2017 Port Renfrew Reports

Just got back from the derby weekend. The weather was absolutely unbelievable for the 4 days we were there. Fishing was fairly slow but there were a few around if you really worked for them. We boxed a 35 on thursday evening after arriving and heading out for a night bite, which would end up being our biggest fish of the weekend. Friday we released a teener and farmed a few more. Saturday we boxed 2 small ones, and Sunday we lucked into a 20lb spring as well as a teener chum that we released. We were fishing anchovy+flasher for all 3 lines pretty much all weekend. A few guys were having some luck with skinny g spoons and other small imitations. Winning fish for the derby was 27lbs, so I guess we peaked a bit early. Oh well, had a great time as usual. Ill be back out there for the coho derby if the weather is decent. Hope everybody else had as much fun as we did! :)

today sucked as well the only nice fish i saw caught at east point was by the sea lion we only caught 2 small springs and had to go 120' down to find them

Am I correct that the bay is now open for coho below the bridge in Renfrew? Thanks. If so, and fish in the bay yet?

Buddy was up for a drive yesterday, ashat snaggers running all over the place at the bridge, they should just close the river mouth, disgusting

Buddy was up for a drive yesterday, ashat snaggers running all over the place at the bridge, they should just close the river mouth, disgusting

Yep, I was up on Sunday. A massive camping group of camo dudes with brand new spinning gear flossing fish. Or trying too, out of 25+ rod's, said they had 6 all weekend.

You really want to be sick go spend a day at the Nitinat its pathetic.
Ya i know all about what goes on there, expertfisher yes you can chuck spoons but once they are sniffing the fresh water they do not bite too much, you can try a worm with floss too, i am not saying you can't catch them but the snaggers are a disgrace

I agree snagging is totally wrong. Can a guy cast off the beach and pick them up on small buzz bombs or zingers as I've caught coho at the mouth of the Capilano in north van and they hit hard.

You have to cast a Buzz bomb or zinger then jerk it back to effectively work it. Chances are your going to snag one in the back. I,ve fished there for years and have never caught one there in the bay or estuary. As Jackel says they just don't bite there were other river mouths they do.. I will fish for them up river in a few weeks when there's some sky water and the temps drop then its game on.. It's the same crowd there year in year out. No one does jack about it !!

Blue fox sprinner in chartreuse, or green will work. They are a fish of 100 + casts at that stage though as you have to **** them off.IMG_3235.JPG

Ya i know all about what goes on there, expertfisher yes you can chuck spoons but once they are sniffing the fresh water they do not bite too much, you can try a worm with floss too, i am not saying you can't catch them but the snaggers are a disgrace
Actually I have had one of my best fishing days there spincasting from a boat. We were casting Coho and Ironhead spoons for them and I caught my biggest Coho ever 22lbs!
The trick is that even if the bay is loaded with fish they are not willing biters as they are staging but sometime throughout the day they will turn on.
You just have to be patient!

I have been to lots of fish meeting they table it every year ,they keep it open for people who do not have a boat and give them a very good chance of catching a fish,I know the jigger come and go there every day ,it is just bad for the people who fish by the rules ,

If 25 rods over an entire weekend only snag 6 fish I'd say this is insignificant in terms of impacts to the stocks. Let them have it. In no way do I condone unethical fishing practices but it appears that there are much bigger fish to fry out there that have a much higher potential to cause harm to entire runs. Let's focus our anger on these.

I have been to lots of fish meeting they table it every year ,they keep it open for people who do not have a boat and give them a very good chance of catching a fish,I know the jigger come and go there every day ,it is just bad for the people who fish by the rules ,

I am one of those guys who can't afford a boat and I just love hiking and fishing rivers. There is a deep dark spot inmy heart that I bury my feeling of rage when I encounter the snaggers otherwise I would loose my mind and likely get my butt kicked.

That being said I was out early this week rubbing elbows with snaggers and out fished them 3 to 1 feels good man when you let a silver coho go beside guys who are retaining snagged springs that are starting to look like boots. The fish will bite at times Hopefully we get some good rain to get these fish where they need to be!

DFO already knows !! It's not a secret… You choose to rip and jerk or just a lite retrieve and wait for a bite. A lot of those guys rip and jerk and get them in the back. Might try my luck this weekend see if i can find a dumb one to bite. lol

Back