2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Thanks fd. . .so as far as I can see there's no maximum size limit on Chinook in 23 planned for August. I'll go with that for now,

fb

Had a chance to get out on Saturday. Started out at Pill Point. Tried the right gear at the right depths that was producing well two days earlier. Nothing. Saw a couple nets out but from what I could see and from the chatter on the radio most fish were too small. Decided to jig a point that nearly cost me a couple of cannon balls last year. Got 1 vermillion rockfish and a 30" Cabazon.

salmon slowed right down when the weather changed. some first light fish at cree, but other than that i heard and saw none... bait was even hard to find... got our bottomfish tho.. sweet lingers!!

Are you coming out of Ukee or Port Alberni?
Sorry, late reply,
We were out of Ukee,
Managed some rockfish and undersize lings, jigged at rock off Black Rock. One year old was a bit queasy in swells so trips were brief
Saw a charter come in with some salmon from of Great Bear, also reports of fish by red can at lighthouse

Was in Barkley this weekend. Fished the Meares, Austin, Cree, Sail, Great Bear area. Was pretty slow for us. Caught a couple, lost a couple. Mostly smaller fish in the 6-14lb range. Few guys still targeting feeders in Vernon Bay.

Just came out of Barkley Sound from a 2 day sentence... ouch a whole lot of work for some 5 to 14lb springs..slooow fishing inside....I can say find the bait & then grind it out to get your fish... small anchovies were the ticket 77ft to 87...

Last edited:
Heading up to Bamfield July 2-5 first time in 20 years. Any tips / suggestions for gear at this time? It looks like sockeye is going to be a no go how is spring/Hali fishing early July?
Thanks

A group just left our place after fishing in Bam for 4 days and they had 21 springs, limits of crab and 2 limits of prawns...that's not hot fishing but it is better than I thought they were going to do based on what I have been hearing...so there must be a few fish around. Mostly small fish, biggest was 16 lbs and they were sporadic bites...near the bait. Needlefish hootchies, small spoons, small bait. Halibut fishing has been good.

Hey folks
Just checked the DFO website for area 23/123 Barklay Sound
I could be wrong here ....but it appears there has been a mid season change in rockfish retention limits ....
When I checked a few months ago and wrote it down ...I'm almost positive Site showed daily limit for rockfish 3 possession 6 .....
Just checked the web site ... As long as I am reading it right .... it shows daily limit 2 possession 4 .... Just a FYI ... ....
Also ....sounds like a few coho started to trickle in on Sunday in Bamfield ....from what I have gleaned off DFO website ....retention of wild and hatchery inside surf line of Barkley sound is allowed .... Outside off shore only hatchery coho retention allowed ....
Maybe someone else can clarify what I read ? as I am not a DFO website Guru :)

We kept two Coho off shore on Monday. Both hatchery. They were jumping all over the place.

On my way there right now. Four days fishing and exploring in my friends new boat. Where does a guy park a truck and boat trailer for half a week?

On my way there right now. Four days fishing and exploring in my friends new boat. Where does a guy park a truck and boat trailer for half a week?
Are you launching in Port Alberni? You can pay for parking right at the launch. Or free parking up the road by the ford dealer

You can also launch at China Creek - about 15 K'S up the inlet - makes the run to Bamfield a little shorter, and you avoid the river.
They have daily parking and a fuel dock. I prefer to tow my boat there with as little fuel as possible to keep the weight down.
It feels a little more secure at China Creek.
Good fishing.
Stosh

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Don't know the area at all not sure what our plan is yet. Just on the way to pick up the boat now. But am looking for options.

You can also launch at China Creek - about 15 K'S up the inlet - makes the run to Bamfield a little shorter, and you avoid the river.
They have daily parking and a fuel dock. I prefer to tow my boat there with as little fuel as possible to keep the weight down.
It feels a little more secure at China Creek.
Good fishing.
Stosh
Good idea but can be a bit of a gamble in terms of road conditions...have travelled the road of years and last year beat the tar out of the boat/trailer.

Back