Got out Sunday 9am to 11am, favourite spot straight out front at the drop off. Had two strikes right away and then nothing for about an hour. Switched out an army truck for anchovy, and then thinks started happening. Had lots of strikes, and got about 4 close to the boat before they shook the hook :oops:. At one point had a double header which is always exciting. Landed two good size pinks, one on white hootchie and the other on anchovy. Pink seem bigger in size this year than two years ago?

On another note, looks like some A-hole stole my crab pot out of the basin sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning. Effing jerk! :mad:. Searched all over, nowhere to be seen, except for someone else had set a bunch right where I had put mine. Shortly after, I noticed a boat slowly cruise past, and shortly after that my float was back! However when I went to get it, it was only the float, line and snap hook. No trap. Now it happens I recognize this boat as a local. I don't have hard proof, but the timing was pretty obvious, so really disappointed that we have such types around.

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful day out on the water today, eclipsed only by….well the eclipse I suppose!! LOL:)

Interesting watching it out on the water. :cool: As it began, it got noticeably chillier as the solar radiation dropped. In addition, the fog bank which had retracted back to the US coast by 9:30am began to grow towards us again, showing solar radiation intensity is important in lifting that fog. I was glad when things got back to normal!

Anyway, the eclipse had a negative effect on the fishing at the Trap. No fish for us and I did not see any caught.:(

When the eclipse ended we went out for pinks in 500’ of water and landed three out of 5 on the line and missed about 3 hits.

Nice day though, with an event never to be repeated here in my lifetime…..:cool::)

Well another year over. Once again Sooke produced decent fish for us, nothing big this year 24 being our biggest and a rather small average this year but all in all a decent year. As usual the fish didn't come easy and we had to work for them but that's just Sooke. We ended up with our quota for 4 adults on Chinook and quite a few Pinks, we didn't get any clipped Coho this year which was disappointing but in the end we have all we wanted and need. In all over a period of 8 days fishing and all days we shut in down by 11:30 only 2 days we fished until 2:00 we landed 18 decent springs to our boat and oodles of Pinks and about a half dozen wild Hoes.

So until next year, thanks all for sharing the water with us, to those charter boys that allowed us into your tacks thank you, we tried our best to stay away from the huge packs and fish the fringe areas and allow the boys to earn their living, sometimes we had to squeeze in so I hope we allowed you the room you needed, I do know you were all very gracious to us and allowing us room to fight our fish so thx for that.

Until next year everyone take care out there, be safe, be patient with each other, take only what you need send the rest back, and see you all next year. Most of all enjoy yourselves while we still can.

Absolutely beautiful day out on the water today, eclipsed only by….well the eclipse I suppose!! LOL:)

Interesting watching it out on the water. :cool: As it began, it got noticeably chillier as the solar radiation dropped. In addition, the fog bank which had retracted back to the US coast by 9:30am began to grow towards us again, showing solar radiation intensity is important in lifting that fog. I was glad when things got back to normal!

Anyway, the eclipse had a negative effect on the fishing at the Trap. No fish for us and I did not see any caught.:(

When the eclipse ended we went out for pinks in 500’ of water and landed three out of 5 on the line and missed about 3 hits.

Nice day though, with an event never to be repeated here in my lifetime…..:cool::)
No affect on the bite at my hole today Roland , kept 2 released 3

The fish around me must have been blinded by the eclipse...went 3 for 10. Was 0 for 5 until we finally landed the 2nd of a double. Seen lots of fish hooked up and lots lost except for a couple of boats who must be using magic hooks as these same guys day in and day out never loose a fish.

Well another year over. Once again Sooke produced decent fish for us, nothing big this year 24 being our biggest and a rather small average this year but all in all a decent year. As usual the fish didn't come easy and we had to work for them but that's just Sooke. We ended up with our quota for 4 adults on Chinook and quite a few Pinks, we didn't get any clipped Coho this year which was disappointing but in the end we have all we wanted and need. In all over a period of 8 days fishing and all days we shut in down by 11:30 only 2 days we fished until 2:00 we landed 18 decent springs to our boat and oodles of Pinks and about a half dozen wild Hoes.

So until next year, thanks all for sharing the water with us, to those charter boys that allowed us into your tacks thank you, we tried our best to stay away from the huge packs and fish the fringe areas and allow the boys to earn their living, sometimes we had to squeeze in so I hope we allowed you the room you needed, I do know you were all very gracious to us and allowing us room to fight our fish so thx for that.

Until next year everyone take care out there, be safe, be patient with each other, take only what you need send the rest back, and see you all next year. Most of all enjoy yourselves while we still can.

Great trip! If you landed 18, that means you only released two Springs and kept 16 for your 'quota', that's pretty decent for any fishing trip.

