Leader length

looking for recommendations for leader length when fishing for springs.
Both spoons and Hoochies,
Have had success with shorter (36-42") with plastic but always looking to up the catch.
Mostly for fishing July into August. Don't seem to have issues hooking up in the fall months.

Lot's of variables in the Hoochie action equation; leader diameter, leader material stiffness, leader length, snap on end of Flasher, Flasher distance from release clip, lure speed thru water, Hoochie style/size, single siwash versus twin octopus hooks.

I NEVER use a Flasher with spoons. If I am desperate & would like some meat, & haven't caught anything, I'll use flasher/hoochie.

I use a 4x the Flasher blade length 50 lb stiff leader, 4/0 or 5/0 siwash with a barrel swivel where the Hoochie body turns from solid to tassels.
I troll fairly fast with the flasher 20' behind the clip.

I am sure that on any given day, other combo's may work better or worse.

I'm still kinda new to ocean fishing here but I have had great luck on 32" leaders on spoons and a bit shorter on hoochies

How come no spoon flasher combo?

Lot's of variables in the Hoochie action equation; leader diameter, leader material stiffness, leader length, snap on end of Flasher, Flasher distance from release clip, lure speed thru water, Hoochie style/size, single siwash versus twin octopus hooks.

I NEVER use a Flasher with spoons. If I am desperate & would like some meat, & haven't caught anything, I'll use flasher/hoochie.

I use a 4x the Flasher blade length 50 lb stiff leader, 4/0 or 5/0 siwash with a barrel swivel where the Hoochie body turns from solid to tassels.
I troll fairly fast with the flasher 20' behind the clip.

I am sure that on any given day, other combo's may work better or worse.

Two reasons:

I hate flashers
I hate flashers

I try to only fish area's where I can catch all the Salmon I want without using flashers. I live in the US but only fish BC, so i gotta travel a bit anyway. Thanks to Iron Needle spoons, I can probably give-away all my needlefish hoochies.

Flashers spoil the fight.
Do u use dummy flashers attached to the DR ball as an attactant and then fish the spoons naked on top? Or just spoons with no flashers at all?
I've recently switched to 8" flashers and am experiencing the samy action even with plastic. Less drag and sportier to fight a salmon. 11" is just too much tension in general.

Spoons are much easier than plugs; no worry about knot placement & can go a wider range of speeds. The 6" Coyotes work over a wider range of speeds, but i like the Tomic color selection better, plus they can be custom ordered.

I have used naked spoons both with & without a false flasher. The Q-cove works best; you only need 3ft of separation so a 3ft plastic snubber from Gold Star (shock absorber, easy on the hands) works perfect.

Two reasons:

I hate flashers
I hate flashers

I try to only fish area's where I can catch all the Salmon I want without using flashers. I live in the US but only fish BC, so i gotta travel a bit anyway. Thanks to Iron Needle spoons, I can probably give-away all my needlefish hoochies.

Flashers spoil the fight.

Re your liking of Iron Needle spoons, the original big ones or the newer smaller ones?

Been using primarily plugs this year. When using spoons I'm doing so with no flasher in line, rather using dummy flashers on the cannonball at about an 8' length.

I regularly run Spoons behind Flashers.... because it works! The smaller sport spoons like up to a 5.0 Coyote Size...At least in my area which is Southern Georgia Strait......averaging better than 100% advantage over the other lines with no flasher. I have done this enough that I know that it's a 2 or 3 to 1 advantage over the non Flasher lines with the same spoons.

West Coast, mid Strait in clear water, North Coast larger spoons no flasher 12-15' back off the wire.

Depends on the specific situation.

Leader length on Hoochies is 28-42" depending on species targeted.

Leader length on spoons is 60-72inch behind the Flasher at all times.

Plugs 15-60' back depending on situation...no Flashers dummies or otherwise....usually motoring way too fast and have too many lines out to F around when a big quality fish gets on.

I'm mostly a plug fisherman but would like to learn to be more effective using spoons.

Clint...12' back off the wire. Hook Size matching the length of the Spoon. Or one smaller. Hook point facing downward on the dish of the spoon. Use Mustad 9510. match spoon size to bait Size. Popular spoons are flutter spoons matching the Hatch.

45 degree angle in the wire. Speed over ground 1.9-2.4 on average. Bigger spoons and heavier spoons kick it up a little notch on the speed. Action should have a snappy dodge to it.

When replacing hooks on spoons do not upsize or go too heavy.

30-40 lb test maximum leader for sport spoons. Fish exactly as the spoons are manufactured. Do not add swivels. If they were designed to be fished with swivels they would come like that.

never heard of Iron Needle spoons. just looked them up. am i reading it right, $20 for one of their spoons?!?!?????
Iron Needle Spoons are made local by a forum member - NOG. I can attest to the quality of his spoons. They are painted by hand at Tomic and have incredible glow and action. I've caught many quality fish on them and they hold up extremely well. They will outlast 5 Skinny G spoons at $9 a piece. Do yourself a favor and try 1, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Also have a look at the Sitka spoons. Another made in BC spoon and has been my go to for last 2 years. I like the sand lance model the best as I think it also mimics anchovies fairly well. 6-8' leader in the summer, shorter in the winter. I like the dark green and moonjelly combo the best.

Iron Needle Spoons are made local by a forum member - NOG. I can attest to the quality of his spoons. They are painted by hand at Tomic and have incredible glow and action. I've caught many quality fish on them and they hold up extremely well. They will outlast 5 Skinny G spoons at $9 a piece. Do yourself a favor and try 1, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Cheers

There's a little more to the Iron Needle story now than there was. They do work. They were developed by Matt Stabler. They are made by a guy named Nick. You may wish to find out a little More about who you may be supporting when you buy one of them.

never heard of Iron Needle spoons. just looked them up. am i reading it right, $20 for one of their spoons?!?!?????

By the time you pay the taxes and drive yourself to the tackle store I imagine $20 is right. I have seen them at $18 at stores I buy from.

If there's a specific situation when you really need a Nog's Needle, have a couple onboard an it will make the difference.

I have about a dozen....can attest that they DO work and well at that when needlefish are the feed.

Back