Tofino whale-watching capsizing: Leviathan II survivors file potential class-action lawsuit

was building a top heavy boat alteration and letting a dozen people stand on the top of it an "act of god" no way. the roller set that hit it might have been.

agreed TrophyWife. However accepting liability means big pay-out. Lawyers for the company and the company's insurance supplier obviously prefer to let it be called an "act of God" instead- and spend the lawyer fees to argue it out in court. Carl Ligert has never explained what actually happened on the bridge of the Queen of the North - for the same reason...

Last edited:
Unless the modification was signed off by an engineer. This will end badly for the operator.

But not nearly as bad as the victims in this.

Unless the modification was signed off by an engineer. This will end badly for the operator.

But not nearly as bad as the victims in this.

From what I gathered listening to the press conference the modifications were not an issue.

The TSB said the boat was all up to standard and there was no issues with the boat.

I can't believe PLB's or EPIRBS are not mandatory on a boat like that with that many passengers.

Makes me realize how lucky I have been over the years & how stupid I am.
Lucky for sure, Ericl... same with the rest of us. A few $ for a decent, comfortable floater/pfd - a wp radio, flares, and whatever else you want in a wp bag - could make a big difference when things go sideways...

One thing people need to remember about wearing a PFD is that if you have a fully enclosed cabin, you will be trapped inside if your wearing it when **** hits the fan. Just something to think about for people that have these types of boats. I was also surprised that a boat that size did not require a EPIRB

Back