2018 Gulf Island Reports

Did some winter fishing around Salt Spring, Pender and Galiano over new years over the course of 4 days. Overall it was pretty spotty with long stretches in between bites. Didn't get the usual 'shaker' frenzy for this time of year which was kinda nice actually as sometimes you end up dragging one around for half an hour before doing a line check. Anyways, trolled fairly deep at most locations (140ft or deeper) while scraping bottom and managed to pick up a few keepers. A couple were barely legal but we did get one nice one around 14lbs. Great looking fish in the winter. All hatchery that we kept. Small spoons (glow) got the majority of the action.

Pretty quiet around here! anyone been out? We're hoping to get out again in February we decided to take Jan off to just do some boat TLC, and upgrades!

26730776_10154981375882553_3307699788303941444_n.jpg
Anyone know what they plan to do?

The discussion seemed to have started 15 years ago now and the map you posted seems to have been generated in 2011 ... not sure where it is currently in the process and what practical restrictions it would create. The overview of it is as follows:

Southern Strait of Georgia Feasibility Study
In October 2003, Canada and the Province of British Columbia signed a Memorandum of Understanding that committed the two governments to assess the feasibility of a national marine conservation area reserve in the southern Strait of Georgia area. The study area is representative of the Strait of Georgia Marine Region.

The feasibility assessment was launched in 2004 and has included dialogue with First Nations, and consultations with key stakeholders, communities and the public. As part of the consultation process, Parks Canada hosted 35 public consultations, and over 300 meetings and presentations have taken place. Technical studies analyzing ecological, cultural and socio-economic information have also been an important part of the feasibility assessment.

On October 13, 2011, the Governments of Canada and British Columbia announced a proposed boundary for a national marine conservation area reserve in the Southern Strait of Georgia. The two governments will now begin in-depth consultations with First Nations and local governments and a final boundary will be determined only after consultations are complete and the feasibility assessment is concluded.

Following First Nations and local government consultations, the Governments of Canada and British Columbia will decide if a national marine conservation area reserve is practical and desirable. If so, an establishment agreement between the Governments of Canada and British Columbia will be negotiated and an interim management plan will be developed. During interim management planning, First Nations, stakeholders, communities and the public will have opportunities to provide more feedback.

The discussion seemed to have started 15 years ago now and the map you posted seems to have been generated in 2011 ... not sure where it is currently in the process and what practical restrictions it would create. The overview of it is as follows:

Southern Strait of Georgia Feasibility Study
In October 2003, Canada and the Province of British Columbia signed a Memorandum of Understanding that committed the two governments to assess the feasibility of a national marine conservation area reserve in the southern Strait of Georgia area. The study area is representative of the Strait of Georgia Marine Region.

The feasibility assessment was launched in 2004 and has included dialogue with First Nations, and consultations with key stakeholders, communities and the public. As part of the consultation process, Parks Canada hosted 35 public consultations, and over 300 meetings and presentations have taken place. Technical studies analyzing ecological, cultural and socio-economic information have also been an important part of the feasibility assessment.

On October 13, 2011, the Governments of Canada and British Columbia announced a proposed boundary for a national marine conservation area reserve in the Southern Strait of Georgia. The two governments will now begin in-depth consultations with First Nations and local governments and a final boundary will be determined only after consultations are complete and the feasibility assessment is concluded.

Following First Nations and local government consultations, the Governments of Canada and British Columbia will decide if a national marine conservation area reserve is practical and desirable. If so, an establishment agreement between the Governments of Canada and British Columbia will be negotiated and an interim management plan will be developed. During interim management planning, First Nations, stakeholders, communities and the public will have opportunities to provide more feedback.

Thanks Teja

Last edited:
Was discussed at one of the public SVIAC meetings in Victoria. I guess this proposal is back on the table and may have far reaching impact on the SVI fisheries.

Was discussed at one of the public SVIAC meetings in Victoria. I guess this proposal is back on the table and may have far reaching impact on the SVI fisheries.
Am apprehensively looking forward to the first post with further details. Was it being discussed at tonight’s meeting also?

Reactions: A73
Am apprehensively looking forward to the first post with further details. Was it being discussed at tonight’s meeting also?

There was a meeting at Pender Island town hall on Tuesday but I was not able to attend. I did read that little progress was made, some of the comments people made did not make a lot of sense to me. Closing this area to salmon fishing will not increase salmon numbers or whales.

We got out today for some prawning and trolled for springs at tent, ended up with 355 prawns and missed one spring but saw 3 get netted so they are around! Great day on the water though other then the non stop rain :D

Got a couple of buddies from work out on the water today. Got out early and got the prawn traps soaking while we made some passes up and down in front of Tent Island. We were rewarded with 2 nice little winter springs (65 cm and 64cm) and 500 prawns. A great day to be on the water. Not sure what has changed at Bear Pt in front of Chemainus but the crabbing has been awful for us the last 6 months. Another skunk today with 3 traps in the water.

Len.jpeg Rene.jpg

Awesome report! Weather permitting, we will be over that way for the Family Day weekend and will need to drop the lines at Tent. Unfortunately, we will be there at the wrong time for the prawns given the first half of the month pulse closures.

Interesting I was wrong ...
You and I both. 17-6 has traditionally been closed on the Pulse and I read the December 2017 notice too quickly and missed that it wasn’t included this time around in the pulse closure notice. Thanks to all for clarifiying.

Yes, the pulse fishery is continuing in 17-6 this year. Last winter it was closed from January 1st to March 31st. A lot of the neighboring sub areas in 17 are closed for the winter but it is nice to still have somewhere to go.

Last edited:
Will be running over from Vancouver to Saltspring tomorrow a.m. for the Family Day weekend. Will be dropping the lines at Porlier for an hour or two on the way over and will post a report. Curious also if there is a fresh Tent Island report.

I heard Tent has been productive. Going to start there tomorrow. I’ll post an update for you

Back