Vancouver Canucks season

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO NUCKS GO, going to be pretty hard to catch the Yotes but if they put their mind to it , they might be able to pull it off :D:p:eek:

Even if they catch the Yotes, doesn't mean they will win the lottery and get Dahlin...they have a long history of not faring well in those situations going all the way back to Perrault vs Talon in their inaugural flip of the coin loss in 1970. Alex Edler seems to epitomize that "close but no cigar" feeling you have about the Canucks. Last night he blocks Doughty's shot only to have the puck bounce right back to him and he deposits the rebound behind Markstrom for the GWG. Edler is like the Charlie Brown of the NHL...even when he does something right, it seems to go wrong!
Alas, at least their is hope for the future watching the WJC. This kid seems to be the real deal.

Even if they catch the Yotes, doesn't mean they will win the lottery and get Dahlin...they have a long history of not faring well in those situations going all the way back to Perrault vs Talon in their inaugural flip of the coin loss in 1970.

The Canucks curse always comes alive at draft lotteries Even last year if they had got a single point out of their last 8 games (all regulation losses) they would have had NJ's ping pong balls and ended up draft spot #1 instead of #5 and had Hischier who has 24 points in the NHL this year. Petterson does look like he could be good, but Hischier is already good in the NHL.

The 1970 order was actually decided by a rickety roulette wheel not a coin toss, which landed on the number 11 (It was Buffalo's pick on an odd number, Canucks on even). That is also the reason Perreault wore number 11. There were also a few other notable players taken later in the 1970 first round, including Reggie Leach and Darryl Sittler!

ya..it seems Vancouver is cursed. That being said u would think we would get a break at some point:rolleyes: My Lovely wife gave me tickets to the Ducks game on Tuesday for my B-day so my buddy & I will be taking that in..been a couple years since I have been to one & looking forward to watching the game...and oh ya the 10.00 beers o_O

Last edited:
ya..it seems Vancouver is cursed. That being said u would think we would get a break at some point:rolleyes: My Lovely wife gave me ticket to the Ducks game on Tuesday for my B-day so my buddy & I will be taking that in..been a couple years since I have been to one & looking forward to watching the game...and oh ya the 10.00 beers o_O

At least this year you get a chance to see them score some goals. Their record is sliding with all the injuries, but they are far more entertaining games than the last couple seasons, from a style of play perspective. Too bad Horvat isn't playing as I think he is better live than he is on TV. Enjoy!

ya..it seems Vancouver is cursed. That being said u would think we would get a break at some point:rolleyes: My Lovely wife gave me tickets to the Ducks game on Tuesday for my B-day so my buddy & I will be taking that in..been a couple years since I have been to one & looking forward to watching the game...and oh ya the 10.00 beers o_O

If you are taking Al to the game i will phone ahead so they can keep an eye on you two :D

A showdown with the Habs for 27th place overall tonight! Wheels seem to have fallen off the bus now with the injuries. A team with so little talent depth has a tough time when injuries hit. At least it will be interesting to see if BB can keep his pace up and get rookie of the year. Also way to go Canada at WJHC! Maybe good we didn't have to face the US in the final.

If it was just about the amount of talent depth then wouldn't the Oilers be on top of the standings? With all the high draft picks the experts agreed were the most talented available over the last almost decade, they should be walking away with it. It means either the experts misjudge talent or there's more to it. Canucks are paying for the Presidents trophy, but things are turning around.

Last edited:
Out of all the 1st round picks what do the Oilers have to show for it? McDavid and Draisaitl are stars but they are paying a ton for them, Nugent-Hopkins is OK and still expensive. Nail was a fail, They traded Hall for much less than what he was worth, Eberle for Strome was a downgrade. To Get depth you need to have some draft success beyond the first round, Oilers have been brutal in drafting when they aren't drafting in the top 3, and don't have much depth at all past McDavid and Draisaitl. esp on defence. Canucks had no draft success for a decade, and spent years trading away 2nd and 3rd rounders for rentals, so yes they paid for it. They are having some better draft success (Boeser, Petersson looks good) but are still hit and miss as they got the biggest dud in the top 10 picks in 2014 (Virtanen) and drafted McCann one pick ahead of Pastrnak that year, and have the only player from the top 10 in 2016 (Juolevi) to not play in the NHL yet and he still doesn't look ready.

With Las Vegas taking over top spot in the league the path to the Stanley Cup in Vancouver is Clear
1. Aquila's sell the franchise to the guys in Seattle who want a team. They will have to sell it at a discount as an incentive. They can even leave the team in Vancouver until the Key Arena renovations are done and call it the Seattle (insert nickname here)
2. Aquila's get the new expansion franchise for Vancouver. pay the 650million or whatever they want for it and get a ready to contend team . They will get to draft an entire team of top 4 defenseman, (they only have 1 right now - Tanev) plus extra top 4 defenseman to trade. Draft 2 top notch goalies in the expansion draft. maybe even 3 as they can trade one. Forward is a bit more challenging, but Vegas did a good job of getting enough top 6 forwards that were UFA so teams didnt want to use a protection slot on them, then they get a whole bunch of good 3rd and 4th line support players to roll 4 lines (no Brendan Gaunce type players on the 4th line) . Finally they can cement the future of the team by trading surplus drafted players for picks, or getting picks for agreeing not to draft certain players like Vegas did. With only one team entering the league and a very generous expansion draft format, the pickings would be pretty ripe once again.
3. Playoffs in the first year (2020) Stanley cup by 2023.

A good win last night... wish someone was around to remind Lewis that a numbers hit on Beser is a no no....:eek:

A good win last night...

SFBC's Flyer's fan base thanks you for the recognition. Our surge of 'down and out' prior to Xmas to a very respectable 8-2 in our last 10 and a tie for 5th in the east on points is something that BSN WCO can just purely respect your notice and mention. :D:D

7MKka.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back