Making Bacon

tinboatrobb

I am getting some pork bellies that I want to make bacon with. I am wondering if anyone here has done this at home in a Bradley puck fed smoker and or a big chief. Any info on smoking would be appreciated. I am getting a brine recipe from a butcher friend so I am good in that area. Thanks.

Been smoking bacon for well over 30 years. Few suggestions:
- brine for at least a week to ensure full flavour.
- rinse and air dry in fridge for a day.
- hickory smoke.
- smoker temp around 150-160 F
- look for internal temp of 150 F when done.
- vacuum pack portions.
- you will never eat a better tasting bacon.

I have the recipe from the head butcher for Red Barn market. I just want to know that others have done this at home in a non commercial smoker. IE: big chief or Bradley.

Been smoking bacon for well over 30 years. Few suggestions:
- brine for at least a week to ensure full flavour.
- rinse and air dry in fridge for a day.
- hickory smoke.
- smoker temp around 150-160 F
- look for internal temp of 150 F when done.
- vacuum pack portions.
- you will never eat a better tasting bacon.
All good tips. I cold smoke mine, apple wood, in a Bradley with the smoke generator removed and door propped half open with a special apparatus to cold smoke that does not create too much heat. 6-8 hours on the smoke. Back bacon ten days in the same rub. Use Demerara sugar and kosher salt for the rub. Have fun!!

I have the recipe from the head butcher for Red Barn market. I just want to know that others have done this at home in a non commercial smoker. IE: big chief or Bradley.

I have had really good success using Bradley "Maple Sugar Brine & Cure", whole pork loins, applewood pucks and Bradley Original smoker and hot smoking to Bradley's recommended temperature. It takes 7-10 days to brine and another 24 hours to cure after rinsing. Both stages (brine and cure) in the refrigerator. Friends and neighbours approve highly.

just cooked up some bacon from my first batch yum ..... wont be buying bacon again... used Guys recipe.... had to pull out another belly the first batch will be gone by tomorrow

Had some of Guy's bacon at the tuna shoot out this year...pretty dam good..also learned there is a special way of doing bacon that bring the best flavors out...

Last edited:
Looks great. I have trout to smoke monday then will move on to the pork. Will post smoked trout pics when done.

Back