2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Thanks Scouse ,Ryan A pm'd that rob from pnt would be the guy to talk to about those plugs .
I bought mine from PNT in Errington It's been a good plug for me.

Had good luck tonite, landed a 19&20 both down deep, 230'&220' on the rigger in around 260' off the big hump. One on a 6" 2ii tubby plug and the other on a 5" 2ii. View attachment 35246 Released one undersize and a few dogs in the mix as well. Got both between 5&7pm. Great night.
What do you have on the front of your plugs Ryan? It loos like a bead chain and a piece of plastic straw.

Looks to me like that's the plastic straw to keep the line and the bead chain is from the front of the leader. It's not right off the rod after he caught the fish if that's what you're thinking.

Oly

Looks to me like that's the plastic straw to keep the line and the bead chain is from the front of the leader. It's not right off the rod after he caught the fish if that's what you're thinking.

Oly
Now I see it. Thanks Oly

You rap your line around your finger and stick it threw a chunk of straw to keep it from tanging when your not using it.

I have a small boat and everything has to be easy to store and to use. The straw system worked for me until I discovered that the hook cut my leader (as seen in the spoon on the left ). I now use tape to hold everything together. My tackle box is well organized without any tangles. I fold the tape over on it self to make it easy to remove it. The leader is way easier to unroll as it does not have any sharp turns formed from the straw insert. I will keep using this system untill someone shows me a better way. Any ideas? IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0475.JPG

I have a small boat and everything has to be easy to store and to use. The straw system worked for me until I discovered that the hook cut my leader (as seen in the spoon on the left ). I now use tape to hold everything together. My tackle box is well organized without any tangles. I fold the tape over on it self to make it easy to remove it. The leader is way easier to unroll as it does not have any sharp turns formed from the straw insert. I will keep using this system untill someone shows me a better way. Any ideas? View attachment 35554 View attachment 35555

I personally wouldn't do this. A lot of dissimilar plastics will react with each other and start to break down. Last thing you want is your line being weakened or compromised by the chemicals in the tape and the tape adhesives. this is especially true with hootchies and gum puck inserts. they shouldn't be left together for long periods of time. I had a bunch of pre-tied gear in a clear flat tackle box that i store my hootchies in. it turned into a big sticky mess with a terrible off-gassing odor which affected all the hootchies. i tried washing them to no avail. tossed the whole lot. no fish is gonna take those. I personally wrap my leaders around three of my fingers starting at the hootchie end. the last few inches i wrap around the coils created by my fingers. loosely, with no kinks or line memory.

I personally wouldn't do this. A lot of dissimilar plastics will react with each other and start to break down. Last thing you want is your line being weakened or compromised by the chemicals in the tape and the tape adhesives. this is especially true with hootchies and gum puck inserts. they shouldn't be left together for long periods of time. I had a bunch of pre-tied gear in a clear flat tackle box that i store my hootchies in. it turned into a big sticky mess with a terrible off-gassing odor which affected all the hootchies. i tried washing them to no avail. tossed the whole lot. no fish is gonna take those. I personally wrap my leaders around three of my fingers starting at the hootchie end. the last few inches i wrap around the coils created by my fingers. loosely, with no kinks or line memory.
Interesting. I had a hoochie react with some plastic in the same way.

I have a small boat and everything has to be easy to store and to use. The straw system worked for me until I discovered that the hook cut my leader (as seen in the spoon on the left ). I now use tape to hold everything together. My tackle box is well organized without any tangles. I fold the tape over on it self to make it easy to remove it. The leader is way easier to unroll as it does not have any sharp turns formed from the straw insert. I will keep using this system untill someone shows me a better way. Any ideas? View attachment 35554 View attachment 35555
Don't put the hook in the straw. Let it dangle.

I personally wrap my leaders around three of my fingers starting at the hootchie end. the last few inches i wrap around the coils created by my fingers. loosely, with no kinks or line memory.

That's what I do as well. I tried the straw method but it kinked the line. No kinks in this method.

Went out to pull the prawn traps and the line broke ahead of the first trap so traps gone but I still have my line. Bushy and I decided to go to Ballenas for a quick troll and watch the sunset and we were rewarded on our first pass. We both had on green spatter back and Bushy hit the first one a nice 12 liber in the boat. I had three small coho I released then I got a nice ten pounder. Beautiful night and the full moon over the lighthouse at Ballenas was awesome............BRSimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg Hey Lordofthesprings, I am usually prawning solo and that method is too much work. If I fish four traps I like to put them in different spots to increase the chances. Went out again last night with Bushy and two more fish. Bushy landed a very scrappy 17 lb then I got another ten pounder. We got hit with a NW at probably 25 knots and had to boot it in it was a rough ride back in from Ballenas. Both were silver and red, a seal hit mine half way in and left some teeth marks. Four fish last two times out all on hootchies , don't think I've ever seen fishing like this October. Might have fresh salmon instead of turkey...................BRS

image.jpeg Managed to get out for a couple hours yesterday afternoon with Bushy. Lost a nice one after about a minute, then landed and gently released a bunch of small ones. On the last pass Bushy hooked in to a nice one and when it was 20ft from the boat my side hit. I set the hook then put it in the rod holder and backed off the drag. I netted Bushys fish then grabbed my rod and the fish was still on. Bushy quickly cleared his fish from the net then netted my fish. Bit of a gong show but both fish in the boat just in time to make it back in before dark. One side hootchy, one side spoon at different depths and still a double header. They were both full of 3-4 inch herring and both red. That's 6 fish last three times out not bad for October...................BRS

Got out front on Monday and fished all day but things sure were slow. Lots of big bait balls in the water and the water was covered in seagulls every where you looked. For a while had some pesky sea lions follow the boat but they were as disappointed as we were lol. Managed to pick up two under size chinooks one 12” and one 19” that we released. so at least we didn’t get skunked. Tried every combo I could think of for winters but the winner was the 4” tomic 500. Snagged a couple nice crab too for the end of the day. Slow crabbing too. 2 legal dunggies and one rock crab. But all in all a successful day calm water and was out fishing.

Back