2017 Campbell River Reports

Fished the Green Can on Sunday night along with a lot of other boats. Beautiful evening but slow fishing, at least for me. Never got a bite, only saw 2 other boats playing a fish. Never saw any bait on the sounder.

A few boats out at the hump tonight. We ended up with an 11 lb spring on a 7" blue and green plug down 170 feet. Put up a great scrap after hitting like a freight train. Right at tide change.

We were out again today, 3 undersize springs but got a nice eater ling for dinner tonight.

Edit; out in the 100 boat fleet Saturday and got 1 small keeper spring and 1 undersize. Honestly didn't see another keeper caught although I'm sure there was some.

Last edited:
Great fishing between can and hump.
18,12 and 2 cohos wild Released.
Springs were deep. Cohos around 120.
Great nite out.

Ha ha, I was already thinking the same thing. I already ran up to Hall and Denham for a nice sightseeing and gear bathing session. I think the sting has worn off enough to go for another try up north.

Fished from the red to green can tonight and ended up with a perfectly BBQ sized beautiful red spring. We tried out deep near the end of the night and caught a Hake of all things. Funniest thing about it was there were at least two separate fish chasing it up, and when I actually lifted it out of the water, it had its belly chomped away. It was still moving its gills and everything, just no belly or guts! The crazy things you see on the water.

Fished in the lighthouse and hump area today, no salmon for me. Seemed to be a lot of bait around 200 - 250 feet in a few spots. Found the dogfish at the lighthouse reef range. Green can to red can seemed to look a little choppy so I didn't venture so far. A lot of boats still gave it a go, hope it paid off. We did manage some fish for the chips.

I was out today also....no love either, a couple of wild coho.

I was looking through the regs, just curious, when does the lighthouse close? or does it still? I could not find anything on it.....

thanks in advance

Vancity16 let us know how you do. Those areas can be a bit of a trip for me from Campbell River. I usually fish as far as Chatham Point and Green sea bay, once to Hall point. I have only heard it has been slow so far.

Saw several boats out last night we started fishing at the hump went all the way around the green can not much action in fact we never saw another net out and the only bait on the screen was at the hump so at 8:30 pm went back there had a few wild coho on one side and brought a beauty of spring to the boat from way deep but the second time he broke the water he shook the hook....was a beautiful evening

I know it's early but gave Greensea a fish last night through the flood. Nothing touched. Was up with the old man doing an overnighter and figured it'd be worth giving it a shot just because. Zero expectations, and they were met.

Had a solid day yesterday between the Green can and Francisco point. Two 13-15 lb white springs, half a dozen springs just under, 4 wild coho. 1 hatch coho, 2 pinks and a nice whale show over by Mittlenatch. Cop car spoon and Bon Chovy flasher at 180 was a great combo(thank GS!!), and anchovies worked well too.

I know it's early but gave Greensea a fish last night through the flood. Nothing touched. Was up with the old man doing an overnighter and figured it'd be worth giving it a shot just because. Zero expectations, and they were met.
Thanks for the report. It's hard to believe there is fish around Wilby Shoals but not much north of the narrows, considering that there are some pinks in the vicinity.

Back