2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

MISSING!!!
My buddy dropped a couple sets of prawn traps over night in the horseshoe bay area. One set is missing, clearly marked with his name and phone number. If anyone sees a big green scotsman floating up that ways please pass on word to me. Unfortunately he thinks it was poached but you never know. Thanks for looking.

Don’t give up. Several times over the past couple of years I thought my traps were poached only to have them turn up a few days later drifting up the Howe Sound. One time, 4 weeks after the traps went missing initially, I got a call from a nice lady from Bowyer Island telling me my traps were drifting in front of her House. The currents around certain areas of Horseshoe Bay is pretty strong and can certainly carry off a couple of traps floating on a big bouy.
MISSING!!!
My buddy dropped a couple sets of prawn traps over night in the horseshoe bay area. One set is missing, clearly marked with his name and phone number. If anyone sees a big green scotsman floating up that ways please pass on word to me. Unfortunately he thinks it was poached but you never know. Thanks for looking.

Leave your prawn gear down overnight, and sooner or later you will loose them. Logs, king tides , other vessels or just theft..... they will be GONE

Leave your prawn gear down overnight, and sooner or later you will loose them. Logs, king tides , other vessels or just theft..... they will be GONE[/QUOTE
MISSING!!!
Leave your prawn gear down overnight, and sooner or later you will loose them. Logs, king tides , other vessels or just theft..... they will be GONE

We put our prawn gear down near the South end of Howe Sound last Sunday for two and a half hours. When returning, we noticed a gray with blue stripes 16-18’ zodiac style boat with a trap puller hanging out next to my floats. I hung back for 15 -20 minuets waiting to see if he was going to pull my gear. I finally moved in and ask him to move off so we could retrieve our gear. I noticed he had a lot of traps piled on that boat. I’m not making any accusations but I’m glad I didn’t leave them out all day.

He's experienced at prawning...proper amount of weight and length of rope on all his sets.

He ran into another guy that said watch out for a 25ft whaler as he's caught him 4 times pulling his traps.
He went back today with no luck so either pulled by deadhead/wood or ripped off.
He found a set right by his mark that was missing for 10 days and called the owner who was happy to hear that someone found it.

I could see having an issue with thieves on weekends or from may-sept but midweek in December....sign of the times I guess.

Iv'e been out in the sound for the last couple months fishing and saved about 6 prawn set ups of other people from being dragged deep or logs ready to snag a set up
a whole lot of trees and logs moving around the sound.

This was my float that i caught in time ,if both my traps weren't weighted well this tree for sure would have pulled it loose and taken it off the ledge.
upload_2017-12-10_12-13-35.png

View attachment 36150 Was out today at Sandheads and landed one keeper. Also a few released in past couple days. All on hootchies.

This one was last week that my daughter landed. Nice hefty one!

Good work. Wait until Jan. 1 and you cannot fish south of the line due to a Chinook closure.

Some good action in the harbour this afternoon. Just running the one rod with cop car spoon and a glow moon jelly flasher in 92 - 130ft near the bottom.
First was small, next was a keeper but lost at the boat, another keeper landed, next two were small and a seal ran off with the last one. Was out for about 3 hours.

Was out today from 11-2 mostly by the bell, Mile markers and freighters. Lots of bait showing on the sounder......only fooled a couple really small ones today though.

First time poster in this area as I usually fish the sechelt and north areas more but today I was lucky enough to fish tunstall, hutt , grace, and camp byng with a couple good friends. Fishing was good at all spots with fish on spoons and hootchies everywhere. Better size fish at tunstall and grace but the seals were a problem at grace, as we had them pick off two. All in all a great day out there. All fish were caught dragging the bottom

Back