Tomics - Pick a custom colour...

Go.Fish

Tomics website says that aren't accepting any plugs for repainting at this time so went out and bought some airbrush tools and supplies for some DIY

Thinking of popping the pins out on them due to the amount of time that went into painting them and not wanting to lose any to fish or seals. Not sure what works yet, gonna get a few wet this weekend.

Which colour would you pick? Springs being the likely target
a2Q7lU9.jpg

Those look great. What kind of paint did you use? And did you prime them first? Personally I would go - 9, 10, 13, 4. I guess it does depend where you are fishing though.... I personally think the red leading edge matters, or some red around the eye. Good job!

#6 and #8 (turdish colors) worked well for us inside Nootka sound when 602/603/pilchard weren't working. Seemed to trigger a slow bite. I'd run those.

Last edited:
Look great, 4,5,12 and 13

Tomics float so when you break off you can circle back and net them, reduces your loss. You can also stack them this way

Those look great. What kind of paint did you use? And did you prime them first? Personally I would go - 9, 10, 13, 4. I guess it does depend where you are fishing though.... I personally think the red leading edge matters, or some red around the eye. Good job!
Thanks! They're done with Createx (auto-air, wicked) and yes primed first with the same brand. #9 will be one of the first to get wet. My even stack a bunch without hooks and inspect them after an hour to see which ones have bite marks. If #10 works that would be awesome as its super simple to make more of (and the only 5" plug in that photo btw)
The pic was taken before they were finished so most have red leading edges now, some have a dash of red near the eye and most have been clear coated
#6 and #8 (turdish colors) worked well for us inside Nootka sound when 602/603/pilchard weren't working. Seemed to trigger a slow bite. I'd run those.
I've never fished Nootka but added to the list thanks
What is the advantage to popping out the pins?
Losing a lure in the fishes mouth sucks when you forget which lure it was haha. There's an article on the Tomic site about this
Look great, 4,5,12 and 13

Tomics float so when you break off you can circle back and net them, reduces your loss. You can also stack them this way
Thanks, also added

Good work! Several nice ones there.

Nice work on the painting. You said you just picked up an airbrush? You musta done this before though, no?

4, 9, 6 and 13 for me.

Oly

Go Fish - where are you fishing out of? And what depths? Just wondering if you have any with glow or UV paints....
These days just Howe sound when I have time. Use to fish ambleside almost everyday but without a free boat launch I don't get out as much anymore. Depths, anything that's ends in a 7 (47-177). It's hard to see but most that have white bellies are also coated in UV glow white before colour is sprayed
Good work! Several nice ones there.
Thanks glad ya like some, hopefully the fish do too ;)
Nice work on the painting. You said you just picked up an airbrush? You musta done this before though, no?

4, 9, 6 and 13 for me.

Oly
Thank you. Yes done it before about 20 years ago my dad had a Binks suction feed brush which I sprayed a flame job on a dirt bike gas tank. It was ghetto! The dual action gravity feed Iwatas are the cats meow in comparison.

2, 3, 5 for me. Nice work on them, where are you located? Interested in painting up some old 7" commie plugs for me!? :p

Beautiful job, I think they all look great and probably all catch fish but I like 10-9-8-13

Thanks again for the votes and compliments...
So far the top 4.
13 (6 votes)
4 (5 votes)
9 (5 votes)
5 (4 votes)

Tomic seems to paint all the leading edges red, as well, the eyes yellow. Anyone think the yellow eyes make a difference? The eyes are being left as is for a while until I get an order of realistic 3D eyes from overseas, they should look much more realistic (red, yellow, gold and silver)
2, 3, 5 for me. Nice work on them, where are you located? Interested in painting up some old 7" commie plugs for me!? :p
I'm in North Van. When I figure out what works best there's another 20 pieces to paint, after that I'd "consider" it :cool:

What is the advantage to popping out the pins?

When you take the pins out, they float. So if you ever break one off sometimes you can find it and retrieve it.

# 4 for sure, #1 looks interesting as well. I've put down a custom no bananas tomic and have done pretty good with it. That one looks like the homeland security.

Yeah it would be good to make one in a white / uv lower and irish cream type green top maybe with a faint red stripe between the two colours....

Tomic seems to paint all the leading edges red, as well, the eyes yellow. Anyone think the yellow eyes make a difference?

Nice Work. Number 8 for me.

I experimented with a good number of plugs (well over 100). Found that blue or black leading (nose) was just as effective as red.

Also went with the oversized 3=D eyes in silver & yellow. They really pop out and seem to draw strikes better than those without.

Question for you: What did you use to create the scale like pattern over the backs? Screen or?
Still haven't found anything that is completely satisfactory in that regard...

Good Luck! Always fun to catch them on something you created yourself.

Cheers,
Nog - Still have several hundred left to paint...

Back