2017 Pender Bluffs

A word of advice to the guy dropping prawn traps at the busiest trolling spot on the Bluffs, you can count on your floats being cut off .

Settimg prawn traps in 300 feet of water with a strong current puts that line on a steep angle for starters. I was keeping a hundred yards away figuring I was safe until yo yo arrived. He proceeded to lift a trap then drifts at 5 knots in my direction , of course he caught all my gear. His wife and myself were yelling for him to stop but he ignored us both. After a while he finally shut his motor off then cut my lines and kept the gear and left. I know the boat and look forward to seeing him out in the water setting traps next year. And I lost a 20lb glow ball worth $80 bucks .

Settimg prawn traps in 300 feet of water with a strong current puts that line on a steep angle for starters. I was keeping a hundred yards away figuring I was safe until yo yo arrived. He proceeded to lift a trap then drifts at 5 knots in my direction , of course he caught all my gear. His wife and myself were yelling for him to stop but he ignored us both. After a while he finally shut his motor off then cut my lines and kept the gear and left. I know the boat and look forward to seeing him out in the water setting traps next year. And I lost a 20lb glow ball worth $80 bucks .

Did u get the phone number or name

Last time I was at the Bluffs was Tuesday 03 October and there was the trap, with Orange Buoy, near the big white poop mark, I saw him place the trap then he disappeared, he doesn't fish just puts his trap, I know he didn't stay because there were only 5 boats out. I am guessing it's the same guy as your Yo Yo, lol. Anyway I was going to post something myself so I wrote the name down marked on the Buoy, R. SPENCER unfortunately I didn't get the phone number or boat number.
My memory might be wrong but I can picture a cream or beige hulled boat with a diagonal or unusual brown/orange/red stripe, but might be mistaken about that.

Last time I was at the Bluffs was Tuesday 03 October and there was the trap, with Orange Buoy, near the big white poop mark, I saw him place the trap then he disappeared, he doesn't fish just puts his trap, I know he didn't stay because there were only 5 boats out. I am guessing it's the same guy as your Yo Yo, lol. Anyway I was going to post something myself so I wrote the name down marked on the Buoy, R. SPENCER unfortunately I didn't get the phone number or boat number.
My memory might be wrong but I can picture a cream or beige hulled boat with a diagonal or unusual brown/orange/red stripe, but might be mistaken about that.
This boat did not have a stripe, it's a 17 Double Eagle white hull. I started out being nice to the guy and was even willing to chalk the whole thing up to part of fishing. Then out came the knife and my gear either went in his boat or to the bottom. He had 4 traps white floats, I checked Thieves Bay Marina and the boat is not there. His wife was yelling at him and there was a younger couple on board that said nothing or tried to help. I tried to explain to him that he had just drifted 100 yards of more over my lines but he just ignored me and took off. Had his wife and younger couple not been on board things would have played out different I assure you.

This boat did not have a stripe, it's a 17 Double Eagle white hull. I started out being nice to the guy and was even willing to chalk the whole thing up to part of fishing. Then out came the knife and my gear either went in his boat or to the bottom. He had 4 traps white floats, I checked Thieves Bay Marina and the boat is not there. His wife was yelling at him and there was a younger couple on board that said nothing or tried to help. I tried to explain to him that he had just drifted 100 yards of more over my lines but he just ignored me and took off. Had his wife and younger couple not been on board things would have played out different I assure you.

White floats then not the same guy, but hey R.SPENCER with Orange Buoy, I hope you can read! Have some consideration, go put them somewhere else or it might become a bit expensive!

80 bucks..... your buying your balls from the wrong guy!

80 bucks..... your buying your balls from the wrong guy!

Why do u even care I’m sure he paid 50 bucks for the glow ball, 15 bucks for the rubber snubber, few bucks for the crimps, few bucks for the rubber shock stopper. It’s easly 80 bucks when you loose Ball,

add in a daisy chain there’s another 50 bucks, I’m sure he also lost a 12 dollar flasher and what ever 10 dollar lure.

Who cares over 20 bucks every one who takes part in this sport is pretty well off. That’s like what 10 mine of gas for boats out there.

