2017 Campbell River Reports

Hi All,

There is a fishing derby this Saturday in Courtenay and Campbell River area to benefit Ducks Unlimited. It is hosted by Crown Isle and is $40 per angler with over $5000 in prizes including $1,500 to biggest fish!

You can register at Crown Isle or at ducks.ca

Call for more info at Crown Isle 703-5050

moved question to conservation thread. realized I posted on the reports page.

I'll be on Quadra for a wedding in mid-september and will be bringing to boat. Where will likely be the best place to fish then? I am expecting that could be slow but hopefully will still have a shot at a couple fish.

Thinking of heading up to try north of the narrows this weekend, any recent reports - good, bad, or ugly?

Picked up a nice 34" tagged spring near Stuart island yesterday,150 feet cop-car flasher with a green glow hoochie; sure is smoky,big thanks to all the firefighters out there sweating their a$$'s off.

Hello. I am camping on Quadra this weekend. We did not bring a boat, but we did bring some casting rods. Can anyone suggest somewhere on Quadra that we can cast from? I'm think of using buzz bombs and sting zildas, good?
Thx

Hi A73. West side of island hike to the cliffs off Walcan road which is about straight across from the CR mill.

IMG_0577.PNG
Hi A73. West side of island hike to the cliffs off Walcan road which is about straight across from the CR mill.
Thx ericl we will be sure to check it out. We are watching three humpback off of Francisco Pt for the last hour. What a fantastic sight. They are so close to shore.

Fished the green can Saturday evening, hit a coho and a spring both long line releases. Tried hootchies, plugs and spoons. Went to Browns bay sunday afternoon and lost a coho. Pretty slow i am finding or I am not doing it right. Lets have some reports, there is lots of boats out.

Fished the green can Saturday evening, hit a coho and a spring both long line releases. Tried hootchies, plugs and spoons. Went to Browns bay sunday afternoon and lost a coho. Pretty slow i am finding or I am not doing it right. Lets have some reports, there is lots of boats out.

i did well at the green can last monday, ( boat limits for three, largest low 20's. ) had family visiting so went out pretty much every day. picked up a few more over the course of the week but it slowed down considerably by friday. very few fish or nets out.flasher with about 42" leaders and usual CR hootchies ( blue meanies, jack smith, army truck) but deeeeeep. we got fish at 250 and i talked to a guy who was fishing 280'. my arm feels like it's gonna fall right off after reeling / checking lines from those depths. oh yah and plagues of dogfish. there was acres of herring and so the doggies were in there thick. hope it picks up again. been weird fishing in the smoke. one night the boat was covered in condensation. only thing i could figure was the natural evaporation couldn't get thru the smoke.

i did well at the green can last monday, ( boat limits for three, largest low 20's. ) had family visiting so went out pretty much every day. picked up a few more over the course of the week but it slowed down considerably by friday. very few fish or nets out.flasher with about 42" leaders and usual CR hootchies ( blue meanies, jack smith, army truck) but deeeeeep. we got fish at 250 and i talked to a guy who was fishing 280'. my arm feels like it's gonna fall right off after reeling / checking lines from those depths. oh yah and plagues of dogfish. there was acres of herring and so the doggies were in there thick. hope it picks up again. been weird fishing in the smoke. one night the boat was covered in condensation. only thing i could figure was the natural evaporation couldn't get thru the smoke.
Thanks for the report, may try greensea or the green can for the late night bite wednesday

I got 3 Chinook 14 to 20lbs and let go 2 go to this afternoon in the pack of boats off the south end of Quadra. Got them deep 280-300 on plugs.
I also had a dogfish towing a 7 inch plug and a flasher swim along side my boat so I scooped it with my net and got some new gear.
It's the first time I've seen a big plug fished with a 5ft leader behind a flasher and I'm not sure how a 4lb dogfish managed to snap someone's line.

hit the green can yesterday AM, 3 nice ones on in the first hour, unfortunately only landed 1 (on a 6 inch 602 tubby). fished hard till late afternoon and only managed another hatchery coho plus a bunch of dogs and coho grisle (even when fishing super deep per the others above). didn't look like a hot bite for most boats that I saw. Shoulda gone north but the wind forecast scared us off but as per usual I think enviro canada was wrong.

Back