2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Thanks for the report SF. These pink dildos sound like a massive pain. Weird stuff going on over there last few years. Sun fish, large sharks, vellelium ( sp? - those purple lip looking sail jellies) weird algae blooms, warm blobs, now this. How bad did they impact trolling? Were they found at all depths? I'm heading to Nootka second week of July. Being a tad early I was planning on fishing outside toward Beano, and Maquinna. Could be a complete change of plans in the works.

Salmon fishing has been quite good. Chinook are averaging 12-20 pounds with a few larger fish in the mix. Limits are being achieved by most anglers. Needlefish hoochies and anchovies have been the best baits this week. Purple haze squirt with orange beads was working exceptional for us. The salmon are eating 3-5 inch immature rock fish that have an orange coloring to them. At Esperanza reef 70 feet all the way to bottom have been the best depths. Ling cod and bottom fish limits are being taken here while salmon fishing. We are allowed 2 rock fish and 2 ling cod per day so there is lots of freezers filling up. Halibut fishing is excellent as always. Salmon bellies and squid have been the best baits this past week. Good spots to try are the 8 mile pinnacles and 12 mile reef.

RO j1.JPG

Ro J2.jpg

Ro J4.jpg

Last edited:
Salmon fishing has been quite good. Chinook are averaging 12-20 pounds with a few larger fish in the mix. Limits are being achieved by most anglers. Needlefish hoochies and anchovies have been the best baits this week. Purple haze squirt with orange beads was working exceptional for us. The salmon are eating 3-5 inch immature rock fish that have an orange coloring to them. At Esperanza reef 70 feet all the way to bottom have been the best depths. Ling cod and bottom fish limits are being taken here while salmon fishing. We are allowed 3 rock fish and 3 ling cod per day so there is lots of freezers filling up. Halibut fishing is excellent as always. Salmon bellies and squid have been the best baits this past week. Good spots to try are the 8 mile pinnacles and 12 mile reef.

View attachment 33489

View attachment 33490

View attachment 33492

You are guide-you should know better -- you certainly are "NOT" allowed 3 lings a day as you stated!! Hope that was just a slip of the pen and not what you are targeting. The new regs have been in place for a couple of weeks--perhaps you should read them!

Just back from Nootka
Easy limit of 12-15lb springs were found at lighthouse at 49-75ft down out front and by monument.
CGuard heli crew was out everyday working on a tower at lighthouse
Maquinna had lots of bait with even more black seabass.

Those pink "seacucumber dildos"? are a royal pain in the a$$ if trolling.. I found they were EVERYWHERE I went on a flat calm Tuesday off shore

No lings or halis for me but easy limits on all other bottom fish
Only saw 1 commercial prawn boat working in my travels with only a few sets of line out

Just back from Nootka
Easy limit of 12-15lb springs were found at lighthouse at 49-75ft down out front and by monument.
CGuard heli crew was out everyday working on a tower at lighthouse
Maquinna had lots of bait with even more black seabass.

Those pink "seacucumber dildos"? are a royal pain in the a$$ if trolling.. I found they were EVERYWHERE I went on a flat calm Tuesday off shore

No lings or halis for me but easy limits on all other bottom fish
Only saw 1 commercial prawn boat working in my travels with only a few sets of line out
Glad you had a great trip and found the salmon!!

Thanks for the report SF. These pink dildos sound like a massive pain. Weird stuff going on over there last few years. Sun fish, large sharks, vellelium ( sp? - those purple lip looking sail jellies) weird algae blooms, warm blobs, now this. How bad did they impact trolling? Were they found at all depths? I'm heading to Nootka second week of July. Being a tad early I was planning on fishing outside toward Beano, and Maquinna. Could be a complete change of plans in the works.

They impacted trolling quite a bit--lots of false takes and lines popping off when the weight built up. Better in shore around Bajo. Creatures of tide I'm told!! This too shall pass!!

You are guide-you should know better -- you certainly are "NOT" allowed 3 lings a day as you stated!! Hope that was just a slip of the pen and not what you are targeting. The new regs have been in place for a couple of weeks--perhaps you should read them!

Thanks for pointing out my error SF...had a brain cramp as it should read 2 for limits. I have corrected the post.

First trip of the year...easy launch...started fishing at 11 near SanCarlos...had first 10 liber in the boat by noon...fishing rockfish imimitation hootchie, yellow belly and glow green splatterback.Fish were stuffed with Juvenile rockfish. Also my son Nik was out meeting Cam at Critter as he is starting out as Dock Boy...Everyone was catching fish inside...friend Randy got a 25 lb. chinook

Back