Multi Purpose Anchor Line

Waterwolf2230

Hey guys,

Do any of you see an issue in using weighted 5/16 prawn line in a halibut anchor system? I was going to build a system just like they have at Harbour Chandler but using my existing prawn line.

Thanks,

Curtis

Depends on the size of your boat. Up to 30' shouldn't be an issue. Attaching the chain could be problematic.
Good idea, gl.

Going to be very heavy to pull up - might stress the typical prawn puller. How do you plan to pull the traps up?
I'll be using the Ace Line Hauler for prawning which should be fine, and the hali anchor pulls itself with the buoy. My boat is 28' overall and I was going to put 45-50' of grade 30 5/16" chain. 18" buoy with 30-50' tagline is what I was thinking. Oh and a 7.5kg Bruce style claw anchor. Some have suggested I go up to a 10kg anchor...thoughts?

I like the prawn idea for the multipurpose aspect, also I can if need be add my 100' - 5/16 weighted crab line to the 450' of prawn line if I need the extra depth. I've been practicing my rope splicing. Not too bad once you get in a rhythm.

Cheers,

Curtis

Attachments

• Rope Splice with Thimble.JPG.jpeg
    Rope Splice with Thimble.JPG.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 69
I'll be using the Ace Line Hauler for prawning which should be fine, and the hali anchor pulls itself with the buoy. My boat is 28' overall and I was going to put 45-50' of grade 30 5/16" chain. 18" buoy with 30-50' tagline is what I was thinking. Oh and a 7.5kg Bruce style claw anchor. Some have suggested I go up to a 10kg anchor...thoughts?

I like the prawn idea for the multipurpose aspect, also I can if need be add my 100' - 5/16 weighted crab line to the 450' of prawn line if I need the extra depth. I've been practicing my rope splicing. Not too bad once you get in a rhythm.

Cheers,

Curtis

Hi Curtis. I used the same se

Cheers,

Curtis

P.M. sent. Cheers Jim.

Hand lining it in will be the issue, once pulled it will sink again and 400' will get heavy to work with if I understand you correctly. The other would be comfort working with the smaller diameter line.

Hand lining it in will be the issue, once pulled it will sink again and 400' will get heavy to work with if I understand you correctly. The other would be comfort working with the smaller diameter line.
I never really thought about it that way. I guess after the first trip I’ll have a good idea. Do any of you use a hose reel to store the line or just a garbage bin? A buddy of mine uses a hose reel for 600’ of prawn line. Works pretty slick.

Splice D links in your lines to add your extra line. Prawners use these to speed up the joining of 2 pieces of line and they go through a hauler easily

I have been running 600’ of weighted 5/16” crab rope for a number of years for my hali anchor setup for my 28’ boat. It works great. Being three strand it is easy to splice to the chain and or other rope. 4 years ago I lost an anchor while running the 5/16 spliced directly to the anchor chain after getting the rope in the rocks. It chaffed it badly, which ultimately severed it on the pull. I now splice the 5”/16 to 100’ of 1/2” three strand anchor rope which is then spliced to the anchor chain. This gives me a bit more integrity for the portion on the sea floor. I have not had any trouble since this change. This is all deployed from a tub in the cockpit and retrieved with a scottsman.

Hey guys,

Do any of you see an issue in using weighted 5/16 prawn line in a halibut anchor system? I was going to build a system just like they have at Harbour Chandler but using my existing prawn line.

Thanks,

Curtis
commercial longliners, prawners use polyester line that sinks when wet-no need to have weighted line as the ace hauler can only haul 2 prawn traps so the extra weight is a strain.

wont be a problem.
splicing leadline can be hard because its so stiff. i use 100ft of 1/4" chain for my hali anchor set up. pull it with a ring and a scotchman, then use the ace to retrieve the line into a bucket. bin etc.
btw the ace is rated for 4 traps not 2 and ive never seen a commie boat use anything but leadline for sets

It works, but it takes up more space due to the stiffness and the need to coil it, compared to softer more expensive ropes commonly sold as halibut anchor set ups. It takes a bit longer to haul up when hali fishing and doing a quick pull to avoid incoming bad weather or freighters. I use a full size green garbage can to coil it in, but it takes up way more space than my friends small basket using the expensive rope.

I'm using hose reel and I have 1600 ' of prawn line on it that's give to me plenty of room on my 26'RH

Yeah I'd think the biggest issue would be it sinking after you pull the anchor, but before you recover all your line in the boat. But I doubt you'd have any problem with any of the other technicalities.

Back