Deer vs Volkswagon

spring fever

Never realized how quick it can happen and how big some of the Island bucks actually are!!! Last night about 8pm on the way from painters to Courtenay just past the CR airport a large buck jumped the concrete centre median and threw a totally illegal and uncalled for body slam on my poor volkswagon. Unbelievably we were not hurt and I was able to drive it slowly home. Whether the old Volks gets by the ICBC adjuster and gets to drive again is another matter. I'm hoping the deer survived-he did make it off the road and out of the ditch. fingers crossed.DSC01077.JPG

Wow, he really smoked you !
I had a buck cave in my passenger fender a couple years ago
I was stopped at an intersection he came bounding out of the bush
after a doe and shoulder checked me.

ouche.. my truck is going in after a deer decide to jump out of the ditch and land in front of my truck last year in Sooke...the deer didn't fair well...

I believe there's a wildlife fence both sides of the inland hiway and at a maximum speed 120kmph won't give you much time to respond to the obstickle in the road.I will go looking today for this buck around the debree you left behind.Where do I start looking?airport rd - newman creek?newman creek - airport main overpass?FC

I believe there's a wildlife fence both sides of the inland hiway and at a maximum speed 120kmph won't give you much time to respond to the obstickle in the road.I will go looking today for this buck around the debree you left behind.Where do I start looking?airport rd - newman creek?newman creek - airport main overpass?FC
Going towards Courtenay from CR just a bit beyond the CR airport inter-section. He was a 4 pt at least!!

I found the spot at the culvert north of newman creek an have swept away the pieces of your lady.I walked 4 k ,with others to find the buck.Armed for the beast we have these.DSCF2457.JPG

Happened to me 2 years ago. ICBC wants to know that the deer hit you, not the other way. I surfed many listings trying to find an average price in case of a write-off (which it was). I was ready to argue when she called. When she said they were going to send me a check for an amount which was well above what I was ready to argue for, I said , "That sounds fair," and hung up quickly.

Can't find one when you want one....... Saw a car in Vanderhoof with half the windshield on the front seat, they hit a moose.

yup the deer hit you, you did NOT hit him, icbc's first offer if written off is usually about 60% of what theyre actually willing to pay just sayin';)

No sign of the buck that was hit.Alder and maple leaves were falling like snow flakes.We took axes as it was a no shooting area.

No sign of the buck that was hit.Alder and maple leaves were falling like snow flakes.We took axes as it was a no shooting area.
I was hoping he might have survived as it was not a direct hit and most everywhere he seemed to hit was a soft crumple zone on the Vw.

destroyed the wifes honda prelude about 25 years ago at 5am on the highway between merrit and princeton. Came up over a rise and there were 5 or 6 deer in the middle of the road having a party. I managed to hit 3 of them. Had a young buck slam into the side of my small blazer in town about a km from where I live. He was trying to cross the road following his other buck buddy that had gone across a few moments earlier. He was stunned for a few moments but think he only got a good headache from that one but the side of the suv took some pretty good damage. Hit another one coming around a corner in Nova Scotia about 30 years ago, 2am, between truro and parrsboro. No real damage to the truck that I can remember. slit its throat with a broken beer bottle (no knife), brought it back to my (now) father in laws, reported it. hung it and wasn't much damage to the meat. tasted fine. Hard part was getting it into the back of the truck with my buddy that had a broken arm. wasn't much help at the time but we managed. been awhile since I've hit one so prob due... hope not. knock on wood.
Good to see you weren't hurt SF,

Last edited:
Back