2017 Winter Harbour Reports

Fished slack low @ Kains last weds & it was sporty for sure with the wind. Lost a screamer inside the zip line at 25ft on the wire. Picked up a 22lb slab b4 the wind rendered it unfishable. Stopped at cliffe 4 a bit, but back to coal by 230.

Just returned from our winter Harbour ( June 16-23 ) trip, and once again a very memorable and productive trip.
Left vernon 1:30 am on the 16th, hit the 6:30 ferry out of horshoe bay, picked up DBastock in Campbell River, in the water in Coal Harbour by 2:30, docked Oli's floating cabin 3:20, unpacked and back on the water by 5! Straight to cliff pt for a quick evening fish. 1 spring, and 4 coho over a couple hours, then in to catch some much needed sleep.
5:30 am lift off, Gail warning in effect for following day, we shot through the gap and headed north to top knot, set the hook and dropped the spreader bars. We sat for the first hour with no takers, then they came! The next hour produced a 132, and 2 more mediums. Off the hook to jig up a few Lings, and back to the cabin for lunch and some filleting View attachment 33951
Back to cliff for the evening bite for some silvers View attachment 33946 a couple teeners, and some coho!
The next two days the S-SW came up to 25+ so we stuck inside the light, and had a hayday! Springs and coho were plentiful, with multiple double headers, springs were averaging mid teens, and coho were 4-8 lbs. View attachment 33952
By Tuesday morning winds turning NW 15 to 25, on the water by 4:30 am, quick stop at the light for a few silvers, for hali bait, then through the gap, and north to top knot! On the hook by 8. The first hour was relaxing having coffee and breaky, then the work began! The next hour and a half produced our 5 hali, ranging from 35lb to 68lb! Done on the flattties! Off the hook, and a drift jig for lings! 2 more hours, and our white fish were in the box. View attachment 33953 We finished our week off limiting on all species, exceptional week fishing amongst Oli, Big Dog, Garrett, what a professional group of guides! Always willing to share info, and work as a team! We started our trip rolling bait, and splattered back hooch, and ended up on 4-5 inch spoons, 6 foot leaders behind flashers, doing 2.4 to 3.2 sog, by far the best producer! We even landed a 40 lb hali in the spoon in 22 feet of water trolling through the gap. View attachment 33954 Another amazing trip, with a talented crew that always gets the job done!
We will be back for tuna when they show up! View attachment 33950

Tight Lines!

Killing "silvers" for hali bait is not really something you want to report. Either is ignoring the halibut regulations for one over 83cm one under. Gotta love coming down to the coast and abusing the resource.

My thoughts exactly Kelly. Which bring me back to my question about fishing for Hali at Top knot. As I see it top knot is inside the RCA unless the lines have changed. Or maybe there is an other spot called top knot? I'm not looking for coordinates just clarification.

Thx for the report Tyeeslayer and SF I will give a report when I return on july 8Th.

Scott

Just returned from our winter Harbour ( June 16-23 ) trip, and once again a very memorable and productive trip.
Left vernon 1:30 am on the 16th, hit the 6:30 ferry out of horshoe bay, picked up DBastock in Campbell River, in the water in Coal Harbour by 2:30, docked Oli's floating cabin 3:20, unpacked and back on the water by 5! Straight to cliff pt for a quick evening fish. 1 spring, and 4 coho over a couple hours, then in to catch some much needed sleep.
5:30 am lift off, Gail warning in effect for following day, we shot through the gap and headed north to top knot, set the hook and dropped the spreader bars. We sat for the first hour with no takers, then they came! The next hour produced a 132, and 2 more mediums. Off the hook to jig up a few Lings, and back to the cabin for lunch and some filleting View attachment 33951
Back to cliff for the evening bite for some silvers View attachment 33946 a couple teeners, and some coho!
The next two days the S-SW came up to 25+ so we stuck inside the light, and had a hayday! Springs and coho were plentiful, with multiple double headers, springs were averaging mid teens, and coho were 4-8 lbs. View attachment 33952
By Tuesday morning winds turning NW 15 to 25, on the water by 4:30 am, quick stop at the light for a few silvers, for hali bait, then through the gap, and north to top knot! On the hook by 8. The first hour was relaxing having coffee and breaky, then the work began! The next hour and a half produced our 5 hali, ranging from 35lb to 68lb! Done on the flattties! Off the hook, and a drift jig for lings! 2 more hours, and our white fish were in the box. View attachment 33953 We finished our week off limiting on all species, exceptional week fishing amongst Oli, Big Dog, Garrett, what a professional group of guides! Always willing to share info, and work as a team! We started our trip rolling bait, and splattered back hooch, and ended up on 4-5 inch spoons, 6 foot leaders behind flashers, doing 2.4 to 3.2 sog, by far the best producer! We even landed a 40 lb hali in the spoon in 22 feet of water trolling through the gap. View attachment 33954 Another amazing trip, with a talented crew that always gets the job done!
We will be back for tuna when they show up! View attachment 33950

Tight Lines!

How many on board with you?

