Beach / Shore Casting Mexico

marbledmurrelet

Good morning all,

I am heading to the Pacific coast of Mexico, Sayulita area, and would like to pack a travel rod for some beach fishing. Last time I noticed a few people casting from rocks and the beach surf, they were catching something... We could see schools of Rooster fish or trevally or something of size close to shore (saw their "spiky" fins breaking the surface)...

Nothing fancy required, just for a few casts early am and evening (something to take the focus off the bar for an hour or so...lol)

I was looking at this link, and thought it looked alright

https://www.santiamfishingproducts.com/surfrods

...thoughts? Any input from your own experiences would be awesome!

Thanks,

MM

Hi marbel.. I head Mex yearly and do plenty shore casting and inshore fishin. I will tell u what I use but lots of other choices. With my setup can easily cast 100+ meters with most 2-5 oz lures. Rod: st.croix triumph surf Mod#TSRS100m4. 10' 4 pc setup. Reel: Penn FierceII 6000. Braid line. Roberts lures & Yo-zuri bull popper plugs. Catch about everything that swims down there.

That is my setup anyway..

PB

Never fished in Mexico but done lot of fishing from rocks and beaches in the U.K. in my younger days. In my view, they are two types of fishing entirely. From the rocks and points you are usually in deeper water and spin (lure) casting is possible. I would make sure the rod is not too short as it helps to lift the retrieved lure clear of rocks and weed at your feet and also control any decent fish you might hook. Spinning reels work well here.

Beach fishing usually involves casting bait as far into the surf as possible, which involves a heavy weight to hold bottom. Therefore your rod should be long and powerful to cast up to 10 oz. Your bait casting reel is really important here to avoid overruns, as is your casting technique!! However, you can use very large spinning reels as well but the spool must be well filled as 15-25lb line will empty quite quickly on the cast.

In summary, go longish and powerful and treat them as two different types of fishing.

I was at a resort a number of years ago not far from Sayulita and brought my 8 weight. Tangled with a few Sierra's but always got chewed off....bring heavy mono or wire for leaders. Fish the high tides especially but low's can produce too. Clousers were my most productive

Any restrictions on foreigners fishing in mexico? Is a licence needed? I watched guys (mostly locals, but thought I saw a gringo once) pulling quite a few fish in off the rocks in Zihuatenejo. I could see the fish in the clear waters off our sundeck.
It looked like they were using a silver plastic bait (4 or 5" long) that resembled a fish I assume and they would twitch it through the water... I don't think they were even using reels. Just a long pole and a line with the lure. They would just toss it out about 30 ' and bring it in... most of the fish were quite close to shore that I could see.

Last edited:
heading to los cabos in 3 weeks.. keep the info coming please!! panga time too!!

heading to los cabos in 3 weeks.. keep the info coming please!! panga time too!!

I didn't fish last trip but I will next time down probably Feb , where abouts are you staying ?
The main marina isn't far from the Main Street to old San Jose , just east , you can google it and map it out from there...

Be careful of overhead fans!! a few years back I returned from beach fishing on Kauai with my nice new sage 5wt and broke the top section off in the fan and spent the next two weeks trying to cast with the bottom three pieces. I am also going to Mexico in February and my plan is to take a nine wt? any tips on line type and flies. Old Blue I will take clousers and metal leaders.

I was in cabo 3 years ago and saw quite a few nice fish come into the harbour after their trips were done for the day. Wish I had gone out myself but never did. The price looked (or seemed) good for some decent boats... We were near the tip of cabo (on the beach) and you could see schools of good sized tuna every now and then flying through the air, I assume being chased by something I would think. Never saw anyone fishing from the beach there where we were though...

Last edited:
No need for a licence if fishing from shore.

Resorts may have restrictions re: fishing in front of their property even though like BC the beach is public to the high tide mark.

Thanks for the info!

I believe Dogbreath is correct, no license required if fishing from shore. I did hear a rumour that you must stay minimum 250m away from swimmers, which makes sense.

Do you think it is worth while bringing some big Croc, Kitimat or Koho spoons..? I will definitely look into Prairie Buoy's recommended lures too.

Tight lines!

MM

the last 2 days of our stay there in cabo there was a no swimming sign on the beach and a flag raised for all to see indicating dangerous fish in the waters.......
had thought that it may be cool to hook into whatever was lurking the last couple days..........

P
the last 2 days of our stay there in cabo there was a no swimming sign on the beach and a flag raised for all to see indicating dangerous fish in the waters.......
had thought that it may be cool to hook into whatever was lurking the last couple days..........
Pretty sure the flags were up due to big surf. Some unaware tourists were sucked off the beach by rogue waves

Heat neutralises Stingray venom that's why people **** on Stingray wounds.

Last edited:
No licence needed from the beach and if you got boat fishing mostbopwrators will set you up with a licence in the harbour before heading out.

Crocs and Kitimats are my go to when fishing from the beach, multiple colours. I make my own leaders from Downrigger cable, I crimp the ends with swivels and clips so I can change out my lures easy. The fish down here will burn through mono, even flouro. Any decent length rod with bail cast reel will do the trick, don't go out and drop a bundle on a surf fish package.

Braided line is a good way to go as you get a pile of it in the reel and I find it does cast further than mono.

I am not sure about the rules off the beach in front of the resorts in Cabo. If you ha e a rental, drive north up the pacific side, piles of untouched beaches to fish from.

You will want to be fishing before sun up from the beach, once the sun hits the beach and water, bite goes off.

Have fun!

Cheers

I purchased a penn battle II 8000 spinning combo for throwing poppers off the boat in mag bay
149 usd. Worked great for me

Back