Winter Fixes & upgrades

Aridhol

I tried to resurrect an old thread for offseason upgrades but it seems to have been lost in the forum move so I'm starting a new one.

Summer is still here but Winter is coming :).

What upgrades & fixes are you folks going to be doing? What would you recommend everyone do or get?

My upgrade/Fix list:
  • Pressure wash deck & thoroughly vacuum
  • Properly clean canvas and windows
  • Add an anchor roller (and purchase hali anchor setup)
  • Purchase & install raw water washdown system (what kind material for the through hole fitting on an aluminum boat?)
  • Get bow rails fabricated and welded in
  • Put name and logo on boat
  • Install fuel flow meter & better gas gauge (looking for recommendations)
  • Install fuel/water separator
  • Design / fab removable fish cleaning table to fit near the splash well
  • Suzuki Troll mode install
  • 4 blade aluminum prop
  • New trailer jack
  • Winterize

I think that's it for this winter, shouldn't be too much trouble haha :)

So, what are you going to be doing to your rigs?

Rewire the stern of the boat with ignition proof equipment so its safer and to code. Probably add 120V to power the knife and hook sharper

What size inverter do you need for that? I have a tiny 300W which seems to work well but I just run music/radio and chargers.

Rewire the stern of the boat with ignition proof equipment so its safer and to code. Probably add 120V to power the knife and hook sharper

I would like to do the same but don't know exactly where to start. Care to educate me ( and others). I have a Double Eagle that needs a TOTAL rewire job.

Oly

I tried to resurrect an old thread for offseason upgrades but it seems to have been lost in the forum move so I'm starting a new one.

What upgrades & fixes are you folks going to be doing? What would you recommend everyone do or get?

My upgrade/Fix list:
  • Purchase & install raw water washdown system (what kind material for the through hole fitting on an aluminum boat?)
  • 4 blade aluminum prop
  • New trailer jack
  • Winterize

First of all, I had some Al work done by E and D Manufacturing. They were awesome when I needed my fuel tank resealed and a convenient removable deck put it. While they were working on it, the cut and welded in a complete thru hull. I went to Harbour Ch, picked up the necessary hardware and installed a wash down. Very impressed with their work.

For my boat, I am going to finish my rewiring (took it completely out and run a whole slew of fresh tinned wire of correct gauge. I still need to run fresh wire to our stern light. It is hidden in a channel and won't budge in either direction. While I am at it, I plan to add either 1 LED light to the back deck or 2 on each side (can't decide which configuration would be best.

I would also like to do a carbon fibre wrap inside

New pull cord and carb rebuild ,25 hp 84 merc .Started with pull cord that was 3 years old breaking ,replaced the cord and started cleaning fir needles and grit that had collected in fluid film and carb drippings,and finnaly decidding to take the carb off .With the help of power tune ,carb cleaner,I started to dismantle the carb for rebuild.Disconecting fuel line from carb there is a filter screen and that sceeen had metal shavings and a large mosquito on the outer side toward the second filter bowl .How did the mosquito get past two filters and end up on the filter at the carb?I had done the carb rebuild 3 years ago with the pull cord .Cold starts 1st pull ,low idle, no prime every time.

My upgrade/Fix list:
  • 4 blade aluminum prop
  • New trailer jack
  • Winterize

For a wash down pickup on a alloy hull the best thing is to have a threaded aluminum pipe nipple welded in if aluminum gauge is sufficient and then use a Marelon seacock. Next best thing is to use one of the Marelon pickup fitting/valve combos. Use 5200 sealant and screw together through hole drilled in hull. See attached pic. Any other way or material is sketchy and could make boat vunerable
to sinking due to through hull failure.

s IMG_3171.JPG

My plans this winter are to re wire the boat 97' trophy, take out old outboard wiring, build new dash out of carbon fibre, if I can find a piece cheap enough with rocker switches

My plans this winter are to re wire the boat 97' trophy, take out old outboard wiring, build new dash out of carbon fibre, if I can find a piece cheap enough with rocker switches
i'd love to see a pic of the dash, i've been pondering the same dash project but may just overlay the existing with carbon panels.

Curious to hear if anyone has a suggestion for a shop who could re and re the windshield frame made by Taylormade on our Hourston. Between the dissimilar metals the finish is literally peeling in pieces. I made an attempt to contact the builder directly but they appear to be winding things down, I have made contact with another shop but I would be open to suggestions. One thought was to simply contact Taylormade and order a new frame but they were not a lot of help so perhaps this can be removed, refinished and installed locally? Cheers.

My list of winter projects for the ol' gal:
- install a fuel tank in the bow to help balance out the heavier motor I put on last winter. Now I won't have to lift the tanks out of the boat at the gas station!
- Patch up the holes in the gunwales from all the rod holders / cup holders / old Fishfinder I removed over the last few years (Seriously. When I bought, it had 6 Scotty Sidewinder holders! Now it only has three holders and a LOT of holes.)
- Cosmetic clean up of the hull and outer - painting, patching etc...
- New gauges
- Maybe a new trailer?

Last edited:
Now I won't have to lift the tanks out of the boat at the gas station!

Is that a rule/bylaw?
I never do that, but I only gas up at a few places and they don't seem to mind.

Someone painted my gelcoat, now it's peeling. I might try to take it back to original, but I have a number of repair spots that will still require perfect gelcoat matching, which is tricky on a 40 year old boat.
Anyone ever tried a carbon fiber type vinyl application to cover the whole outer topside mess?
I need a new rubrail, too.

Is that a rule/bylaw?
I never do that, but I only gas up at a few places and they don't seem to mind.
I tried it a couple of times where I fill and was to remove the tanks. I can't find any rules around it, but the risk is a static buildup / shock and resulting fireball... so I'm ok shuffling tanks around to avoid all that. But it would be much easier sticking the pump into a hole.

Has anyone got a multifunction display setup where it's all digital gauges?

This is the latest Eaglecraft. Volvo D6-400 w/ Garmin electronics as the gauge pack. Photo is from their website for their 2017 33 Cruiser in the for sale section there.

DSC_7618.jpg

Here is a link to applicable ABYC standards:

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/abyc.site...gr/assets/pdfs/Where_Standards_Apply_Boat.pdf

Not sure if this is applicable in Canada.

As far as I know you would need a new engine to gain a digital multifunction display, or at least an engine that communicate via CANBUS. The above picture is for a $40K US engine-only; controls/displays are additional $K's. I would imagine $60K US would get you close. How many would you like?

O/B would be cheaper; $20K for the motor then another $20K for controls/displays.

Best would be to get a new boat with twin Yammies & Yamaha Helm Master. Engines are computer steered so they can point in different directions. Computer shift/throttle. Joystick control. Front/back/sideways/twist to turn in a circle. Keeps your boat in a fixed position via a Garmin A/P instead of Anchoring for Hali. Helm Master cannot be retrofitted.

The new project has been a slow go with my daughter arriving 6 months ago but slowly this fishing machine is coming together. Excuse the dirty hull i cleaned it this weekend lol. Got my downrigger bases mounted up with spacers i made and some beefy backing. Spliced my transducer cable with advice from tidal chaos. Got some overhead LED deck lights mounted and a whole pile of other stuff that I'm excluding from this post.

Attachments

• 20170924_170933.jpg
    20170924_170933.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170924_171158.jpg
    20170924_171158.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170924_171323.jpg
    20170924_171323.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170924_171755.jpg
    20170924_171755.jpg