Evinrude - Opinions and what years (or all to be avoided)

I will check those things.

Funny, the red clip part of the lanyard has a crack in it, so its not as "pinchy" as it should be. It stays on and allows the boat to turnover and run. But isn't as firmly in place as it should be.

What do you mean by pressure but no volume regarding the impeller?

Funny, the red clip part of the lanyard has a crack in it, so its not as "pinchy" as it should be. It stays on and allows the boat to turnover and run. But isn't as firmly in place as it should be.
I'll bet if you replace it, your problem will go away...
;)

I don't get how that will help. But I'll give it a shot!

The Temp buzzer comes on whether the lanyard is in or not. Again, the buzzer comes on when the key is tipped forward, ie just to power the accessories, not turn the motor over. So it can't be 'overheating' when it is cold and not even running. It persists after the motor is running as well.

The motor never when into limp mode when it was running, this motor has the S.L.O.W., speed limiting overheat warning system. But it was never triggered. Temp never increased after running for a couple hours. Impeller was doing its thing all along...

I guess the next step is to replace the buzzer itself, or unplug it and roll the dice! lol

faulty sensor? is it a thermocouple that the alarm is attached to?

Found this online, No idea if it applies

"it was the bad and loose screw in the key switch. Yes, there was a short inside the control box. I took it apart and found the bad loose screw and replaced it from my tool box. and Voila. Killed 3 birds in 1 stone without buying a new control box. Bird #1 - annoying alarm beeping stopped, Bird #2 - now i can crank start my motor 100%, used to be sometimes good, sometimes no good. Bird #3-- now i can shut off my motor when i turn my key. ."

"Disconnect both temp sensors if it still goes on, check the trim alarm circuit.. The trim alarm circuit will activate if the lower unit is up. The alarm will go on if the sensor is bad for the trim. The trim gauge will dry you crazy."

"
it was the positive RED wire screw to the back of the key switch inside the control box. So, i think when I turned the key switch something shorted with the alarm inside the remote control box and caused the alarm to sound. good luck in your troubleshooting. They are certainly pain in the neck to find. I almost went out and bought a new control box. So, start by checking your loose wire and loose screws. That's what I decided to do. I was so scare to take things apart initially, but because I knew I was ready to buy a new key switch so I just started ripping things apart and clean everything single wire inside the control box. and lo and behold. The screw was loose from salt corrosion, so I replaced it and everything is as new. No problem at all. The key switch and control box just works flawlessly now. Take everything apart and clean them from salt and grease so you can check everything.

"

Last edited:
I appreciate the info. I COULD check that stuff. Trust me, I have read a ton of forum posts.

I am not really knowledgeable (obviously) nor do I have time to tinker with it on my own. I know, not a good thing for a boat owner. I guess I'll just have to bring it in, or unplug the buzzer and take my chances.

I'm probably just going to bring it in. It probably is whatever wire/sensor is on the motor side. Or the buzzer itself.

The more of the trouble shooting posts I read the further down the rabbit hole I wind up. There are so many different variations by year and model of this motor and not all are compatible that it is quite frustrating to sift through. "The Ocean Pros were like _____, the Intruder _____, The 60 degree is like______, the 90 degree_____. So its easy to lose track on who in any forum is speaking from experience on a model that is not the same as mine. All are 115hp from the same year.

Last edited:
When was the last time the impeller was changed? I only ask as water may come out the hole... But no volume comes out.
Does it go into alarm right away? Like turn the key and it buzzes? Or does it take afew minutes?

The buzzer sounds when the boat is cold. Sitting in my garage, without having been run. Simply turning the key to power the accessories sets off the alarm. ie. NOT turning it over, just turning the key one click forward like when you want to turn just the radio on in a car.

It ALSO goes off while running. I ran the boat for 2 hours + the last time out, and just listened to the buzz the whole time. The temps never increased, the motor didn't go into limp mode and showed no signs of anything being wrong.

I have deduced that it obviously must be a sensor somewhere, or a short in the wiring that is making the buzzer sound without 'mechanical' cause.

Where the sensor is, I will have to track it down when I find the time, or decide just to bring it in.

Thanks for the suggestions on where to bring it. I have had good luck with Bernie at Aloutte Marine, but I might look into Haney.

I LOATH bringing in anything that needs diagnosis time. I feel that is a wild card that leads to the B.O.A.T part of boat ownership.

Hes great for advice on old boat toos helped me with problems with an old 60hp merc, Also on hydraulic Ram issues i was having

The buzzer sounds when the boat is cold. Sitting in my garage, without having been run. Simply turning the key to power the accessories sets off the alarm. ie. NOT turning it over, just turning the key one click forward like when you want to turn just the radio on in a car.

It ALSO goes off while running. I ran the boat for 2 hours + the last time out, and just listened to the buzz the whole time. The temps never increased, the motor didn't go into limp mode and showed no signs of anything being wrong.

I have deduced that it obviously must be a sensor somewhere, or a short in the wiring that is making the buzzer sound without 'mechanical' cause.

Where the sensor is, I will have to track it down when I find the time, or decide just to bring it in.

Do you have an engine manual? I picked up a new Merc opti manual for about $30. Wiring diagrams etc 2.5" thick.

Yes, I think. But it incorporates all motors from 90 to 150 of my vintage (4 different models of each individual HP). I can take a closer look and find the buzzer and whatever sensor/wire it connects to and see what I can find. Maybe its the sensor, maybe the connection needs cleaning on both ends, or the buzzer itself...

Back