2017 Port Renfrew Reports

Very little coho action today. A few small ones around 5-6#, tons of shakers but where are the coho slabs? Great water today and lots of boats but we didn't see a net out all day. Switched to jigging for the junior and had fun with black rock fish and some nice lings. Turns out there are still springs around and they like jigs too; got a 17# red and the captain lost another one after a few seconds. Who needs cohos - that was loads of fun!

Very little coho action today. A few small ones around 5-6#, tons of shakers but where are the coho slabs? Great water today and lots of boats but we didn't see a net out all day. Switched to jigging for the junior and had fun with black rock fish and some nice lings. Turns out there are still springs around and they like jigs too; got a 17# red and the captain lost another one after a few seconds. Who needs cohos - that was loads of fun!

That must have gone over well for the captain!

Camped sat night and hit the beach in the dingy trolling and casting a blue fox in the rain. Fish were having a good time.
Played a couple, keeping one #14. Reminded how fun northerns are :)

Saw a bunch of tuna at the table, and the outfitters crew who had gotten into some nice sept slabs

Yep as others have said that is a bonito tuna. See this thread and links.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-it.66501/#post-832795

They are similar but I don't think this fish in question here is the same as the a bonito caught in Sooke. The pectoral fins in this specimen are longer than what seems typical of a bonito and are more akin to jack mackeral. Also, the tail of a jack mackeral is brown, similar to this fish and unlike the bonito. Hard to tell for sure from just a few pictures but my vote remains jack mackerel. There was some discussion in another thread on some fish caught out at swiftsure and the angler who caught the fish landed on it being a jack mackerel.

Headed out for one last kick at the can October 6-8th. Never fished Renfrew but my crew and I are hopeful there will be some coho still around.

Headed out for one last kick at the can October 6-8th. Never fished Renfrew but my crew and I are hopeful there will be some coho still around.
There should be. Bring some motion sickness pills for your crew.
T2

Drop the lines at the bouy at the mouth of the inlet and head out till you find them

Nice fish, and I hear yellowtail are good eating. Take away the colour and both these fish look very similar, too difficult to distinguish from the pictures. Jack mackerel and yellow tail are both in the Carangidae family. Maybe the fish in question is a juvenile yellowtail and not a jack mackerel? Either way I'd eat it.

Back