Smoking Thick Fillets

Franko Manini

Folks,

This year I was fortunate to get a nice big chinook about 28 lbs, which I filleted and froze for smoking. This weekend I will get to the smoking. My question is this... I have never smoked such thick fish. I always cut the fillets into strips that are 0.75" to 1.0" wide before I brine and generally I get a great result with a tried and true recipe and smoking process.

Generally, I do a 12-16 hour brine, then dry to form a pellicle, then cold smoke for 2 hours at 120F, followed by 2-3 hours in the smoker (no smoke) at 150F (or sometimes as high as 160F) to actually cook the meat and drive off a lot of the water.

I am a touch concerned that this year, a lot of my strips will be pretty darn thick, maybe as much as 2". Do I need to make any changes to my recipe or smoking process?

Thanks everyone!

Maybe leave them in the brine a little longer if they are thicker?
I just cut bigger fillets into 1/3 and 2/3 slabs, tail end on the 1/3 side. Then I cut my 3/4 strips out of the 2/3 (thicker) side. After that I just turn those strips 90 degrees and rip them again, sometimes even into thirds. The tail side I just cut as usual. And last I always organize my racks by thickness. If the "thick" rack isn't quite there I leave it in longer. Hope that makes sense, good luck!

What fishtank said if you're going to try to keep the pieces large. I've left fish in the brine (wet or dry brine) for 3 and 4 days with good results. (in the fridge of course) You want the brine to penetrate all the way through if possible.
Rain City's method is good too if you want smaller pieces. (strips, etc)

Yes leave in brine longer min 48 hours is what I do.
Also put at the top rack of smoker as heat rises and it will cook a bit faster up on top shelf.
the temp from bottom to top sometimes varies 30 degrees depending on humidity and coldness outside.
you may have to leave in for alot longer time as well mine usually takes about 8 hours with thicker chunks .

Good luck and post some pics everyone loves food ****.....

Found cutting into 1 1/4" x 3 1/2"-4" strips shortened the brine time and smoke time ,also with that size you get more surface smoked meat with every bite
as apposed to doing whole fillets and just the top is got that extra smoky brown/red meat , i still do both ways changing it up, these pieces were pretty thick to begin with and brined this size
for 24hrs with a bit of extra salt in the brine.
IMG_8230.JPG
IMG_8231.JPG

Last edited:
Yes leave in brine longer min 48 hours is what I do.
Also put at the top rack of smoker as heat rises and it will cook a bit faster up on top shelf.
the temp from bottom to top sometimes varies 30 degrees depending on humidity and coldness outside.
you may have to leave in for alot longer time as well mine usually takes about 8 hours with thicker chunks .

Good luck and post some pics everyone loves food ****.....
I’ve always put the larger pieces near the bottom, closer to the element (Big Chief). Tail pieces usually end up top. Hmm

Well next time drill a small hole and stick your hand held thermometer in there at shelf level and just check temps bet you will find a difference...

What temp are you guys smoking your fish at to get that nice colour??

I have the Big chief smoker and it runs at a constant 165 , summer months ill do the plug in and un plug intervals
to keep the cooking slower and not so hot to dry it out. @The Jackel

You can get a temp control switch of ebay for less that $20 that you can set up so you plug your little chief in and set the temp .
It will "unplug and plug back it" for you so to speak

You can get a temp control switch of ebay for less that $20 that you can set up so you plug your little chief in and set the temp .
You have a link for something like that?

I use the electric Big Chief's as well, and find the lower rack temp way exceeds the top rack, on a wireless digital thermometer I leave in there. Would be good to come up with a way to make good product when it's hot out.

fb

I don't have a link but if you go on eBay and do a search for temp controller it will
Be one of the first ones for $7-$10
Just need to wire it up with a plug and you're good to go

Thanks so much will definitely grab one, it's funny you just brought that up because i just started a full load of
salmon in the smoker and with these hot temps right now ill be plugging in and out a lot tonight to give a nice slow cook.

I'v smoked 30lb+ white springs, and what I do is once I filet a side I cut that filet in half lengthways and it works quit well.

Back