new mooching rod?

Fixit

ive got a set of shimano TRD 9'6" medium heavy medium fast rods that i like but they are getting old.

looking to upgrade to 10'6" with my new admunson reels but not sure of which rod to buy

ive got a convergence medium heavy, slow action but i feel it lacks enough backbone to pop the clip reliably (al least from what i can feel)

ill need 4 rods, so looking to spend less than 200$ea. Also i want a rod with a longer but grip- so the reel doesnt rub the scotty rod holders?
any recomendations guys?

thanks

Derby sold me some great downrigger rods with a nice butt that doesn’t get impacted like cork from being in the holder.
The brand name was Kufa. They don’t break

Last edited:
^This!^ I have seen many a good rod broken with people trying to get the line out of the clip. Even if there is a fish on the line but hasn’t released, just hit up and reel to keep up and things will work themselves out. If it is a good enough fish it will come loose of the clip on the way up. If it doesn't come loose it is most likely not worthy of keeping anyway.

Shimano Technium's are under $200, good rod, great actions, virtually indestructible, that's why many fishing guides use them. I have 3 and love them.

ive got a set of shimano TRD 9'6" medium heavy medium fast rods that i like but they are getting old.

looking to upgrade to 10'6" with my new admunson reels but not sure of which rod to buy

ive got a convergence medium heavy, slow action but i feel it lacks enough backbone to pop the clip reliably (al least from what i can feel)

ill need 4 rods, so looking to spend less than 200$ea. Also i want a rod with a longer but grip- so the reel doesnt rub the scotty rod holders?
any recomendations guys?

thanks

what model rod holder are u using?

why not match your tmx-5s with one of Amundsons team them up....

The first thing that you have to realize when you're buying a mooching rod is that it's a mooching rod not a down rigging rod. If you have a composite rod blow up on you it is more than likely a defect in the rod or the rod blank has been bruised. I'v got 2 mooching Technium's and never have had a problem, but then again I mooch with them.

what model rod holder are u using?
#350 rodmasterII
And your typical stainless 30 degree in gunnel rod holder

Usually it’s the stainless holder that I have problems with the reel touching the gunnel as the buts are shorter on a lot of the mooching rods

i like the techniums, could someone measure the butt section of their rod? The 8.5” butt on the convergence rods is too short for me

I noticed that daiwa has 10’6 downrigger rods anyone tried these?

Last edited:
i like the techniums, could someone measure the butt section of their rod? The 7.5” butt on the convergence rods is too short for me

I noticed that daiwa has 10’6 downrigger rods anyone tried these?
8 1/4 inches

This type of thread comes up on the board every so often.

Shimano Technium is the only way to fly under $200. the Rapala Moocher a good rod too.

Shimano Convergences are crap and with each passing generation they are made worse than the last generation. Legitimately they are a $50 rod. I know a local charter firm who blows these rods up often....doing things right.

Trophy Titans are good rods.
I have several years on a set of 8 Trophy Titans but in my opinion they are not as industrial as the Shimano Techniums. The action though is what I am sold on with the Titans.

From what I have seen among other brands.....stay away.

I take care of my stuff....so I have to say listen to the advice of those who know.

I was in Steveston Marine and Hardware just recently and I checked out what was there....lots of junk. I shop PNT frequently. Go with what the pros use. Use what the pros use.

Put a good 45 days on the Okuma Celilo this last season and this rod stood up very well.... and I now run a set of them with my shimano tech .. :)

Fenwick HMX 10'6" $129 at Berrys... great rod and better warranty...had the cork spin on one and they replaced it no questions asked and I didn't have the receipt

Back