1st trip to... SQUAMISH RIVER and need help.

Gilbs

HI,
I live in Quebec and I am going fishing the famous Squamish River in the Squamish area in November for the first time. I will be staying at Sunwolf.
I am an avid trout fisherman here... But I need help organizing my Chum Salmon trip.
I bought my license. I bring two 9 feet 8wt rods, 2 reels, my waders, my boots and a lot of warm clothing.

Do you have any advice/recommandation about the fish, the regulations, the techniques, the flies, floating or sinking, fish locations, tides, fishing spots, fly shops, restaurants, bars... anything that would help me catch fish and enjoy myself.

Thank you.
GILBS

If you need informations about fishing here in Quebec, I will be more than happy to help you.

Get on the mailing list for Pacific Angler's friday fishing reports. They will have you sorted.

OK you're a little late but there should be some Chum Salmon in the river and you can often see the fish you're casting to right at your feet-don't go wading far out into water that holds fish close.

I actually like the Cheakamus better than the mainstem Squamish but you'll be hitting all the spots.

What works for Chums is a simple yarn tie as shown any Cerise/Pink combo or sometime Chartreuse drifted just off the bottom.Note I'm not a flyfisherman so really have no idea what they use but anything the size of your thumbnail should do it smaller if the water is clearer-the rigs as shown have worked for 25+ years no need for anything fancy.

20170928_120217[1].jpg

There are some Char in the river as well fish something flashy in fast water, Coho are few and far between I no longer target them.

One good walk is to park at the second (Bailey) bridge on the Cheakamus and walk down along the railroad track you'll see where to stop & cast-Do Not Trespass on the Outdoor School posted land.

The Squamish has so many spots to fish it's foolish start near Judd Road good parking there.

One thing about this river once the sun comes over the hills and hits the water in the AM the bite goes off like a light switch-it'll come on later but never as good be sure to be on the water at first light.

Follow this link to a bunch of random pics I took one AM when the fishing was good.

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/A_Fisher/library/Squamish River 09?sort=2&page=1

Be Very Careful wading around the Squamish there's what locals call quicksand in places not much fun to fall into.

There's a good cafe right @ Sunwolf, another further down on the Squamish river http://thewatershedgrill.com/

In town I like the Sunflower http://www.sunflowerbakerycafe.com/ and one of BC's Best Japanese restaurants is to be found in a nearby strip mall http://www.sushisensquamish.com/

There is a fly shop in Squamish but the proprietor is neither reliable nor honest ditto the creeps that guide for him I urge you to avoid the place.

HI,
I live in Quebec and I am going fishing the famous Squamish River in the Squamish area in November for the first time. I will be staying at Sunwolf.
I am an avid trout fisherman here... But I need help organizing my Chum Salmon trip.
I bought my license. I bring two 9 feet 8wt rods, 2 reels, my waders, my boots and a lot of warm clothing.

Do you have any advice/recommandation about the fish, the regulations, the techniques, the flies, floating or sinking, fish locations, tides, fishing spots, fly shops, restaurants, bars... anything that would help me catch fish and enjoy myself.

Thank you.
GILBS

If you need informations about fishing here in Quebec, I will be more than happy to help you.

For fly selection a yellow "rolled muddler" or Thunder Creek pattern are good choices. Chum will often attack these flies very aggressively, they are said to represent small cutthroat trout that feed on the eggs and fry. Dressing is sparse.Yellow also provides high visibility. Usually dyed mallard breast.

Same thing goes for sculpin imitations, of which there are a number. Dark olive, mottled is a good colour for sculpin imitations in the lower mainland. Dan Gapen's Muddler Minnow is the most well known.

You will need a good fast sinking line with a short leader to get your offering down. The classic wet fly swing is the usual presentation method. If you find fish holding directly downstream of you, you can actually dangle the fly in front of the fish for thirty seconds or more and trigger a strike. Ideally you want to fish seams, If there is a point of land or a gravel bar you may be able to position yourself directly upstream from fish holding position. This technique works best for me and results in very few foul hooked fish.

Speaking of foul hooking, you have to be prepared for this when and if it happens and get the fish unhooked and released with as little damage as possible. They tend to school up which increases the odds of this happening.

The Squamish is a powerful river and wading should be done with caution.

Bonne chance!

Back