150 Outboard Repower

Calais 1900

Have a opti with 1700 hrs which was idling rough last spring, after troubleshooting I found a dropped cylinder. I ripped it a part this winter hoping for a quick rebuild on the cheap that would help it soldier on for a couple more years. However the more I look motor the more I think it's the time to bite the bullet and just buy a new outboard. I was looking for some pointers on getting the best deal on a new outboard and where I should look for a good sale. Im looking for 150 4 stroke... not to picky about the brand as I think most 150 are all equally reliable these days. Any advice would be awesome

If you're looking to buy locally to receive good support after the sale, stating where you live would be useful, e.g. Lower Mainland.

Yamaha...lots of them around. I've got a 4 stroke 150 and a 8hp high thrust kicker both fantastic...routine oil changes and I've done the impeller on both... Boat Show is coming good time to check out all the manufacturer's

A 150 Merc would be a low price option as it would hook right up to your controls and gauges

Chances are you could also transfer over the stainless prop. which would be a good savings and the hydraulic steering should hook right up. Installation costs should be less. Then sell the Opti as parts. There is is a fair bit of money sitting there, - computer, compressor/fuel pump, starter, lift system, alternator, injectors, leg and even some basic power head parts. Sometimes the cowling gets dropped overboard and they are over a thousand to replace. More money if you part it out yourself. Option two - find a lower hours used 150 Opti with a good operation history (downloaded off the computer) and keep the old one as a parts motor.

Last edited:
I would go with Merc 150s . Everything I've read says they are very powerful and easy to maintain. I've seen them listed around $ 12500 each. That's what I will throw on if I ever dump the i/o .

Thanks for input (Live in colwood btw)
Was really steering towards the merc, good hear some people are happy with it. Is it a good idea to wait till boat show season? Alpine selling 150 4 stroke for 13500 seems to be a good deal as every other brand seems to be much more expensive.
Yeah Rockfish I diffently going to be parting the engine. Been thinking about option 2 as well to be honest, however finding a decent 150 opti seems to be challenge.

Most things I have heard about buying at the boat show involve getting free extended warranty. I have not mucked around the O/B market much lately. Merc seems to be known for corrosion resistance (good) while Yamaha seems to be worse on this issue. I'd look at Suzuki. Also, depending on your boat, weight may be an issue as well as displacement.

Back in the 60's the saying was; "If you need to get there first, get a Merc. If you need to get back, get a Johnson".

By the time you have all the extra's it'll add up.Smart gauges,prop(stainless?),cable's,rigging etc..Merc has come a long way since the 60's as have other brand's.

that is a 20" shaft. that may explain the lower price
Yeah... alpine selling the 150 with a 25" shaft for 13000, so 500 more for the 25 seems about right; think I'm going to pull the trigger on that one. Spent some time researching it today and for the most part everyone who bought a merc 4 stroke seems really happy with it. Once again thanks for the input really appreciate it

Back