Kyuquot

Trophy21

Crew Member
any reports from kyuquot? I'm heading there next week. Any members been to the lodges or out on there own boats, any intell would be great! Looking for salmon this trip. Wondering if the fish are all offshore?

Have seen good reports from Murphys including a 38 2 days ago.

This time of year I would be at the reef, the 'T' or due west of the reef at the 50 fathom line. I prefer offshore but if the slot limit is not in place...Spring Island can be great, troll along the kelp on the west side of it.

@finaddict is usually up there around now...I am sure he can also offer some insight.

Thanks pippen. Usually hit the reef and spring island upon arrival. Last two years reef has been slow for me. Used to be stuffed with fish.
Do you know the lure of choice for the lodges this year?

Thanks pippen. Usually hit the reef and spring island upon arrival. Last two years reef has been slow for me. Used to be stuffed with fish.
Do you know the lure of choice for the lodges this year?

I don't but they don't go too fancy. I have had great fishing up there with a pearled white hooch that outfished everything by a mile. Simple glow spoons as well....and you can't go wrong with bait unless the coho are thick. I like spoons with blue when out there too....also J55 hooch or a blue splatterback.

If the reef is quiet...get out to the 50 fathom line; reef was slow for me last time and I ran due west to the line and it was going off. The T is a bit of a run but another good spot.

Any members find fish this week on the reef? Spring island? Thornton islands?

Trophy21, you boat in Kyuquot or trailer into Fair Harbour? A trip I'd be interested in.

Last edited:
Trophy21, you boat in Kyuquot or trailer into Fair Harbour? A trip I'd be interested in.

I trailer into fair harbour Chuck. The road can be rough but I just take it slow.

Just came back from Ky. Three days and amazing flat calm waters for two of those days. Easy limits of springs 15 - 25 lbs. at all the normal locations. Off-shore was a different story. With flat calm waters we had two boat and 4 rods out looking for halibut with almost no success. Put in about 10 hours both days and probably 20 well known halibut spots during this time. We threw everything at them we had and got one 20 lb. chicken for our results. No yellow-eye. no dogfish, no skate....Nothing. Talked to a local guide who said that the Native Food Fishery long-liners had been in there for the past couple months and vacuumed everything off the bottom. I believe him. One of the local long liners is a friend of his and he had mentioned that last week when he was out long lining the same area he could not catch a single halibut, so when the Longliners cant get anything, there is nothing to be caught.

I have been fishing Kyuquot for 10 years and that was without a doubt the worst bottom fishing I have ever experienced there.

Just came back from Ky. Three days and amazing flat calm waters for two of those days. Easy limits of springs 15 - 25 lbs. at all the normal locations. Off-shore was a different story. With flat calm waters we had two boat and 4 rods out looking for halibut with almost no success. Put in about 10 hours both days and probably 20 well known halibut spots during this time. We threw everything at them we had and got one 20 lb. chicken for our results. No yellow-eye. no dogfish, no skate....Nothing. Talked to a local guide who said that the Native Food Fishery long-liners had been in there for the past couple months and vacuumed everything off the bottom. I believe him. One of the local long liners is a friend of his and he had mentioned that last week when he was out long lining the same area he could not catch a single halibut, so when the Longliners cant get anything, there is nothing to be caught.

I have been fishing Kyuquot for 10 years and that was without a doubt the worst bottom fishing I have ever experienced there.

But Sporties, you can only take one Hali a day!! Idiots!!

Last edited:

That is starting to happen here except they are selling them

Well I hope they didn't find my Halli hole! Good to hear about the salmon can't wait to get into some fish.
Thanks for the report finattic!
So sad to hear human greed could continue to collapse fisheries time and time again.

Curious...did the reef produce salmon? And did you anchor up for Hali?

Waiting in Nanaimo for the ferry on the return from Kyuquot. Easy limits of springs mostly around spring island but did drop down and get a couple outside. Bottom fishing for us was decent but had to work hard anchoring for them and waiting them out. BTW road is in excellent shape and made fair harbour to Hwy in an hour and a half. Not sure why photo loads upside down?
K

Attachments

• IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Waiting in Nanaimo for the ferry on the return from Kyuquot. Easy limits of springs mostly around spring island but did drop down and get a couple outside. Bottom fishing for us was decent but had to work hard anchoring for them and waiting them out. BTW road is in excellent shape and made fair harbour to Hwy in an hour and a half. Not sure why photo loads upside down?
K

Thanks for the report! I'm leaving tomorrow for kyuquot. Good to hear the road is in good shape. If all goes well I'll be hitting a good tack at spring island this time tomorrow! Can't freaking wait!

Back