Crossing Georgia Strait

Hi all, we are making a first-time Voyage from Howe Sound to Desolation sound in a 22-foot sailboat. Looks like Northwest and Southeast winds ranging from five to 25 knots over the next 24 hrs.

Looking like it's 18 knots this evening... we're wondering if anyone has any idea of how big the waves would be, seems that environment Canada website is down for halibut bank.

Is there a simple equation 20 knots equals 1/2 meter waves??

Has anyone been a cross today can report on the wave height?

Appreciate the help we're planning on leaving tomorrow morning.

Depends on wind direction and tides. If the tides, currents and winds are moving in the same direction from deep water to shallow water, the waves really whip up I have found. Also, residual waves from strong winds can stick around after the wind dies. I have been out at the cap mouth after gale NW winds, and big tides, and even though the wind was only blowing 10kt, the waves were still whitecaps on top of sizable rollers. This is totally non scientific and anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth. Either way, there are so many factors at play that there doesn't seem to be a set formula of x * y = z

Have you seen this site for buoy information? Not many on your route but a couple that will likely give you a bit of useable info. Move the map and there's one more at Sentry Shoals before Desolation.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46146
Thanks for that site, I see halibut bank is down for maintenance till Aug 11... Sentry shoal is all good, it led me to find the environment Canada site so I have that saved on my phone now along with north of Nanaimo forcast.

(past 24 hrs Sentry Shoal 46131)
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weathe..._e.html?mapID=02&siteID=14301&stationID=46131
^^^ took forever to find that

Looks like the forcast is calling for more NW's and with the big tides/possible T-storm! Sounds like a recipe for squalls :confused:

We've set a limit of 15 knots in the forcast for this trip, does that sound reasonable? With some common sense added in!

We'll most likely plan a route with safe anchorage's in reach with 1 hours notice. So every 10 km...

I don't want to over complicate things but, we like to be safe and comfortable.

Maybe a trip to the Gulf islands as a backup plan and and pick a good day to cross.

Thanks again for your help!

Alex_c
"Depends on wind direction and tides. If the tides, currents and winds are moving in the same direction from deep water to shallow water, the waves really whip up I have found."

Ah that's good info, I was thinking wind against tide would create steep high breakers. So now I'm watching out for NW's going with the tide creating large high waves/rollers.

Alex_c
" Also, residual waves from strong winds can stick around after the wind dies. I have been out at the cap mouth after gale NW winds, and big tides, and even though the wind was only blowing 10kt, the waves were still whitecaps on top of sizable rollers. This is totally non scientific and anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth. Either way, there are so many factors at play that there doesn't seem to be a set formula of x * y = z"

I have the past 24hrs weather stations saved on my phone, so we'll wait for a good period of calm before leaving Howe Sound.

Thanks alot guys! There is definitely a storm hanging around so we'll wait and see what happens. Don't want to be out there for 15 hours battling NW's!!

Alex_c
"Depends on wind direction and tides. If the tides, currents and winds are moving in the same direction from deep water to shallow water, the waves really whip up I have found."

Ah that's good info, I was thinking wind against tide would create steep high breakers. So now I'm watching out for NW's going with the tide creating large high waves/rollers.

Alex_c
" Also, residual waves from strong winds can stick around after the wind dies. I have been out at the cap mouth after gale NW winds, and big tides, and even though the wind was only blowing 10kt, the waves were still whitecaps on top of sizable rollers. This is totally non scientific and anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth. Either way, there are so many factors at play that there doesn't seem to be a set formula of x * y = z"

I have the past 24hrs weather stations saved on my phone, so we'll wait for a good period of calm before leaving Howe Sound.

Thanks alot guys! There is definitely a storm hanging around so we'll wait and see what happens. Don't want to be out there for 15 hours battling NW's!!

Sorry, I meant to say that winds against tides suck the most ... as the owner of a small power boat wind in general sucks lol. Good luck on your trip!

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant to say that winds against tides suck the most ... as the owner of a small power boat wind in general sucks lol. Good luck on your trip!
No worries thanks for the correction, makes things little easier :D

Do you or does anyone know if the east or west side of Texada going north is safer. We're planning on staying east of Texada and being able to duck out in the Jervis inlet if the winds pick up, unless that's not a good idea? winds light enough so guess we'll find out. Headed out Monday morning!

Thanks!

No worries thanks for the correction, makes things little easier :D

Do you or does anyone know if the east or west side of Texada going north is safer. We're planning on staying east of Texada and being able to duck out in the Jervis inlet if the winds pick up, unless that's not a good idea? winds light enough so guess we'll find out. Headed out Monday morning!

Thanks!
The south east side of texada gets hit really hard with southeast winds. As you round the corner about halfway up texada you will be head on into any nw wind. I ran from Powell river to Lund in a give or take 15 knot southeast wind yesterday and it was 3 to 4 ' tight chop. I just looked at the forecast and it's calling for fairly light winds tomorrow . Do your own research but I think you will be fine. Just remember on the way home if you have a southeast wind the southern part of the malaspina straight will be brutal.

The south east side of texada gets hit really hard with southeast winds. As you round the corner about halfway up texada you will be head on into any nw wind. I ran from Powell river to Lund in a give or take 15 knot southeast wind yesterday and it was 3 to 4 ' tight chop. I just looked at the forecast and it's calling for fairly light winds tomorrow . Do your own research but I think you will be fine. Just remember on the way home if you have a southeast wind the southern part of the malaspina straight will be brutal.
That's exactly the info I was looking for thank you!

Hi guys, I am planning to cross from West Van to Thrasher, I’ll be crossing in a 18ft open bow boat in the morning, and coming back at around 5-6pm.
I checked windfinder, which forecasts 2-5mph winds NW when returning, but windy forecasts around 10knots. I’ve made the crossing before on a calm day, and was wondering if 10 knots of NW wind will be uncomfortable for the ride back. It looks like it will be an incoming tide at the time. Any info/help will be appreciated!!!

Should be ok. 15k is rough for you. I had a 17.5 that I crossed in all the time 15 k or less

I've made this crossing less than 10x now, but won't do it without being prepared to overnight, or follow a ferry home ;-)

Should be ok. 15k is rough for you. I had a 17.5 that I crossed in all the time 15 k or less

Looks good to go for me then, the forecast says 10 knots max at any time tomorrow. So 0.3m swells with 2s period and 10 knot NW winds should not be a problem eh? I've heard of many horror stories with NW winds so I just wanted to make sure.

It’s a short crossing running straight across lots of protection in gulf islands once across.. If your concerned get a good auto bilge pump that can move lots of water fast in case you take a couple waves over the bow. That’s when you have problems when you start taking on water and can’t get it out quick. No problem in decent conditions.

It’s 21.5 miles approx and approx 18.5 from Steveston to Polier

Last edited:
Looks good to go for me then, the forecast says 10 knots max at any time tomorrow. So 0.3m swells with 2s period and 10 knot NW winds should not be a problem eh? I've heard of many horror stories with NW winds so I just wanted to make sure.
how did you make out?

Back