection showed no way to retain a fish over 124CM, which is 52 pounds. That's even with a 1/1 fish. Bottom line, July and August is 5000 to 7000 pounds per day on this coast, and that changes big time if salmon fishing is slow. Yes, there was an overage in 2013. Get over it. If there was not an overage, there would have been rocks thrown at the SFAB because they would have been blamed for miscalculating and causing an unexpected shutdown. Like we had for 2017 on Sept 6.

Get ready, this is nothing. There was more time spent on discussing yellow eye mortality, if you think what we got was bad, wait till you see next year. And there are big measures about to be taken to avoid the fields of orange pumpkins left floating around offshore hali holes, Yellow Eye is now on the radar.

I had the spreadsheet in my hand with all of the potential options. There was no option to give us anywhere near full season with anything bigger then 50 pounds. I did not understand the math myself until I saw it on the spreadsheet. There is just about no discount (Less then %15) for removing the smaller fish.

Sucks to be in Victoria with all of our big fish. Time to stick to the mud hole this spring.

Don't beat up our SFAB volunteers.. This job is thankless.

Back