2018 chinook limits

Sradons

Crew Member
Hello,
some on here are much more int he know than i am. Their is a rumor floating around the north coast(could be beyond) that the 2018 chinook limits are going down to 1 per day 2 possession. Has anyone else heard of this?

Sam

Hello,
some on here are much more int he know than i am. Their is a rumor floating around the north coast(could be beyond) that the 2018 chinook limits are going down to 1 per day 2 possession. Has anyone else heard of this?

Sam

Heard that but haven't researched it. 1 over 77 and 1 under 77 cm is what I heard.

That would be a huge hit to the folks who work in the guide/Lodge industry.

Heard that but haven't researched it. 1 over 77 and 1 under 77 cm is what I heard.

Up north that could prove hard. The under 77cm would be hard to do and a waste of a fish

Is this for area 1 or ? Combine that with possibility of more halibut restrictions if we don’t get 20+%, lingcod down to 2 a day, etc and no one will be coming to BC to fish anymore...they’ll all head to Alaska where limits are much more liberal on salmon and halibut anyway, especially if self guided.

Would destroy coastal communities that rely on tourism.

Not to mention thousands of dead fish floating to the bottom looking for a 77cm. Probably more harm than good

I hope this is just a rumour...

..they’ll all head to Alaska where limits are much more liberal on salmon

what i've never understood is why people who spend like 5-20k that go to a lodge want to maximise how much they bring home. You would think if they have that kind of bling it would be enough to bring home a few trophy fish home. Like I understand people wanting to go where their is lights out fishing and bringing home a few trophy fish But yet you see lots of post on this site where people are asking where they can get a trip to to maximise their take home.

Maybe someone can explain this to me because i just don't get it?

Definitely feel sorry for thoes living a hand to mouth existence up their tho.

Hello,

Sam

do u have area's ??

interesting.. what was he bang on about last year as there was no changes... Chinook our on the table at the end of the month so not sure how anything can be in stone right now.. but I can always check with those I know..i would be interested in why there would be such a reg change...

interesting.. what was he bang on about last year as there was no changes... Chinook our on the table at the end of the month so not sure how anything can be in stone right now.. but I can always check with those I know..i would be interested in why there would be such a reg change...

He said that there would be non retention of sockeye in tidal waters.

There have only been sockeye openings on the 2010, 2014 brood years and the other 3 year brood years haven't seen tidal fisheries in years....just saying it was a given. 2018 is likely to see a sockeye tidal water fishery as this is the one remaining strong brood year.

okay..then he would be talking about the Skeena area.... up north.. not hearing much, that being said Skeena has been seeing some poor Chinook returns but no one has really seen the forecast yet as it is speculation at best in the fall....that being said if your guy works for the Dept. then he would have the inside info... I do hope that the North Coast SFAB has this info to digest before the spring meeting...

There have only been sockeye openings on the 2010, 2014 brood years and the other 3 year brood years haven't seen tidal fisheries in years....just saying it was a given. 2018 is likely to see a sockeye tidal water fishery as this is the one remaining strong brood year.

The 2014 sockeye brood year would of entered the water in 2015, 2015-2016 were the warm blob ocean conditions. if the Adams river run does make it back strong it will certainly be going against the current consensus on ocean survival conditions.

Expecting their to be a sockeye opening this year is more of a hope then a certainty likes it’s been in the past.

I wouldn’t expect changes to chinook regs this year as the pacific salmon treaty is still in negotiations. The wild salmon policy is still not finalized. Any closures will be based on the old models. How the SRKW situation plays into it all I’m not sure.

Darby they were suppose to be finalizing the nagations PST in December have u herd anything?

All is held close to the chest before going into the Negations so nothing at this time....

what i've never understood is why people who spend like 5-20k that go to a lodge want to maximise how much they bring home. You would think if they have that kind of bling it would be enough to bring home a few trophy fish home. Like I understand people wanting to go where their is lights out fishing and bringing home a few trophy fish But yet you see lots of post on this site where people are asking where they can get a trip to to maximise their take home.

Maybe someone can explain this to me because i just don't get it?

Definitely feel sorry for thoes living a hand to mouth existence up their tho.

Seems kinda straightforward to me:

1) People can pay a lot of money to go fishing at a destination lodge and want to maximize their expenditure with bringing back as much fish as they can to show off their fishing abilities and trip success.
2) Many people like to eat fish that they catch themselves - old hunter/gatherer instincts and share with friends and family
3) People like to eat salmon, the more salmon to eat, the better they feel.

Way too early to speculate and worry about it. Life’s too short.

Another 6 weeks and things will be in place

Back