Bacon Recipe

60ml of maple syrup
50mg of brown sugar
50 mg kosher salt
14mg pink salt
Mix together and rub on belly, skin on.
Brine for 7-10 days in ziplock or seal without removing all the air.
Turn everyday and massage.
Rinse and dry for 24 hours.
Smoke for 3-4 hours to an internal temp of 145 with applewood or maple.
Let cool and remove skin leaving as much fat as possible. Wrap in plastic.
Cook low and slow, render the fat out cook how you like.

This is for 5 lbs.

Enjoy

Last edited:
One other thing, if you have the ability to start your smoker temp low (Bradley type) and keep bumping up every 30 mins you get a far superior product

Here is another take on it. Making bacon usually requires injecting the bellies because it is pretty hard to get good penetration into the belly without injecting--same as ham. So what I do is cut the bellies into strips about 4 fingers wide and then do a dry rub--GetBents looks good or for 20 lbs of belly use 2/3 cup Kosher or pickling salt, 1kg demerara sugar 2 tsp prague powder; rub all pieces-place a layer of mix on the bottom of a glass or plastic container (NEVER METAL) then alternate layers of belly and mix till lightly covered. Refrigerate!! Day 2 the belly should now be in a brine--remove the meat--stir Brine add spices such as-- maple flavouring,, course pepper--some people like Orange flavour- garlic--whatever--repack the bellies, stir around a bit every couple of days REFRIGERATE!! After 6 to 8 days-- Rinse the bellies--don't soak-place on racks and let dry for 2 to 3 hours with a fan on them. Heavy smoke with open dampers at 135 degrees for an hour then close the dampers and smoke at 135 until an internal temp of 128 degrees is obtained. Then hold at 120 degrees until the desired colour is obtained Usually whole process takes about 8 hours. Refrigerate overnight before slicing(very important) Bacon should be 34 to 36 degrees and firm for slicing

60ml of maple syrup
50mg of brown sugar
50 mg kosher salt
14mg pink salt

This is for 5 lbs.

Enjoy
this bacon is good ive had some still waiting for more

Got 5 lbs ready for the Shootout... we will figure it out, need some cold smoked salmon!

Here is another take on it. Making bacon usually requires injecting the bellies because it is pretty hard to get good penetration into the belly without injecting--same as ham. So what I do is cut the bellies into strips about 4 fingers wide and then do a dry rub--GetBents looks good or for 20 lbs of belly use 2/3 cup Kosher or pickling salt, 1kg demerara sugar 2 tsp prague powder; rub all pieces-place a layer of mix on the bottom of a glass or plastic container (NEVER METAL) then alternate layers of belly and mix till lightly covered. Refrigerate!! Day 2 the belly should now be in a brine--remove the meat--stir Brine add spices such as-- maple flavouring,, course pepper--some people like Orange flavour- garlic--whatever--repack the bellies, stir around a bit every couple of days REFRIGERATE!! After 6 to 8 days-- Rinse the bellies--don't soak-place on racks and let dry for 2 to 3 hours with a fan on them. Heavy smoke with open dampers at 135 degrees for an hour then close the dampers and smoke at 135 until an internal temp of 128 degrees is obtained. Then hold at 120 degrees until the desired colour is obtained Usually whole process takes about 8 hours. Refrigerate overnight before slicing(very important) Bacon should be 34 to 36 degrees and firm for slicing
I seem to get good penetration Mike. The best part about this and not injecting is the lack of additional moisture being added, namely water. This bacon doesn't splatter much at all with the minimal water

I seem to get good penetration Mike. The best part about this and not injecting is the lack of additional moisture being added, namely water. This bacon doesn't splatter much at all with the minimal water
I agree-no added water in either case-your recipe looks good!

We never injected it big SLABS of bacon was just a mixture of salt and prauge and then top with honey put in fridge for 6 days flipping over every day ,
simple and easy . will warn you about maple syrup if you add it to it when you cook it it will burn very easily what i tell people if they want that flavor once cooked throw a few tbsps on it when done and toss it around. the burnt maple syrup makes it taste like S@#T.
10 lbs of belly
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp of cure
about 1 cup or so of honey
combine salt sugar and cure then coat it all over then drizzle the honey over it . easy and simple throw into a busboy or container.

used to make about 60 lbs a week of it along with a herbed one when I working it the sausage company

good luck
Wolf

We never injected it big SLABS of bacon was just a mixture of salt and prauge and then top with honey put in fridge for 6 days flipping over every day ,
simple and easy . will warn you about maple syrup if you add it to it when you cook it it will burn very easily what i tell people if they want that flavor once cooked throw a few tbsps on it when done and toss it around. the burnt maple syrup makes it taste like S@#T.
10 lbs of belly
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp of cure
about 1 cup or so of honey
combine salt sugar and cure then coat it all over then drizzle the honey over it . easy and simple throw into a busboy or container.

used to make about 60 lbs a week of it along with a herbed one when I working it the sausage company

good luck
Wolf
Don't cook it wide open and it doesn't burn, you are supposed to render pork fat anyways.
Been making it for years this way with stellar results. The idea is to impregnate the flavour of the maple into the product not toss it in syrup.

To each their own

Well all i can say is after doing it and working in a professional shop for a long time many customer do not know how or how to recognize how to cook somethings and trust me I LOVE the maple flavor like you but it is very easy to burn, we used to do it and stopped.
no need to get mean and nasty,
Just trying to help you out and you all wonder why people dont post here any more.....

60ml of maple syrup
50mg of brown sugar
50 mg kosher salt
14mg pink salt

This is for 5 lbs.

Enjoy
For your recipe do you mean millilitres where you've wrote mg for the last 3 ingredients?

Thanks

Before and after. The bacon turned out very good. Thanks to those who provided recipe info.

Attachments

• IMG_20181208_111228.jpg
    IMG_20181208_111228.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20181215_172947.jpg
    IMG_20181215_172947.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 77
Question for the experts? Can you freeze pork bellies for a time prior to brining and smoking. Can the finished product be frozen. Thinking of giving it a whirl.

YES no problem!!! I did a few bacon and hams this week.......
48370591_2048197195269189_3955161926060736512_n.jpg
48381572_2048197278602514_7975685128288468992_n.jpg
48917540_2048197225269186_3392803570024710144_n.jpg

Back