Hi Guy's Just curious, what are you guy's fishing for around Solender island? We where down they last year and only managed to catch a pair of sea ball.
I have a honey hole over there for ground fish but last year we hit a large school of coho and limited out 4 guys in a hour.. All 8-15lbs

Hello All

I'm heading up to winter harbour July 4 to 8. Reading the post above about fishing halibut at top knot I was under the impression that top knot was part of the RCA? Has the RCA changed

Thx Scott
where we fish top knot is outside of the rca its a long burn that is definatly worth it if the fishing is tough if its easy we stay closer to lippy

Hello All

I'm heading up to winter harbour July 4 to 8. Reading the post above about fishing halibut at top knot I was under the impression that top knot was part of the RCA? Has the RCA changed

Thx Scott
The RCA hasn't changed but if you look at your charts directly opposite topknot--way off-shore --right on the RCA line there is a pinnacle/bank/reef 1/2 in and out of the RCA--well known anchoring spot--don't think I'm spilling any secrets here!! Probably what he is referring to--Let's hopeLOL

The RCA hasn't changed but if you look at your charts directly opposite topknot--way off-shore --right on the RCA line there is a pinnacle/bank/reef 1/2 in and out of the RCA--well known anchoring spot--don't think I'm spilling any secrets here!! Probably what he is referring to--Let's hopeLOL
You got it SF, just outside the 91 Pinnicle! Great spot for salmon, and bottom dwellers.

Killing "silvers" for hali bait is not really something you want to report. Either is ignoring the halibut regulations for one over 83cm one under. Gotta love coming down to the coast and abusing the resource.
Kelly

I look at this forum as a very useful and knowledgeable tool for planning and executing fishing trips! I wasn't aware that I needed to specify that we stopped to catch some silvers for some fresh salmon bellies, heads, and tails! I kinda figured that any seasoned fisherman would have figured that out without question!! I am also well aware of the 133 and the 83, and that is why we released 3 to get our limit.
I have fished the pacific all my life, commercially and sporty, I know the regulations and RCA'S and respect them 100%!
I have met and fished with some very respectable members of the forum, and will continue to do so!
My post was to help fellow fisherman, not to cause drama!!

Tight lines!!

I hate guys picking reporters apart as much as the next guy but you clearly posted that your smallest Hali was 35 lbs along with pictures of 9 oversize and no mention of undersize. I apologize if I was mistaken. You guys must have been a large group, pulled the undersize out of the photos and didnt mention them in the report.

As for the silvers, there are a lot of guys who use small springs and coho specifically for bait and that is how you worded it. Glad to hear you guys weren't killing coho just for bait.

I hate guys picking reporters apart as much as the next guy but you clearly posted that your smallest Hali was 35 lbs along with pictures of 9 oversize and no mention of undersize. I apologize if I was mistaken. You guys must have been a large group, pulled the undersize out of the photos and didnt mention them in the report.

As for the silvers, there are a lot of guys who use small springs and coho specifically for bait and that is how you worded it. Glad to hear you guys weren't killing coho just for bait.
Not to mention the coho's all have their Heads, tails and bellies intact lol

I see 5 overs.

Let this inquisition die please. Last thing we want on this forum is people not posting about their trips because of forum police. I'd rather hear about the good fishing as opposed to trying to pull teeth to get any info.

I see 5 overs.

Let this inquisition die please. Last thing we want on this forum is people not posting about their trips because of forum police. I'd rather hear about the good fishing as opposed to trying to pull teeth to get any info.
Actually, over the 2 days it's 6 overs and 2 mediums, which were probably over 83 cm's.

There is no sense in reporting if you aren't compliant

Last edited:
Reactions: JWS
I see 5 overs.

It's frustrating when guys post obvious regulation violations. He even provided weights and pictures so it's not really in question. There are more than 5 oversize there. 83cm is only 14 lbs.

I've been sending guests home with only 1 Halibut lately strictly due to the fact that we can't find any under 83cm. I personally am not a big fan of such a small second slot but I'm still abiding by the rules. Therefore if someone publically posts a report where they are ignoring this regulation, I'm going to call them out.

Got back from 5 days up at WH. First trip up there for myself and it's such a unique place. We got into our limits of chinook and bottom fish, but only scraped up two small chickens. First day we went around the lighthouse and up towards lippy for our salmon. Trolled up some bottom fish in the mix. Our skinny g out fished bait easily. Gold/silver with a super betsy flasher. Next day we anchored up and got a pile of nice sized lingcod and bottom fish, no hali's. Last day we ran down to Lawn Pt and couldn't scratch up a salmon so we ran up to Kwakiutl and picked up the last of our limits. A few coho in the mix as well. Green skinny g with green flasher started doing a little better for us that day. Lots of smaller baitfish. Most fish were 12-20 so nothing big but lots of fun and these guys rip hard! A couple times we cleared the deck thinking we had something that was pushing the bell as it screamed line off, only to reel in a teenager. Weather worked out in our favour as it was getting better each day and sounds like it's gonna be a beauty the next couple days. Had a blast.

Back