IMG_1291.JPG Worked till noon then lines in Becher Bay by 2:15. We trolled out to the Head but the flood was in full flow so we ran to the trap. We had nothing until the flood started to ease off then we got 4 springs between 4:30 and 6. 3 came on anchovie and 1 on the AP needlefish spoon, ranging from 10 to 17 lbs. beautiful day to be on the water! We pulled the boat out as we're off to Renfrew on Thursday.
T2

Some great fishing today. 4 springs in the boat, and several more long line released.. It's go time in Sooke. Thankfully they didn't bug us as we looked at the eclipse through a chunk of Mylar from a chip bag...View attachment 34953
Dunno where you were. We have only once experiencd chinook fishing like that in Sooke. Nothing at all happening at the Trap from 6:30am till 1:30pm. Seems from T squared report should have stayed the entire day as the bite was on there 4:30pm until 6:00pm. I guess I'll never regularly guess exactly when to be anywhere and mostly it seems I am wrong!! LOL:)o_O

Got out Sunday 9am to 11am, favourite spot straight out front at the drop off. Had two strikes right away and then nothing for about an hour. Switched out an army truck for anchovy, and then thinks started happening. Had lots of strikes, and got about 4 close to the boat before they shook the hook :oops:. At one point had a double header which is always exciting. Landed two good size pinks, one on white hootchie and the other on anchovy. Pink seem bigger in size this year than two years ago?

On another note, looks like some A-hole stole my crab pot out of the basin sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning. Effing jerk! :mad:. Searched all over, nowhere to be seen, except for someone else had set a bunch right where I had put mine. Shortly after, I noticed a boat slowly cruise past, and shortly after that my float was back! However when I went to get it, it was only the float, line and snap hook. No trap. Now it happens I recognize this boat as a local. I don't have hard proof, but the timing was pretty obvious, so really disappointed that we have such types around.

Maybe one day he will go back to his boat and find his plug missing. These people have to realize that karma will come back to bite them. One day he will get what's coming to him.

Last edited:
Fished Otter 6-3 yesterday. Couldn't ask for better weather! 3 for 6 on springs in the teens and a few pinks. Lots of nets out all over. Should have called in sick today...

The fish around me must have been blinded by the eclipse...went 3 for 10. Was 0 for 5 until we finally landed the 2nd of a double. Seen lots of fish hooked up and lots lost except for a couple of boats who must be using magic hooks as these same guys day in and day out never loose a fish.
http://www.supertackle.info/category/sub/2/hooks-leaders/81/supertackle-zap-siwash-kirbed-hooks Try these for you spoons! Been using them for the past season a half and have yet to have one pop off! Pretry cheap as well. Will never go back to gami siwash.

Last edited:
Was fishing at Otter yesterday. Started at 5pm. Seems everyone was catching fish but me. Luckily that changed at about 6pm when I was getting fish too. It all started with a double header. I got maybe 4 more fish on. Lost them all which is quite unusual. I actually suspect these were pinks because the anchovy wasn't torn up as springs would usually do. Then a few small feeder springs I released. At 7:30 pm finally I got a very decent fish on and thought this is going to be my first tyee. Pulled like a freight train. Never played a fish that long. Eventually I could get it in the boat. Turned out to be a 18lbs spring hooked in the back.
I was fishing anchovy and a spoon. Both caught fish equally.

Last edited:
Left the dock at 6 am this morning and had the first line in the water at Otter by 6:25. At 7:20 we were cleaning up the deck and stowing fish and heading home with our limit of 4 springs. They went 21, 19, 17 and 17 pounds. A bit of a turn around from yesterday as we went 4-4 today and a complete turn around from 3 for 10 yesterday. Best fishing of the year so far.....get out there before it ends.

Left the dock at 6 am this morning and had the first line in the water at Otter by 6:25. At 7:20 we were cleaning up the deck and stowing fish and heading home with our limit of 4 springs. They went 21, 19, 17 and 17 pounds. A bit of a turn around from yesterday as we went 4-4 today and a complete turn around from 3 for 10 yesterday. Best fishing of the year so far.....get out there before it ends.
Inspiring report, but I still don't think I will try Otter tomorrow. I thought you said you were fed up with the crowds there too, Rolly.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/2017-sooke-reports.65054/page-26#post-841995

Well I hit a lot of fish yesterday and thought they must have moved west overnight. The bite up west has been after 9:30 so I thought I might as well fish Otter for a couple of hours and see if they did move down...and if it was slow...then move back up west for 9 am. I can take an hour at Otter when it goes that well and it happened before most made it there anyway.

Had one of the better days I can remember on eclipse day. Fished 4-7. Had 4 springs of 8 on including 2 small ones thrown back at trap. Bite at 5-6 was intense action rods blood teaser heads all over the deck with rods pounding in holders I couldn't get to. Centre rod on a slip weight got 3 of 4 and I haven't tried a centre rod much at all. Green splatter spoon 20 pulls was the ticket one hit 15 feet from boat in prop wash tuemes out to be 13 pounds. Biggest was 18 and was a white.

Back