What measures would you like to see SFAB bring forward to DFO for Halibut

• Minimum and Maximum size limits

• Individual annual limits

• Daily and total possession limits

• Season length

• Time and area closures

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’d say 1:1 actually benefits coastal residents the most out of anyone.

If it goes to 50 or 60lb limits I’ll bet experimental quota goes up. Look at 2012, 1/2 one no size and one 12lb and the 12 is almost negliagible for meat (assume main reason experimental used) and in 2012 least amount of experimental quota used since inception. Wanna get rid of experimental 1:1 will go way further than any other option

In a perfect world We Need, 20-25%

We are Canadian, why not share the leftovers if we are staying capped at 15% ? Experimental is not viable or monitored via video...Clearly the quota is there.

The Mystery of when the season will open and close is an embarrassment for tourism in the capital of Victoria specifically.

Most here want the longest season possible, Reason being we have tide restictions. Essentially creating a pulse fishery. 6-7 good tides, 9-12 not fishable etc. North of of us, weather becomes the primary barrier...

“The System is Broken” & Distrust is on the Rise. Dfo is driving a wedge train.

Has there been any discussion on yellow eye yet. My understanding is that YE encounters will drive the halibut fishing rules more than anything. Trying to go from 60t to 15t is going to impact.

One and one works for guides-- but not for us who make multi day trips. Am I going to drive all the way to Hardy or Tahsis dragging the boat for one hali in three days fishing ? Hell no! I would prefer to see the annual dropped to 4 instead.
Going from 6 annual to 4 annual saves us 5% of the TAC and should still help those that travel.

Has there been any discussion on yellow eye yet. My understanding is that YE encounters will drive the halibut fishing rules more than anything. Trying to go from 60t to 15t is going to impact.
YA ..too bad the commercial industry caused this problem that we all of a suddenly have to work out...guess the sportie boats are going to require camera's on every boat shortly .....;)

Not to be negative but, this year 4, next year 3? then in 2 years lots of boats real cheap. When do we draw a line?

HM

this is what is positive.... we will have a Hali season & we will have a Chinook season..... there are lots of positive....some years one need to make lemonade with the lemons..just add a little sugar :)

YA ..too bad the commercial industry caused this problem that we all of a suddenly have to work out...guess the sportie boats are going to require camera's on every boat shortly .....;)
Weird. The problem appears to be along the west side of Vancouver island and the Gulf of Georgia.

this is what is positive.... we will have a Hali season & we will have a Chinook season..... there are lots of positive....some years one need to make lemonade with the lemons..just add a little sugar :)

Let’s not push it Deryk... :p lol

One and one works for guides-- but not for us who make multi day trips. Am I going to drive all the way to Hardy or Tahsis dragging the boat for one hali in three days fishing ? Hell no! I would prefer to see the annual dropped to 4 instead.
I'm with you brother makes a lot of sense to me. I need to drag from even farther away and see it just as you do but one has to wonder if that is by design.

Well that’s the difference between 1/1 and 1/2 right now. A 8-12lb fish. That isn’t gonna stop someone from driving to coast

Not sure why but my social media is blowing up saying Halibut opens March 31. Must be people panicking from the notice. Id imagine they will announce an opening Very Soon

Back