U want to be with the poor people go hump a rod on a dirty invested river with black chinook.

Why do u even care I’m sure he paid 50 bucks for the glow ball, 15 bucks for the rubber snubber, few bucks for the crimps, few bucks for the rubber shock stopper. It’s easly 80 bucks when you loose Ball,

add in a daisy chain there’s another 50 bucks, I’m sure he also lost a 12 dollar flasher and what ever 10 dollar lure.

Who cares over 20 bucks every one who takes part in this sport is pretty well off. That’s like what 10 mine of gas for boats out there.

U want to be with the poor people go hump a rod on a dirty invested river with black chinook.

Few too many last night?

On another note. Has there been much coho action. I haven't been out for a week or so, but last time I was it was spotty. Wonder if they've gone through, not here yet, or not coming?

White floats then not the same guy, but hey R.SPENCER with Orange Buoy, I hope you can read! Have some consideration, go put them somewhere else or it might become a bit expensive!

Hi Nigels,

I know R.SPENCER, and he's a very well respected old timer who's fished these waters for decades. If you're going to call him out, you better know what you're talking about. Let me know your issue (here or in a private message) and I'll bring it up with him.

I respect R.SPENCER and I don't know you, so again, if your complaint is legit I'll let him know. He's generally too experienced to make a mistake, but mistakes happen to all of us.

I hope you're not complaining about 1 set of traps off sh*t rock in mid October, if so, get used to it. You'll only see more of them as the season progresses. It will occasionally get crowded with traps, and becomes a real mess when some yahoo drops his traps too close to others and blocks the trolling lane for a few hundred feet out.

Before you 'make it expensive' for someone please motor up to them, and let them know their mistake in a friendly way - it's way too easy for things to get out of hand if we don't.

Oh my goodness the drama on this site. Trolling around traps has never been an issue for me. Yet somehow some on this site feel that the odd trap at a trolling location during a low pressure time of year is an issue.

Furthermore to somehow blame someone pulling traps for getting hung up on your gear is ridiculous, they are the ones not under way, the onus is on you to avoid them not the other way around.

Hi Nigels,

I know R.SPENCER, and he's a very well respected old timer who's fished these waters for decades. If you're going to call him out, you better know what you're talking about. Let me know your issue (here or in a private message) and I'll bring it up with him.

I respect R.SPENCER and I don't know you, so again, if your complaint is legit I'll let him know. He's generally too experienced to make a mistake, but mistakes happen to all of us.

I hope you're not complaining about 1 set of traps off sh*t rock in mid October, if so, get used to it. You'll only see more of them as the season progresses. It will occasionally get crowded with traps, and becomes a real mess when some yahoo drops his traps too close to others and blocks the trolling lane for a few hundred feet out.

Before you 'make it expensive' for someone please motor up to them, and let them know their mistake in a friendly way - it's way too easy for things to get out of hand if we don't.

As I said earlier it was not this guy, I know the name but will not post it. I was told by another boater after it happened where the guy was from etc. The point is he drifted with the current over my lines as he was trying to pull or drop traps, I didn't troll too close to his traps.

Place your traps in a traffic areas at your own risk. I’ve seen time and time again boats tangle with them. In the process of untangling then they sometime drift out into deeper water. Where the traps sink or drift off.

I wouldn’t blam anyone for cutting a line that was wrapped in a prop. People should use a Lead line or a weight below the float.

I’ve tangled with a commercial trap at sandheads. Lucky while retrieve the ball i got it free and recovered all my gear. Not sure what I would have done.

Place your traps in a traffic areas at your own risk. I’ve seen time and time again boats tangle with them. In the process of untangling then they sometime drift out into deeper water. Where the traps sink or drift off.

I wouldn’t blam anyone for cutting a line that was wrapped in a prop. People should use a Lead line or a weight below the float.

I’ve tangled with a commercial trap at sandheads. Lucky while retrieve the ball i got it free and recovered all my gear. Not sure what I would have done.

Well if I was pulling a trap and drifted 500 yards over a guys lines I would apologise, try and retrieve his gear and return it to him. If he pushed it I would give him some cash or get his name and number. I wouldn't steal the gear, but thats just me I'm new to the Islands.

Back