Intellisteer

pescador

Ive been looking at auto pilots for a while now. I plan over the winter to deal once and for all with the problem of keeping things going in a staight line even in wind and rough seas. I fish the West Coast a few weeks a year and find there you need help steering when the weather is bad and you’ve got your hands full with pulling gear and landing fish. Here in Vancouver it will help when I’m fishing solo. Anyway, I’ve got a 225 hp Yam mated with a 8hp kicker. They are tied together with the SeaStar kicker cable bar hydraulic link system meaning they both turn all the time. While I looked at Tr1 and other autopilots, this Intellisteer seems to be a very good cheap alternative. I understand it’s not a compass driven nav system and it won’t track a specific compass direction. Anyone out there using it? Did you mate it to an autopilot or just use it as is. Would appreciate input and ideas on which models might fit my needs considering I have to steer both motors (means if maybe be I need a larger pump?).

Last edited:
If you are trolling on your kicker then in my opinion the TR1 is the only way to go.
I have been running one for almost 10 years and I would not fish without one.
My boat is a Kingfisher 28 with an 8hp Yamaha kicker.
Also I fish with a group of 5 boats in the 25' to 30' range and all run the TR1 as well.
Fish a day on a boat with a TR1 and you will agree.
The ability to hold a heading is critical when fishing solo or in my case when my wife is reading.
They are also amazing when holding in reverse drifting for bottom fish.

I just bought a boat with the TR1 and love it but I didn't know you could backtroll with it.I'll have to read up on it to figure out how.Pescador wants to turn both motors though which the Tr1 is not meant to do.I know why,in strong winds the kicker alone has a very hard time keeping the boat straight.In that situation I plan on leaving the 2 motors connected and steer from helm.

Well I’ll ask. Can TR1 turn your main and kicker? Or does the main need to be disconnected from your kicker? My specific requirement will be to turn both motors. Which might mean getting an autopilot system for my main which then would steer my kicker. I think I’m getting into $ 4K plus to install that versus Intellisteer’s cost which is well under half that. I want to find the best overall solution.

i have fished on a boat that the tr-1 did not do a good job at all, maybe it was set up but this guy has tried everything to get it too work right.

I can't see anything in my TR1 instructions that say's you can connect it to the main motor.I assume "Intellisteer " would be the same. The kicker reacts quickly to maintain course,I think connecting to the main would slow down reaction time and the hydraulic parts probably aren't built for that much load.Someone can correct me if I'm wrong,I'm very new to the TR1 system.I think you may have to part with more money to get the system you want.Mine works great in good weather though.

I can't see anything in my TR1 instructions that say's you can connect it to the main motor.I assume "Intellisteer " would be the same. The kicker reacts quickly to maintain course,I think connecting to the main would slow down reaction time and the hydraulic parts probably aren't built for that much load.Someone can correct me if I'm wrong,I'm very new to the TR1 system.I think you may have to part with more money to get the system you want.Mine works great in good weather though.
what steering do you have in your boat? rack, rotary, or hydraulic? it will only work with a rack if you want to turn both

Look at Com Nav pilots, they are the best and just like Scotty they are a local company...Vancouver. I've had the 1420 model for over 20 years and no problems. I have my main and kicker joined by a liquid Teleflex valve which allows me to have the main operate on its own or both motors together by just turning a valve....no rattly tie bar. It works with a traditional tie bar set up as well. It WILL keep a straight heading even in the worst conditions. For outboards you want the rudder follower to be the Teleflex smart stick which has no moving parts.

The tr1 steers the kicker only.
This has never been a problem for me.
To hold in reverse put the stern to the wind, press and hold the reverse lock button, press and release the auto button, release the reverse lock button. You must have the kicker in reverse first.

Look at Com Nav pilots, they are the best and just like Scotty they are a local company...Vancouver. I've had the 1420 model for over 20 years and no problems. I have my main and kicker joined by a liquid Teleflex valve which allows me to have the main operate on its own or both motors together by just turning a valve....no rattly tie bar. It works with a traditional tie bar set up as well. It WILL keep a straight heading even in the worst conditions. For outboards you want the rudder follower to be the Teleflex smart stick which has no moving parts.

So will COM Nav steer both the main and kicker simultaneously?

Pescador, yes...Com Nav offers many models with many features. All are designed to operate either main outboard and kicker together, I/O and kicker or inboard and kicker. They can also just operate the main if you don't have a kicker. They are a true auto pilot and are the indudsty standard in the commercial fleet. Just like Furuno is the radar of choice for those guys. The 1420 model is a basic model designed for smaller boats with either outboard or I/O applications. You can PM me if you want more info on what system components to look at.

Type H in my case. Plumbed into sea star hydraulics. Main and kicker are tied together with seastar cable tie bar. Both motors turn at same time.

I fish 90% solo and been using the intellesteer for over 5 years (the same one), mine goes directly to my 9.9 HT Yami and is not tied into another engine, no need to because I always click on the intellesteer and have no need for the large engine to ever be used to turn the kicker. Its fantastic for fishing solo because you can always keep your position on the fish, I dragged in my record 34lber last summer (see Rain got another jab in lol) solo and netted it, If I didnt have the intellesteer doubt it would have happened and oh ya GET THE REMOTE . I had the cable version and did not like it. The company is also great. Call Gary Notenboom if ya got any questions and he'll steer ya straight haha
If ya fish solo and wanna fairly cheap and solid unit ....Do It ! Good Luck
PS Mine is the Type R

correct me if I am wrong but intellisteer is not an AP... It's just a pump with a box that either connects to a wired or wireless controller to control your steering correct? If it's a few extra grand and you can afford it, I would not go with a remote steering solution... Go with a real AP if you can.. especially one that integrates with your chartplotter. While I think the TR1 does a great job on the kicker and does many corrections per second, the downside is that there are often times when having an AP that works from your main is a better option... for example, if you have a long run to and from the fishing grounds, you can plot your route and the AP will take you there... all you have to do is scan the horizon to ensure you dont hit something in the water or other boats.... Or when it's rough weather and the AP doesn't have enough thrust and power to control the boat, trolling on the main is much better...

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will not go back to being without an AP system once you use one..

I have an Intellisteer Type R on my kicker, independent of the main. It's great to have when I am fishing solo, but I find I am constantly adjusting the Intellisteer back and forth if the winds are up. Does anyone know of an Auto Pilot package that I could connect to the Intellisteer, to control the rotary motor to keep my heading? I thought there would be something out there but I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any repsonses.

Back