RIP Gordie

Story told on Tom Power's show Q this morning. Outdoor festival show with the Hip headlining. The performer relating the story says he was looking at the fencing surrounding the Hip's trailer when a passerby stated that fencing would be down 10 minutes after the Hip arrived. Sure enough the band arrived and they started to take down the fencing. Gordie wasn't about barriers between people, he was about removing them.

Badly paraphrased, I'm sure the show is podcast on CBC. Gord Downie was among the best of us.

I'll be the first to say I got tired of their music as years ago it was so overplayed but always respected him and the band. It's funny to see what happens to one when someone is gone....have had full appreciation for the music I've been hearing all day today. Have a bunch of their music on my iPod and have loaded more on today. I think every Canadian, myself included has at least one Hip song that reminds them of a specific time/event in their life.

RIP Mr Downie....you were one of a kind who really encapsulates what we all hold in privilege, and that is being Canadian.

I know he fished with Gary Cooper a few years back when he was in Victoria for a show. I don't think Gary knew much about the band at the time. I did wish he had of ended up in my boat for sure. Would have been interesting conversation.

There was always a Hip tape, Cd then playlist on every boat I've ever had. When things were slow or the day got long on would go theHip and up would go the volume. Spirits were instantly lifted and more often then not a fish or two would happen. RIP Gordie I know what it's like living in a terminal situation and you did it right..............BRS

I've always loved their music and had bought a few of their tapes in the past. After not have listened to it for awhile it sure brought back memories listening to it this last week. Great music and I have to make an effort to get it on the music playlist we listen to on the boat as well... Would be great music for listening on the boat for sure.

Watched that "Long Time Running " last night, was very powerful

Watched that "Long Time Running " last night, was very powerful
Agreed...It was very good, was interesting to see the band so young. I saw them in ‘89 or ‘90 at the Commodore and I don’t remember them looking the way they did in the special.
For some reason they seemed more...refined.
Funny what respect does for your perspective

Agreed...It was very good, was interesting to see the band so young. I saw them in ‘89 or ‘90 at the Commodore and I don’t remember them looking the way they did in the special.
For some reason they seemed more...refined.
Funny what respect does for your perspective
Pretty sure i was there at the Commodore too back then.

Listened to the special on the FOX on Saturday evening driving up to the wet coast in the storm. Great program with lots of music trivia in regards to Gordie and the band.
It definitely made the drive more enjoyable and I learned quite a bit.

Back