looking at adding a autopilot

Take a look at the Com Nav 1420 too...local company that has been the standard in the commercial vessel fleet for decades.

So I am looking at an auto pilot as well. From what I can tell $1500 will get you an auto pilot that will happily keep you on course at 3+kts when it is flat out. I troll slower than that and it is usually lumpy out so I (and santa) am looking at $3k for a Garmin with the accelerometers.

The TR1 is not a current product. Reviews of the current Garmin are good, but who knows?Reviewers get paid to never say anything bad.

The TR1 is not a current product. Reviews of the current Garmin are good, but who knows?Reviewers get paid to never say anything bad.

Would be interested to here from someone then with the new version here on the site. I know someone who uses their old version and is very happy with it.

I too will be looking for an autopilot when I get further along in my project. Does anyone have experience with the systems that can steer the main motor. The videos of the TR1 that I have seem look a little sketchy with the kicker frantically adjusting trying to keep on course in mild weather. I like to tie my main and kicker together but assume you would need an auto pilot that can push both motors.

Hi Brian. How big is your boat? Are you looking for something that works only when you are trolling? All the AP's I have been looking at plumb into hydraulic steering. I have straight shafts & rudders; two main engines no kicker. The reviews I have read are for boats 30ft or more that troll fast on main engines. With a small prop, I would imagine that the AP might have issues when only using the kicker.

I purchased a Lowrance GPS/sounder unit with an add on Lowrance for an extra $1200 and it works great!

Hi Brian. How big is your boat? Are you looking for something that works only when you are trolling? All the AP's I have been looking at plumb into hydraulic steering. I have straight shafts & rudders; two main engines no kicker. The reviews I have read are for boats 30ft or more that troll fast on main engines. With a small prop, I would imagine that the AP might have issues when only using the kicker.
20' boat. Currently I use a tie bar from the main to the kicker. I will be staying with a single main outboard and a kicker. I'd like to run hydraulic steering on the main but tie it to the kicker so that when I'm fishing with the kicker both motors are steering. I would like an auto pilot or remote steer system that I can steer wirelessly. I'm not really keen on the idea of adding a rear steering wheel to steer from the stern.

Is there a remote fob you can add as well? I've looked adding it to my 2nd Generation. Great to hear a local review.
Not sure if a remote is even available. I run a center console and don't need one. I can use in my navigation package but most of the time I just point the direction I want to go and press a red button on my dash. To turn it off I press the button again. Best $1200 I ever spent

I thought the Intelisteer looked like a good system. I almost bought one, then decided to go with a rear helm instead. Intelisteer uses a fob you wear on a string around your neck.

Hi Brian. Your proposed setup would work with a traditional AP (works both at speed & on the troll). Many of the AP's have some sort of "learning" logic in their computer to learn the characteristics of you boat/motor configuration. These AP's size their hydraulic pump based on the capacity of the ram unit in your hydraulic steering system. I am fairly sure that the majority of these AP's get installed on larger vessels that troll on the main engines. I can see this as a potential issue on your boat & recommend you talk with support staff before purchase.
As mentioned by profisher, comm nav is local to BC. Dunno if they have a remote though.

If you want an auto pilot that can keep a course in big current and strong winds the ones that only hook up to the kicker will fail. You will be firing up the main engine and steering by hand in those conditions. Only a true auto pilot plumbed into the boats hydraulic steering system and that turns both the main and the kicker will maintain a heading in the worst conditions. Which is when you really need it!!!! Take a look at the Com Nav pilots...just like Scotty...local well made and tested products with close service if you do need it. Ask the commercial trollers which pilots they used...most used Com Nav.

Back